Did PWK live to see the Klipsch Forums? The Pilgrimage?

garyrc

I recollect that he did live to see the Forums...I was originally on here under a different name, and that account (and the next one as well) got wiped out between (apparently) Klipsch server crashes and my own PC's crashing as well. (which is why I am Boom3, my third attempt at a stable account, fingers crossed) I think my first account was either in 1999 or 2000, and PWK passed in 2002. I do not recall seeing any postings attributed to him, however, but I do remember some discussions of his health and opinions of then-current topics.

I seem to recall reading that all the postings of the first incarnation of the Forums are now lost.

PWK was at the first pilgrimage. That was a sort of a semi-private affair at Hope for the introduction of the Jubilee.

The forum was up and running at the time. I'm quite certain that PWK did not post (at least under his name). His health was not good and perhaps the Internet was not in his cognizance.

WMcD

Nice pics, Thanks!

I always wanted to meet PWK. But I knew he was getting up there and I always felt uncomfortable calling Klipsch and asking "Is Paul still alive?" or finding out he was long gone. I think he passed just about the time I joined the Forum. I really wish I were in those pictures. You guys are so lucky!!!!

Thanks, Johnny!

That brought a big S-eating grin to my face! That was the First Pilgrammage and I still want to thank, Miss Valerie, Roy, Hunter and Trey for the great Hospitality and memories.

We suspected Roy and Hunter have/do participate in the Forums and perhaps one of them talked to Mr. Paul about the discussions. No one thought he participated himself.

We organized it on the Forums (and in the background) and scared Klipsch to death, thinking we'd actually show up! Not a single one of us were axe murderers, though! LOL!

As I remember, we were mildly discouraged. After all, they DO have a business to run in a competitive industry. Still, we persisted and were hansomely rewarded. I'm still angry over a camera malfunction that lost most of my museum pics.

I still count every one of the attendees as friends and stay in contact with many.

In the newpaper photo that is John A at 9 o'clock from PWK, I'm at 11 o'clock. There were several friends of Paul and the Mrs. there and I have no idea of the relations beyond that. But they apparently were present for the purpose of honoring Paul at the release of the Jubilee.

The fellow just right of Tony is William James. I haven't seen him around here at all.

Memory is dim.

As John A quipped. We're going to meet some guys we met on the Internet in a far away place in the hinterland of Arkansas. Anyone of us could be an ax murderer.

Friday night was meeting at the Holiday Inn. The president of the chamber of commerce gave a little speech which was very funny. When Trey moved out of Hope, he became the funniest man in town. They gave out T-shirts from the watermelon festival and hand fans from the local funeral home.

Saturday we visited Paul and Valerie's home. Seen in the photos. Lots of trains and black powder stuff. I missed the first part of the address by Ms. Valerie about how the pie slice sound waves are based on seven rich years and seven lean years. I didn't know how these alternate, though.

Then we had lunch at the building that was for a short time the capitol of the Confederate States.

Then to the factory area and the museum. It was raining. Am I correct that the basement of the telephone building was flooded? Jim Hunter took us half-way down the stairs, turned around, and said that this that and the other was in the corner, then under water.

And you could smell the chicken ranch down the road something terrible.

The factory had a theater and two Jubilee's were set up with fiber glass treble units. The Jubilees had a hardwood facade and snap on grills. A Belle in the center. On a TV on top of the Belle they played Roy Orberson and other video.

There were some K-Horns flown on the other wall (not corner). I thought better treble on the K-Horns, better bass on the Jubilee.

There were photo ops with PWK. I talked to him about my building K-Horns. I recall he asked me about family history -- the founder of TI is a McDermott and started in the oil business. But then Paul drifted off about trimming a claronet reed and I was embarrassed for him. (I say this with reverence because I'm sure he was connecting with an acoustic resonance and square wave thing due to excess drive, non linearity.)

In the demo room, PWK was in his wheel chair and the guys were cranking the heck out of the system. My perception was that it overloaded PWK's hearing aids something bad.

Ms. Valerie came in with a handful of PWK neck ties. My mind mades up a story that she had gone to the front office, demanded that we have to have something for these people. When there was an objection to cost, she retorted to send the bill to Fred. These ties have a BS button on the reverse of the major point. So you can flash.

The good folks gave us laser engraved paper weights to commorate the event.

Someplace in there one of the pilgrims bought a Heresy and there was the task of hooking it up to the clock radio in the hotel room.

I found the newspaper photo, on Sunday before leaving town? I did e-mail to the paper asking for a print but got no reply. Maybe Roy could ping them.

Tony and John can fill in. My head was in overload a bit. It would be nice to have a dedicated thread were we can pool memories and photos.

Wm McD

Someplace in there one of the pilgrims bought a Heresy and there was the task of hooking it up to the clock radio in the hotel room.

Ross Taylor (first standing on the left in the pic) bought 3 black Heresy II's and we hooked one of them up to the clock radio in his motel room... sounded ok.

Tony

I'm still jealous of you guys! I was pretty new to the forum, and didn't yet have the gumption to make the trip (although I've been to Hope twice since). I believe Ross took those Heresys home with him, mounting them partway in the ceiling of his HT.

Gil, I can certainly imagine Miss Valerie acting just as you describe!