Rock and a hard place

anarchist

Hi guys,

Just when I think I know where I am going - a set of Chorus' sell for 1175 and Forte's go for 900+. Who are these people buying this stuff - damn speakers have gone up an average of 50%; it is getting as bad as Harley values. End Rant.

So I go out last night needing a Klipsch fix - something different from my current system - and listen to a pair of RF-7's. Damn! The sound stage was incredible and these things cracked on kick drums; not a thump but a crack. Unbelievably tight. I heard some things in my favorite songs that I never knew where even in there. Listened to them in two channel and three channel mode with the RC-7. It was what I wanted three channel to sound like.

Now that I am completely dissatisified with my center and surrounds -still like my KG4's but they are no match, probably stick them in the kids room - I simply must upgrade. Herein lies the dilema:

I am concerned about cabinet construction after reading the posts on the KLF's and it appears the RF-7's are more of the same. They specify window bracing but just what the heck is that? Anyone (Klipsch) who can elaborate on the quality and durability of these cabinets? I love Klipsch but I would be mighty pissed off to buy an RF system and have it fall apart on me.

With an answer to the above, my next concern would be how the Fortes and an Academy would match up against the RF's soundwise. I only spent about thirty minutes listening but was really impressed with the RF's. Of course, before any decision I need a few more hours of listening to my music sources rather than the dealers but it will be difficult to decide (without your quality input) since I can't listen to a classic system to compare it against.

Look forward to your feedback - on sound AND construction.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

Remember the covers on the RF-7s are thin, the kids,or anything could damage the woofers with the slightest bump!

Klipsch has fixed the cabinet problem, a while back, dont let that stress you!

Why dont you get cornwalls, or K-horns, for that amount of money!

RC-7 or academy, will match!

Im giving you a thought, i wish you luck, and i wonder how long the passive radiators will last, in the kids room?

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim,

I am still wondering about whether to go the classic route and use fortes - cornwalls are just too wide and I definitely don't have the space for the grand-daddy of speakers.

C'mon guys, jump in here. I am looking forward to your input. I am sitting here on a fence and need some decent advice. If I could hear the Fortes myself and compare them to the RF-7's, this wouldn't be so difficult. Talk to me about sound. Also, (again directed to Klipsch moderators) is there any reason to doubt these new Klipsch will last just as long as their forefathers?

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

I think you will get answers that are biased towards each individuals personal taste.

I see no reason to doubt that the current Reference Series will not last for many,many years.

Good luck,whatever you decide.

Keith

Crash,

I'm not all that good with audio terminology like "soundstage" or "depth" so I'll describe my perceived differences between the two setups in whatever words I can come up with.

I have never heard my Forte II's or my Chorus I's in the same room as the reference setup, so bear that in mind.

The Forte II with Academy as center is a very good match, as the factory intended.

The Forte's make a lot of bass for their size, a bit better I think than my Chorus, and comparable to the RF-7's. The Chorus just make reproducing the tough stuff seem so easy...that's why they get to stay up front. I like the mids and highs of my Chorus and Forte better than I liked the RF7 - RC7 series. The RF's just have a mellower sound (with the exception of the kick drum crack type stuff).

I can't really think of anything bad to say about the RF7's. I think that they compare very favorably to my Forte II's and Chorus, and I would not call one better than the other...just different. They came in a very close second to my Chorus when I was thinking about upgrading my mains. I stuck with the "Classic" series or "Late Heritage" if you will, and couldn't be more pleased.

The up side of the RF's is that you get that new speaker look and feel. Shipping the big old boxes has made FedEx's insurance company and me very sad in the past, something that could have been avoided if I had bought new.

I guess it comes down to this. If you like the sound of the RF's, money is not a consideration, and space is....go for the Reference series. If you like your Klipsch a little more "old school", want to save a few bucks (even with those "outrageous" prices on Ebay or Audiogon), and space is no consideration....get the Forte or Chorus and an Academy. You'll be happy you did (either way).

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

Hi speedbump,

Thanks for the reply. You know I keep looking at Ebay waiting for that Forte or Chorus to come along and 'help' me with my decision. I won't rush in either direction so we will see what happens.

I have spent the last couple of days just relishing in the sound of my KG4's in two channel - bypassing all the digital stuff and keeping it simple. The fact is I love the sound of these speakers - there are areas where they are lacking but it doesn't reduce the enjoyment gained from them. I think the Forte would clearly improve the sound where it matters - in the mids and bass.

I rediscovered just how awesome it is listening to Jethro Tull (the number and different instruments used) on these speakers. I plan on hitting the audio store and just sitting back listening to Tull and a variety of other music and see how the RF-7's 'move' me. Frankly, if they perform as well as they did initially, I see it a win-win situation regardless of what I choose.

It largely will boil down to money - I can't see spending $1200 on 10 year old Fortes (even if I like old school Klipsch more than the new look) when I can get a set of new RF-7's for $300 more. Now if I heard them and they blew away the RF-7's, that would be another story.

Besides, listening to mobile homeless has made me think about creating a classic Klipsch room (strictly for music) and powering it with tubes of all things. I have to approach it one step at a time but I am thinking having both old and new is the solution to my dilema. Living here in Kentucky, I am pretty certain I can find some old tubes and/or classic Klipsch at one of the estate sales held here so frequently.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200