I'll be working an art event in Florida...stop by for a silhouette!

jt1stcav

If anyone happens to be in central Florida next weekend and wants a unique gift for themselves for the holidays:

http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/myeventspage.htm

It's obviously not audio related, but if any of you in Florida want a centuries-old art styled in the likeness of your profile (in shadow form), or have family members you'd like to have a silhouette of...please stop by and have one created.

How do you create your silhouettes? The reason I asked is that I had my childrens done when they were little. There was a lady (artist) that would come to the local malls once a year. She would have the children sit and create har silhouette while she was looking at them. She used a black piece of paper and a pair of sissors ONLY. Nothing was drawn ahead of time. She just sat there and cut while she glanced at the children. Her sissors never left the paper as the outline was done with one cut. The detail was incredible, all the way down to eyelashes and loose hair. Yours look similar to what we have at home.

That's exactly how I do it!

After my service in the Army, I got a job in '86 with a small specialty art firm commissioned to do portraits and silhouettes out at Disney World. It was on-the-job training, concentrating on just the outline of a person's profile, all the while learning how to control the scissors and learning different cutting techniques. We all had art backgrounds already, so it was basically learning how to draw all over again, but with scissors. Bad part was you can't correct mistakes...once the cut's made, that's about it (you can only trim so much...too much and it's trashed). Took about 6 weeks to learn and about a year to master.

I was laid off in 2003 due to lack of business, and haven't done it much since...until recently. I love the art form and I have no problems making them; just trying to drum up business now which is hard to do when the economy is down the toilet and people don't have the spare cash for such things these days anymore. I'm just hoping that its uniqueness and old world charm will attract a crowd at the art gig I have going on this weekend.