2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

"What exactly do you mean by increase angle of vertical expansion? Are
you implying more higher frequencies out of this mid horn if there was
more vertical height "

thats the question I raised earlier in the thread.....except...my thought was not to reduce the width...just increase the vertical expansion....think about the k-402...it's square and probally is fully tractix horizontally as well as vertically. These DIY horns like the ALK one, is tractix only on the horizontal plane.

this is one reason round horns sound better than rectangle ones.

this is one reason round horns sound better than rectangle ones.

I wish I knew the answer to that first hand. Never heard a round horn.

SF. You might be right. More "square" may provide better polars. I don't know the answer to that question. This Horn here is "edgar style" in which the width is 2x the height. Again this was intentional as he describes the least amount of impedance swings with this shape. He didn't address polars in that article.....So polars weren't in mind with this horn either. I would bet ALK's Trachorn wasn't designed for polars in mind either. He describes his as an "Edgar Midhorn" too. People seem to love it. Never heard anything negative about it.

I wouldn't describe the horizontal as tractrix and the vertical not tractrix. The combination of the two make the area of expansion at a certain horn length tractrix. I can't increase the vertical expansion and keep the width the same. You would lose tractrix expansion and it would turn into something else. However, this horn can be made into a square..... which woould be 17" x 17". Might be better....don't know.

Now we could make a vertical flare and a horizontal flare that when combined make a tractrix horn. That becomes too hard for my wood working skills but I can do it on paper. Not sure if that will make that much different in the sound or not. It's all about the bubble....which I know little about.

jc

Now we could make a vertical flare and a horizontal flare that when combined make a tractrix horn. That becomes too hard for my wood working skills but I can do it on paper.

Hmmm....it's really no more difficult to build than the other horns you've been building. Feel free to PM me for details (I'm thinking it'll be easier to do over the phone).

I've actually got plans to do just what you're talking about....just need to find the time to do it.

bentz.

I'm not building any midhorns anytime soon. I can design one with curved flares top and bottom. I'm not talking about putting numbers in a program and getting calculations for me. I can make the flares. I can put it together physically too.....but there are others that can do it so much quicker and better than I. I have no desire to build one right now. I'm pretty satisfied with the one presented here already.

Goals were met.

I'm gonna scratch another midhorn horn up soon for GotHover to build if he has the time and desire. Will be similar to the one presented in this thread but Bigger.

jc

I'm gonna scratch another midhorn horn up soon for GotHover to build if he has the time and desire. Will be similar to the one presented in this thread but Bigger.

jc

I like the idea of bigger. Will you do a 150 Hz. cutoff? I'm willing to bet that you will get a better rolloff from the JBl phenolic driver if you do. Heck I have the big JBL horns that were designed for that driver. Those suckers are about 4 feet long and my DH1A's were still going strong until the 180Hz. capacitor I put on it for safety!!

Claude. I don't think I'm gonna do a lower cutoff. It can be done.....but not what I'm looking for. I still want to reach Hz in the 4-5000 Range. Those lower cutoffs with "pure" tractix or exponential make it harder to reach "higher". For lack of better description.

Still gonna go bigger. Have some other things to finish up first though.

jc

That 2380 clone is for two way isn't it....is that a CD horn?

It's a bi-radial horn with a big ugly slot. The horizontal polars are pretty consistent but the verticals are collapsed:
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2380a.pdf
They sound alright I guess. I've mixed in a lot of venues with these horns on the HF.

Kinda looks like a 402 minus a couple of holes ???? Could it be ???

You folks have messed up on the geometry.

The K-402 is close to 40 inches wide and about 28-29 inches tall. It is not square as someone suggested earlier.

The JBL 2380 is substantially smaller. A JBL bi-radial that is closer in size would be the 2360 (about 31 x 31 inches). Although it is not tractrix or modified tractrix, it is a CD horn with a similar DI to the K-402, a 2-inch throat, and can be crossed at 500-600Hz.

• 7 months later...