Non-HDMI or HD Audio Receiver Owner ... Need a Blu-ray Player to accomplish HD audio ... Questions

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys,

I currently use a Harman Kardon AVR-7300 for my receiver in my primary setup. I really enjoy this receiver and do not plan to update it for some time.

I've decided to purchase a Blu-ray player and would like to take advantage of some of the newer players that will allow Analog 7.1 connection and then use the decoding within the Blu-ray player to take advantage of the HD audio tracks, etc ...

I've been eying the Sony BDP-S550 or Panasonic DMP-BD55K

Anyone else out there using the analog 7.1 connection with a blu-ray player to make up for some of the lacking options from their older, but still great, receiver? Would like some input as to how well this would work as I'm new to this configuration ...

Thanks,
TIM

Tim:

I have a similar situation, did not want to get rif of my pre/pro, wanted Blu Ray and the HD audio formats. I chose the Panasonic BD55 and have no regrets. The picture is excellent, even on my 720p native projector. The way to hook it up is to use the BD55 analog out to your receiver analog in. This usually requires that you use the Panasonic's bass management. Overall this is pretty simple to set up. The BD55 is capable of 1080/24p resolution if your monitor or pj can handle that. There is a huge thread on this player in the avs forums.

The players menu system is not the best, but if read the manual, it is understandable. I would highly recommend this player. It has some features that best the Sony player, although right now I forget what features in particular.

If you get this player, get an SD memory card for it. A few titles require the card to operate properly, and you will need it if you use Blu Ray Live, which I do not.

The HD audio quality is slightly better, although I think a lot depends on the quality and capability of your pre/pro/receiver when decoding DD and dts. If you are using analog out for HD audio, you will have to spend some time getting the bass management settings to match your receiver's digital decoding. In particular, you will need to work on the sub LFE channel. The analog out from the player will not boost the sub channel like your receiver does. You can read about this issue in the avsforums BD55 discussion. The thread is located here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1075161