Juicy Music builds a better mouse trap

NOSValves

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know Mark has a history of & a talent for exterminating mice. I refer you to the technical forum april 21-05 as evidence. I was brousing capicator information a few weeks ago & I came across this delightful thread "Draining a Capacitor" Heres the incriminating evidence on Mark as a known executioner of mice! [;)]The last paragraph in Marks post- - " My Favorite mouse trap". Mark goes on to explain how to use a 500uf capacitor to build his favorite mouse trap.The last line "In the morning scrape the mouse off the ceiling"!! I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for the best laugh I have had this year Mark. I rest my case!! [8-)] Mark has a history with mice...

In my first life I was a journeyman AC & Heat technician (vocational education in the '80s.)

A friend had a LARGE thru-wall AC unit in his goldsmiths' shop (amazing craftsman that guy) which had been partially wrenched open by a falling tree limb. That spring I did the clean out and repair of the unit... One of the leaves I pulled out felt kinda funny: Upon closer inspection, it was a wood rat which had been flattened into roughly the proportions of an oak leaf (albeit with a thick 'stem!')

Trying to run with the avatar idea above, I did some googling for 'electrocuted mouse.' Apparently, those critters get the shock of their lives on a fairly regular basis!

I did some googling for 'electrocuted mouse.' Apparently, those critters get the shock of their lives on a fairly regular basis!

Yes they do. As an electrician I've found mice and rats in smaller electrical gear but the real "fun" are the older pad mount transformers which are often the last stop for cats, raccoons and opossums. God awful smell and mess. Twice I was burdened with removing a live (and very angry) raccoon from an electrical room which had set up house. Unfortunately it was not as easy as opening the door and showing him out. One ten foot stick of 3/4" EMT, 25' of #12 solid wire and you have a make shift choke similar to what animal control uses that can help "convince" a raccoon that he is in the wrong house.

During the Police/Firemen strike in Memphis in the late '70s, everyone was on edge. There was a huge power outage, and everyone rushed to this substation, only to find a very toasted squirrel had shut down a huge portion of the city. As a news photographer, I made sure I filmed all the gory details.

Of course, that had a bit happier ending than what happened here in Chattanooga this past summer. A huge foundry had closed, with much of the facility torn down and hauled awa. Someone decided to steal some of the copper in the power lines on the property, except they were still live. Alas, the man after the copper was not alive when the police got on the scene.

Bruce

Of course, that had a bit happier ending than what happened here in Chattanooga this past summer. A huge foundry had closed, with much of the facility torn down and hauled awa. Someone decided to steal some of the copper in the power lines on the property, except they were still live. Alas, the man after the copper was not alive when the police got on the scene.

OK, that deserves a Darwin Award. Did it get one?

Reportedly there is a rash of copper theft in some back-water third-world sheeee-it hole on the continent of Africa... the kind of place where two generations of despots have put their infrastructure in ruins. Two adjacent Hgh-Tension towers are regularly scaled by battery-powered sawzall-wielding lunatics who try to cut out a stretch and drop it before the intermittent power grid comes back up.

This is, of course, apocrophyl. NOT apocrophyl is the theft of wire right off of spool trucks at the Boston Edison maintenaince facility on Mass Ave... My dad worked for BE at the time: Somebody with a little autobody shopnearby (or his employees or somesuch) would scale the fence at night and feed a cable thru the chainlink fence, drag it across the street, and spool off cable all night long hidden by their garage door. Clean up before dawn and then go to the recyclers.

Just wow. That poor rodent may have discovered the worlds fastest cure for migranes-

671,000,000 mph!

But to ^above^

You don't have to travel to a 3rd world shhhheee-it hole to find rampant copper theft (and Darwin candidates) these days.

Just Google "copper theft"

In fact the FBI recently spins it as follows:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081204-fbi-widespread-copper-theft-puts-us-infrastructure-at-risk.html

WopOnTour