2-Channel Home Audio

Talk about stereo amp and speaker matching here.

34531 topics in this forum

1. K-HORNS FOR SALE; MINT + 1 2 3

• 56 replies
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 6 replies
    • 1.5k views
  2. Best Lubrication?

• 16 replies
  3. Mac lovers -- move fast

• 15 replies
  4. Ping Win/Dodger

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 51 replies
    • 1k views
    • 8 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 1k views
    • 15 replies
  5. A Simple Circuit 1 2

• 27 replies
    • 1 reply
  6. I'm no audiophile 1 2

• 20 replies
  7. Amplifier for my Belles 1 2 3

• 43 replies
    • 2.1k views
  8. Damped my K400's

• 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 111 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 8 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 14 replies
  9. Preamps again

• 3 replies
    • 17 replies
  • Recent Posts

• Lot's of interesting comments and information here, but it isn't answering the question that is bugging me. I'll ask a different way...   It supposedly takes 1 watt of power from the amplifier to drive my Forte IIIs to an SPL of 98 dB at one meter on axis. A 8 wpc ACA has more than enough power to do that and a 28 wpc Fisher is not going to require more than that same 1 watt to achieve the same SPL. Someone please correct me if this is not true, but it seems to be a law of physics.   If this is correct, the question is, what is(are) the benefit(s) of the additional output power of higher output amp?   I'm not asking with the ulterior motive of suggesting no benefits exist. In fact, in my response to 82 Cornwalls above, I'm saying I can hear differences that I think of as beneficial...things I don't hear from the ACA at the same SPL. My desire is to understand why. Obviously, it is not all about SPL. Maybe the differences boil down to topology and the output power potential has nothing to do with it, but posts from others supporting the use of higher output amps suggests that is not the case.   I'm still curious.
    • Increases in gain don't equate to more power. This just means that the amp can be driven to clipping sooner or later depending on the output voltage of the source. Amps that are designed as a push/pull amp usually don't sound as good when switched to triode. Most manufacturers will agree. This just gives the owner more flexibility. Then again, as in most things audio, this is subjective. You may like a pentode amp better when switched into triode. My take is different.
    • I'm working on a trade deal... my speakers and cash.   My hesitation is that they look like they were stored in a barn or a garage.... Clearly there are paw prints by the crossovers; did something get in the woofer cabinet?   At minimum I am looking at replacing the crossovers, a total cleaning, possibly new tweeter diaphragms and maybe new woofers (depending on their condition).   This looks like more of a project than I was led to believe... At this point I'm trying to decide what they are worth given their condition.   
    • Unfortunately, no difference because my caps were intact and looked good.
    • @mikebse2a3, thank you very much for doing that.  I did note the low contrast but did not have time to fix the old photo I had on my hard drive.  Regards.
    • Yes, the gain in switching produces more output from the amp and first perceptions are the the increases in volume/gain may be       laperceived as better but, longer listening ends with fatigue due to the Hi's im many cases.  Ultralinear delivers more power and promises no more. Tubes that are meant for pentode or beam triode will  work well in most systems.  All the ultralinear amp that I read and know about have more power in ultrilinear mode. The power tube is used entirely different than in tirode mode. The KT 88 pair can produce nearly 100 watts even pushing low ohm speakers..
    • They're definitely "vintage." Everything looks sound....and old. Any way to demo them? I'd wanna hear them before knowing what I'd pay for them. That being said I'd love to find a pair like that. Oh I'd plan on recapping the crossovers after seeing them.   What's the asking price? I'd move on these quick before someone else finds them.
    • I finally got some pics..... They appear to be unmolested 1974, black birch La Scalas.... Besides the dusty / dirty condition (and the paw prints), any red flags?    Thank you in advance.    
    • I think this is more of a novelty than anything. Every tube amplifier I've owned that had this functionality never sounded better in triode. Yes, you get a lusher midrange, but at the expense of everything else. The only way to do triode is with a triode tube. Not a pentode.
    • This has not been my experience with amplifiers that can switch between triode and ultralinear or pentode. Perhaps you mean gain?