RF-82/RF-63

beacon

Hi; Icurrently own rf35 speakers with a rc 35 center and a rsw10d sub. Iwent to the local klipsch dealer with the intentions of completing my system with surrounds.(running on an Onkyo tx-nr801) Left the store completley confused on what to do. They have a special on the rf 82s @325 ea. and the rf 63 @ 585 ea. MY question is should I consider upgrading my mains to the 63s or 82s and move my 35s to surround, or would that system not work???? I probably listen to more 2 channel music than movies. Are the 63s a considerable upgrade in 2 channel performance??? I am also able to get the rc 64 for $585 also. PS I consider the 35s a little too bright for 2 channel, are the 63s or 82s a little warmer? Thanx in advance for any suggestions or hands on experience with these speakers

I would think it would be a nice upgrade but I am far from the expert in here. I am sure someone will let you know for sure. I just ordered the rf 63's and rc 64 The price you got would that be for the cherry finish? Who is the klipsch dealer? Are they an authorized dealer? I have been told the 63s are better than the 82's. Do you know if they have any rf 83's in cherry at your dealer? Curious on the price!

By the way welcome to the forum! I am new here also but the info is great and the people are helpful and nice. I am working on redoing my surround sound system from Bose to Klipsch RF series cherry finish. I am still waiting for my rf 63's to get to my door but the rc64 is a monster and I have the sub 12 and it rocks the house.

Welcome to the forum. As you probably know, the RF-82 is the replacement for the RF-35. Klipsch was successful in upgrading the crossovers and deepening the cabinet to get a more refined and less bright speaker with the RF-82. With the RF-82, you should notice an improvement, with the RF-63, you will see an improvement. I hope the deals you are getting are from authorized vendors, both prices are really good.

Bill

The speakers are from an authorized dealer. An invitation only sale. All speakers are in black, the cherry finish has been discontinued for some reason. My 35s are cherry so that is what I would have preferred. Still curious whether my current speakers will work with the 63s or if they will not match up in sound compatibility??

I don't think you will have a problem using the RF-35's as surrounds. It is most important to have your front soundstage(63-64-63) timber matched. The 35's would be a better fit as rear surrounds with maybe the RS-62's on the sides if you are considering 7.1. If you are going 5.1, place the 35's to the sides and slightly behind the seating position. With this setup, your system will sound great.

Bill

Thanx Willard. I am going 5.1. If I go with the 63s I assume that I will have to upgrade to the 64rc which leaves me with a perfectly good rc 35 out of the mix. That equates to $1755 for the 2 63s and the 64rc. the 82s would cost $650. Is the upgrade to the 63s going to equal the $1100 spent. Again I am looking primarily for a little less brightness for my 2 channel listening. Secondly, on a killer 5.1 system for music dvds/ movies. I only have until Tuesday to decide (sale price offer ends)

I'll piggy back on what Bill said. In all things audio, always get the best that you can afford. And what I did was sell off my old stuff to help with the new stuff. (craigslist) You will definitely to go with the RC64 as your center if you get the new mains. To answer your question about using your old main's as surrounds, yes, it will work fine. they should all blend quite well together.

the original plan was to buy rb 81s to complete the 5.1 setup. The sale on the rf series is what complicated my desicion. the rf 82s were only $25 dollars more than the rb 81s. Then the jump to the 63s entered my mind. Glad my sub and room size is not compatible to the rf 83s!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

the original plan was to buy rb 81s to complete the 5.1 setup. The sale on the rf series is what complicated my desicion. the rf 82s were only $25 dollars more than the rb 81s. Then the jump to the 63s entered my mind. Glad my sub and room size is not compatible to the rf 83s!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man...it's happening to you too! I went in to look at RB-61's and ended up several months later getting the RF-83's. It's a dreadful disease I tell you. Stay away or you will be cursed I tell you....CURSED!!! LOL.

I would also say to spend the most you can afford. Even if that means that you are going to piece your 5.1 together over time. Others are doing that exact thing, plus you are not likely to upgrade any time soon. That is until you hear the Heritage series, that is another addiction all together.

James

• Moderators

Even if that means that you are going to piece your 5.1 together over time. Others are doing that exact thing, plus you are not likely to upgrade any time soon.

Me.....It's a long process but I believe it will be well worth the wait. There is nothing worse than "settling" for something, only to find out it doesn't really meet your expectations and you end up selling it for less than you paid and in the end, spending more money than you should have. Look for deals, keep an eye out on Craigslist and be patient.

That is until you hear the Heritage series, that is another addiction all together.

That's why I have avoided the opportunities to listen to them. Ignorance is bliss...[:D]

I am unable to audition the 63s because the dealer has none on the floor. THey will have to be special ordered. Also if For some reason the 63s did not meet my expectations there would be a 25% restocking fee. The 82s have a 30 day in home trial gaurantee.. Down to 7 hours to make my desicion... Still wondering which has less brightness(easier on the ears for 2 channel listening) and would be preffered for cd sound

I highly doubt the 63's would not meet your expectations. But then again, the 30 in home trial does sound pretty tempting. Man, you really do have a tough decision to make here..........

Is there a re stocking fee for the 82's as well? If not, I say get them, and if you don't like em, take them back and get the 63's........

I am sorry you had a bad experience today. I hope you might reconsider your decision. Many on this forum can testify to the overwhelming positive experiences they have had both with customer service and tech support. Please don't let one negative experience tarnish your opinion of a company/product with such a long history of quality and loyalty. Talk to us and share your experience and give others a chance to help sort out the problems.

Bill