Which speaker choice???

roaddog359

Chains might work!!! I can be going for the mid evil look or gothic. I have a coouple of ideas but i will need to research it at the local home depot. I was hoping that someone in here may have already shelf mounted their center channel and they would have some good ideas.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you go to the store, just ask if they have any anchors or anything that support that much weight. I know they have anchors that support like 250 + pounds. Hell, the ones I used for our heavier pictures in the house hold up to 100 lbs, and they were like 3 bucks for 4 of them. I'm sure they make some to support that weight. Is a center speaker stand any kind of option for you?

Is a center speaker stand any kind of option for you?

No, not really. I have to mount it above my 60" Sony so the speaker will be about 5ft up the wall. I lake the Idea of the Oak Mantle shelf but I just have to figure out hoe to secure it to the wall without exposed hardware. I can make sure to hit the studs, so the weight is supported by the studs. If the mantle is hollow in the back I think I can make some supports for it. I can then build a 15" deep shelf to put on that.

• Moderators

Just been reading this and not posting, Roaddog you are in for more of a shock than you think. After you get it set up and adjusted you will have a permanent smile, this will be fun ! Your going to have real speakers ! [Y]

Your going to have real speakers ! Yes

I believe you guys!!!!!!!!!!, but I am just trying to figure out what speakers to replace the rest of the Bose with. I am wondering if I get rf 83 for up front and put the 63s in the rear I can then get some rs 62's for the rear sides. But I am wondering can you use speakers like the rf63's for rears or should you only use speaker like rs 62 if you are setting up 7.1 or should I just do 5.1 I have heard some negative about 7.1. Whats the facts on 7.1 and using rf 63's for anything other than the fronts? Are they the wrong type of speaker to use for anything other than the fronts?

First and foremost, it is your hard earned $$$ to spend. I personally think the RF-63's will be totally offended if you decide to use them as rear surrounds only, considering there is only a handfull of movies recorded in 7.1. Now if most of the use of your system will be music in "all channel stereo", then I would say go for it. With a pair of 83's up front and 63's in back, you definitely would have one heck of a soundstage. For now keep the 63's as fronts,get some rs-62's as side surrounds and listen.

Bill

I personally think the RF-63's will be totally offended if you decide to use them as rear surrounds only, considering there is only a handfull of movies recorded in 7.1. Now if most of the use of your system will be music in "all channel stereo", then I would say go for it. With a pair of 83's up front and 63's in back, you definitely would have one heck of a soundstage. For now keep the 63's as fronts,get some rs-62's as side surrounds and listen.

Bill

You are probably right! It would be a waste of money if there is only a hand full of movies out in 7.1. I mostly use the set up for gaming (xbox 360) and movies with music coming in third. What are most xbox 360 or ps3 games recorded in? I think the rs 62's may be a better choice then I can get rid on my Bose 301 series 3 that I am using for my rear sound. I am not even sure if those bose are the right speakers for rears? Thanks for bringing me back to reality!

Well I got the RC 64 today and man is it heavy! I took a peak at it but have not had time to remove it from the box yet, as i said before its part of christmas gift. But I see my problem already, the thing weighs 63 lbs and is like 13.5" deep I have to wall mount this beast. I thought about a mantle shelf like for a fireplace. Using a 5' length shelf since the speaker is almost 3' but they are only about 8" deep, I can work around that and mount a wider board on top but I am trying to figure out how to mount it to the wall studs without seeing the screws, bolts or mounting hardware. Anyone have some ideas. It has to be strong enough to hold the speaker and shelf.

You might not want to do this, because it involves drilling through the back of the speaker, but here's what I'm doing :

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/73477/722354.aspx

When I did this, it was for a center speakers. But now three surrounds speakers are mounted this way.

You might not want to do this, because it involves drilling through the back of the speaker, but here's what I'm doing :

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/73477/722354.aspx

When I did this, it was for a center speakers. But now three surrounds speakers are mounted this way.

I am not looking to screw into the speakers at all. I am just thinking of mounting a shelf to the wall and just set the speaker on the shelf. Your mounting system is one way I was thinking of but I just want to make sure it will support all the weight 15" out from the wall with a wooden wedge. 63 lbs for speaker alone and then the weight of the shelf. It will be pretty heavy!

They are listed on the klipsch site of dealers and they have 6 locations in the New York area. I am wondering if they are good to deal with or not. I hope someone has purchased from them and can let me know how they are. They have a satisfactory rating with the BBB.

True to a point Tommyboy but,they can be a authorized seller and still have poor customer service and be a horrible company to deal with. I have found mixed reviews on the web about them. But even the best companies have some bad reviews. I am looking for some first hand experience with them.

• Moderators

Wow, that's going to be amazing! RF-83's up front with RF-63's in back? Do your chairs have a seat belt cause you are gonna need em.

Still in the boxes and maybe til after Christmas, we will see if I can hold out that long.

My guess is no. LOL.

I could not pass up the deals on the rf's I still need to get 2 of the rs62's for the side surround then all my bose stuff will either be used somewhere else or sold. I already have someone asking me if I want to get rid of the bose, that he is interested in getting them. I am sure this is over kill and then some but who cares. Someone has to try and start stimulating the economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might as well be me!! ; )

Youthman, I have you to blame after seeing those cherry 83's of yours I had to have some!

• Moderators

Youthman, I have you to blame after seeing those cherry 83's of yours I had to have some!

You should thank me by buying me a pair of RS-52's. [;)] You gotta post pics once you set everything up. I think the cherry finish is georgeous.