Which Forum Member...

colterphoto1

Yes I did feel cheated a bit All that anticipation of seeing my friend Bill and we got to spend a whopping 15 minutes together loading speakers.

Bill, those KP 362's are pretty much a mate to my KP 301's as you expected. I had them side by side in the shop and Roger and BillH thought they went well together also. Two of them stacked sounds very full range, without any subs even. Thanks!

Michael,

It was fun seeing you and Roger.

Thanks for the Timely phone call. It was truly an Honor to see Your Magnificient Garage and some of your New Toys..........[:P]..

I don't know of anyone with the Knowledge and History about Klipsch Audio Products than Michael Colter............

The speakers you had setup will do an Excellent job as you tinker, and complete more Projects ! All the Best

Very cool. I wish Klipsch would start making pro stuff again. My KP-301's had flying hardware on them mounted after they were manufactured. But they had large aluminium plates behind them and they used lots of them. Not to hijack your thread but you're welcome to have them for free if you want them. There's about 1 dozen of them. I'll take a pic if you're interested. Otherwise I'll take them in for scrap next time I go. Mark

It's incredible really how much my KP301 and KP362's sound alike.

Bill, I got one of the KP262's open yesterday, that's one beautiful network in there, I'm going to run it down and read the schematic to see what all it's doing. Lot of parts there for a two way cabinet. The Eminince diaphragms were spitting images of the originals and sound great.

The networks on these KP's are interesting Bill. They all have a single notch filter built into the HF section. Rolloff of LF is at 12 db whereas the horn comes in nice and gentle with 6 db. That's why it's critical to have the correct fuse in these speakers. Some have a polyswitch in addition to HF fusing. That's a lot of protection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking through this thread and found this comment from bhendrix..............

"Glad you got the 262's singing, Michael. They really do sound quite good, as do all the Klipsch pro speakers. Must be Klipsch has a pretty good pro engineer. Wink

Klipsch/Klipsch Pro have had many good engineers and a few marketing guys that knew what it took for a speaker to be really "pro". It was always a collaboration between the two to come up with the products that we did. The common thread between engineering and marketing undoubtedly stemmed back to one man and what he taught all of us .................. yes, THE man.............. Paul Wilbur Klipsch.

If you are talking engineering and about the 262 then that engineer was Bruce Marlin. It was essentially one of those E&M collaborations and it was somewhat a parts bin engineering effort. The 604 horn was a rework of the 602 horn that Roy Delgado did. It was reworked to accomodate a better driver and have better roadworthiness. The cabinet design was market driven. But when it came to sound ............Bruce "voiced" it beatifully. We went on to develop the 362 within days after the 262 was signed off and the 366 came along not long after the excellent market success of these two. We were clearly on a good theme.

Thack

'parts bin engineering' - meaning let's take what we have an engineer a darned good speaker from it to serve a particular need?

I agree that this has always been one of Klispch's strong points. It's accounting + engineering to give multiple uses to parts and keep inventory down while still allowing development and pioneering efforts.

Colter ...... RE K602

I'm working on vague memory about this here .....as I recall the K602 was an early Delgado Tractrix horn that had a K57K driver which was used in the Chorus II and Forte II product and entered pro in the KP320. When WWR acquired the pro business there was a manufacturing agreement with Klipsch Inc who for one year provided many of the MF/HF parts, most of which came out of the Hot Springs plant. The tool for the 602 mold was sold to WWR and it needed repair so we did the repairs and at the same time modified it to accept a better driver which was a screw on fit. I believe that became the K604KP (being for 60x40) and I think that Klipsch Inc had made another horn around that time that also had the K604 nomenclature.

Maybe I should dig up my old docs and see if this was so ............. it's been a while :)

bhendrix...........

When Klipsch Inc sold the pro business to WWR there was a good but rather "limited" pro product range at the time. Also Klipsch Pro at that point in time did not have a grip on what we called the contractor installed system business. Then they were relying on Heresy based product along with KP301 (Chorus) and KP101 for the bulk of "installation"product needs. MCM, LSI, KP450, TSCM had cinema applications and not suitable for what was the bulk of the business like houses of worship. (Ok so we did install some white KP600 systems) We needed trap boxes that could cluster and fly so the 262 and 363 were born out of that need and we had the parts for them so we literally dressed the same old girls in new dresses. We had the 602 horn which is a 60x40 and that was the ideal block to build upon. That was adapted to accept a better driver that had some extension in the upper end and Emininence provided that piece. In developing the 262 and 362 we opted to "voice" them on the intended application of vocal and live instrument reinforcement rather than strive to get the flattest possible frequency response curve. HiFi buffs love flat curves but that means little to sound reinforcement. Take a look at a lascala response curve .... not pretty but that speaker is the quintesential PA system. And I guess that answers your question and you can see the "theme" we were on.

By the way we continued on with the tractrix wave technology and developed a tractrix horns to replace both of the "heresy" horns. This tweeter horn was used in many other applications as well. John Post designed the conical tractrix used in the 102. This was his first horn design that went into production.

Also we developed new compression drivers utilizing neodymium magnets and we had a variety of metals and polymers for dome structures. Bringing these into replace phenolic domes caused many days (and nights) voicing the new and newly updated models.

Hope this helps those interested in what we were doing at pro in the 90's

Thack