Morning All- thanks for the feedback and questions. My responses:
- How do they sound/do the Utah's need refoaming? The Altec's are in good shape, or at least that was my initial take when I briefly auditioned them. The Utah's are in varying states of decay though. Surrounds intact, but failing, in one cabinet and I believe in the second they are completely shot. Little to no bass during the audition, but I have not opened that cabinet yet.
- What's my plan? I would like to replace the Utah's altogether, from what I've read the Utah's were not stellar when new, as I would like more bottom end. I've read responses on the forum that since they ported, I should have plenty of options to replace the Utah's. Looking for suggestions, do not want to spend more than $350-400 to replace the four 15's.
- Can I solder? As noted, I'm new to tinkering but have done some soldering in the past; I will be practicing and improving my skills before attempting any work on the actual x-over/refurb.
- Wood working skills? The cabinets are in really good shape given their age and their potential past life living in a Northwoods Wi, bar/pub. Current plan is leave cabinets as is, but clean up and respray the gold grills/horns.
Documentation online regarding these is rather limited, but did find an archived ad from 1967 that states the following:
- System Impedance: 8 ohms
- Crossover at 800 Hz
Hoping to get suggestions on replacement caps to:
1) Bring the back to spec
2) Ideas on how to improve their overall performance. Ex. would it be better to crossover at 900 Hz or 700 Hz?
3) Experience recommendations on woofer replacements. Ex. thoughts / experiences of comparable Goldwood vs. Eminence drivers
Thanks again for all the feedback and willing to help out a newb.