Wanna See How Nice a Jubilee Can Look?

Edgar

"That shiny finish makes it look a bit like the Wilson Alexandria X-2 on the recent cover of The Absolute Sound. It's made out of their secret "X" material and sells for $148,000 a pair."

Bling is nice, but let's get real folks. I have an idea, anyone willing to spend $ 150G on speakers contact me LOL. Let's see, even for palladium P-39F's, that's 7 pair? Make it 5 pair for different rooms in your home, and 5 uber stereo amps to drive them.

There must be something special about that $148K figure -- Steinway.

"While most speakers are sealed boxes, Steinway's engineers left these open, replicating the resonance of live instruments."

"And unlike other systems, which convert the audio signal from digital to analog in the amp many sound-distorting circuits and wires away from the speakers the C is digital from source to driver."

Tell the marketing hooligans that they muffed another one.

Familiar discussion between engineering and marketing:

"You told the customer that our product can do things that it can't."

"Well, then you have to make the product do those things, because we can't sell the product if it doesn't."

"Why do you keep making promises that we can't keep? Why don't you just sell what we make?"

"Well, why don't you make what we can sell?

There must be something special about that $148K figure -- Steinway.

"While most speakers are sealed boxes, Steinway's engineers left these open, replicating the resonance of live instruments."

"And unlike other systems, which convert the audio signal from digital to analog in the amp — many sound-distorting circuits and wires away from the speakers — the C is digital from source to driver."

$7000 is the magic price point, anything less and you are a loser because you could have had Jubilees, anything more and you are an idiot because "for that price you could have had X pairs of Jubilees."

Since selling me your Khorns (not trying to put you on the spot) what speakers are using now and why....??

When I sold the K Horns I had all of the parts to build a pair of highly modified K Horns. The reason that I sold them was because I did not want to make that many changes to such rare speakers (I was told by HDBR Builder that maybe 6 pairs were made in Tigerwood). I still have everything. As a matter of fact I am doing some wood work this weekend and will probbaly attach some mahogony to my bass bins to have them complete.

Before I could finish the project I saw an old pair of B&W DM3000's for sale in the newspaper so I went and heard them. I was blown away by them, especially the midrange. I bought them. Less than one week later I drove to Los Angeles with a hangover to pick up a pair of B&W N801's. Earlier this year I sold the N801's and bought a pair of B&W Signature 800's. The N801's and S800's are just amazing. They image like crazy, true 3D deep imaging without a big gap (horseshoe shape) in the middle. They have a coherance that was like a pair of single driver speakers that I had for a short time. Tons of detail. I actually heard noise in my system that I did not hear with 103 db efficient K Horns and changed a bunch of equipment to get rid of it. And when you turn them up they just get louder, the tone does not change, images do not get bigger and they do not get harsh. I'm pretty happy with them and my wife actually likes the way that they look in out living room (they are a special edition finished in grey Tiger's Eye veneer and Black conolly leather, only 1000 pairs were made).

• 11 years later...
On 12/16/2008 at 2:10 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

...They image like crazy, true 3D deep imaging without a big gap (horseshoe shape) in the middle. They have a coherence that was like a pair of single driver speakers that I had for a short time. Tons of detail. I actually heard noise in my system that I did not hear with 103 db efficient K Horns and changed a bunch of equipment to get rid of it. And when you turn them up they just get louder, the tone does not change, images do not get bigger and they do not get harsh...

(The below is necroposting, I'm aware...but it's important to note):

This is what happens if the drivers are time aligned, the phase response of the entire loudspeaker is flattened via careful crossover design, and the horns/drivers have ~90 degree horizontal coverage vs. frequency.  Beyond that, it gets down to lower harmonic and modulation distortion drivers (AM distortion on the woofers, FM distortion on the HF drivers). 

This is what can happen to your Klipsch Jubilees if you take the time to carefully time-align K-402/KPT-KHJ-LF bass bin two-way Jubilees with improved compression drivers.  It's amazing what results from these simple changes, IMHO.

Chris

• Like 1

jorjen, is for sure the race winner when it comes the most beautiful Jub-like creation... ever!

Mine, I mean Claude's, I mean who ever he passed them of to turn out pretty nice.

I was lucky enough to get some technical advise from jorjen and jwc when I was in the planning stages... Thanks again!

When deciding hop to handle the K402s, I was inspired how jorjen gave his the look of a Klipshorn B cabinet, you can see my take on that approach.

IMG_0464_sm.thumb.jpg.985828614f8100edff261c194b89d1c5.jpg

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.f521419c14599a573aac912cb7631fc0.JPG

• Like 7

I acknowledge the beauty displayed in these recent photographs, but my preferences go in the other direction -- anything that can be done to make the enclosures less intrusive is good.

I have a 4 cubic foot subwoofer enclosure in my office. Not nearly as big as a Jubilee, but definitely not subtle. I finished it in white. It blends in with the walls so well that it's almost unnoticeable.

12 minutes ago, HPower said:

jorjen, is for sure the race winner when it comes the most beautiful Jub-like creation... ever!

Mine, I mean Claude's, I mean who ever he passed them of to turn out pretty nice.

I was lucky enough to get some technical advise from jorjen and jwc when I was in the planning stages... Thanks again!

When deciding hop to handle the K402s, I was inspired how jorjen gave his the look of a Klipshorn B cabinet, you can see my take on that approach.

IMG_0464_sm.thumb.jpg.985828614f8100edff261c194b89d1c5.jpg

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.f521419c14599a573aac912cb7631fc0.JPG

WOW!!! I don't know about winning the race, those are flat out gorgeous Man! When were these built? I don't believe I have ever seen them.

As far as my pair, you may remember that Marion(Rigma)and I built our pair from the same plans. We were assured ahead of time by CBH himself that ours were as close as one would ever get to factory at that time. Once we heard that, the build was on.

3 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I acknowledge the beauty displayed in these recent photographs, but my preferences go in the other direction -- anything that can be done to make the enclosures less intrusive is good.

I have a 4 cubic foot subwoofer enclosure in my office. Not nearly as big as a Jubilee, but definitely not subtle. I finished it in white. It blends in with the walls so well that it's almost unnoticeable.

I understand and completely appreciate your position.I usually have to take that into account as well. Just not this time.