Solid State

Solid-state ONLY posts here please. Keep that tube stuff to that "other" subforum. ;-)

208 topics in this forum

• 155 replies
    • 40.7k views
  1. Raising P.S. Capacitance

• 9 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 11 replies
    • 1k views
  2. SS or Tube Preamp

• 8 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 32 replies
    • 3.4k views
  3. Amp Camp Amp 1 2 3 4

• 70 replies
    • 13.6k views
  4. Anybody here?

• 14 replies
    • 2.1k views
  5. Email from NP.

• 3 replies
    • 1k views
  6. Why I DIY 1 2

• 21 replies
    • 4k views
    • 0 replies
  7. Crown D-45 schematic 1 2 3 4 6

• 101 replies
    • 38.6k views
  8. Solid State Recap???

• 10 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 10 replies
    • 1.9k views
  9. Revox CD player advice 1 2

• 28 replies
    • 2k views
  10. Acurus 200x3?

• 15 replies
    • 2.8k views
    • 4 replies
  11. Class A

• 2 replies
  12. 2 Pre-pros / 1 Amp 1 2

• 24 replies
    • 1.6k views
  13. No Text...

• 0 replies
    • 55 replies
    • 6.1k views
  14. Dayton Audio APA-150

• 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.1k views
  15. Threshold Stasis 3 amp

• 8 replies
    • 1.8k views
  16. Amps make no sense 1 2

• 38 replies
    • 2.7k views
  17. Class D question

• 1 reply
  • Recent Posts

• I am guessing Roon uses Bluetooth to see my I5 Transporter. In that case my pc or ? with the roon ap would need bluetooth as they are not hardwired ?
    • Matti Otala (Finland) developed the method of measuring transient intermodulation distortion in amplifiers.  His AES paper was included in the Audio Papers that PWK assembled and sold in a loose leaf binder.  Google knows him!
    • My 2 cents...which may just be what it's worth. Attend to the finish. Set them up and listen. For a year. Then decide if they need help or not.   I know squat. Other than rushing into changes you can easily miss what you seek. Enjoy.
    • Contacting tech support at Klipsch has been difficult due to the pandemic. Did you get these from a dealer? If so, have you contacted them to see what can be worked out?   Have you verified it is actually the drive and not something else in the cabinet that is vibrating at a certain frequency. It has certainly happened before. I remember someone had a wire vibrating against a horn, and it wasn't always noticeable.   The Heritage series are pretty durable and long lasting, but certainly not impossible for something to go wrong.   Just some thoughts.   Bruce
    • I see your point and friends should cut other friends some slack or better deals, IMHO.   Your point is more of what I have thought about. There are people who buys X just to flip for a profit or to totally dismantle and part out, rather than let someone else buy X for less money and enjoy it. Just because I don't, I wonder if it is wrong.   Also, we can look at people who buy things that they don't need at substantially less than market value because the sellers are desperate. Are the buyers greedy?    
    • LCongrats on your La Scalas, and welcome to the Forum!   I wouldn’t worry about your crossovers for the time being.  1992 is not new, but not ancient either.  It would be a good idea to listen to your speakers for a few months without changing anything, so you get completely familiar with their sound.  Then, when you do decide to change something, you’ll be better able to decide if you made an improvement, or just a difference.   As for the water spot, I’d try gentle rubbing, with a very slightly damp cloth.  My dad once left a cold drippy pop can on the top of one of my 1974 Birch Black La Scalas.  I wasn’t pleased, but I got to work, and in about half and hour the round mark was gone.  The can had been there for less than 24 hours, which may have helped.    In a few months, it would be good to consider getting new capacitors for your crossovers.  The rest of the parts seem to last indefinitely.  While you’re shopping, better tweeters are available.  Crites is the most popular place to get update parts (they’re very knowledgeable about Klipsch speakers, because that’s their specialty, and they’re friendly and helpful, too).  There’s another site for caps that Randy knows well and will probably mention.  Now that I think about it, my 1974 Scalas were 32 years old when I got them, and yours are 29 years old, so new caps will improve the sound.   At that time (2006), I tested the 32-year-old K77 tweeters for output, using a Radio Shack sound level meter, and found a 2-3 dB imbalance between them.  I figured that couldn’t be good, so I ordered a pair of Crites CT125 tweeters when I ordered the capacitor kits, which also come with little plastic saddles and zip-ties.  Wanting to know which upgrade did what to the sound, I changed the caps first, and was quite pleased with the improved power and clarity.  A few days later, after I got a bit familiar with the sound, in went the new tweeters.  Once again, clearly improved sound.  BTW, the output difference with the Crites tweeters was only about 1/2 dB.  It was also a bit lower than the output of the K-77s, for an impression of stronger bass. Now they also have have CT120 tweeters, which are said to be even better than the CT125s.   Those two updates should make your good speakers sound better.  After that, the mods/updates/upgrades start getting more complicated and more expensive.  I’d stay away from that particular rabbit hole for a long time, maybe years.   Happy listening!
    • ES9068AS Sabre chip. 0.00009% THD, 121dB SINAD. Should sound pretty clean.  
    • Good stuff, no doubt. Could have it for breakfast with or without eggs...☕
    • @Joecoulsonis that center channel a little too tall to go on top of the furniture? Meaning it blocks the TV a little bit? If not I'd have that thing resting on top! That's a really nice piece of furniture though!