Duelund upgrade for Kilpschorn

hel-stampes

Sor you tried the "mod" that Bob and Dean are talking about but put it back to the way it was???...can someone explain to me what the snipping of the resistor does for the sound...???

Bill,

That was 2-3 years ago, I can't remember exactly what I did and I suppose I can't guarantee that the procedure hasn't changed! Maybe Bob can verify that it's been the same mod all along.

I vaguely remember that the change affected the trap circuit like Bob says. I recall something about the trap lowering part of the mid-bass response. I believe the mod dropped it further -- but whatever it was, I thought it was too much. You may recall that I make these judgments on how I think classical musical instruments are supposed to sound, and things have sounded fine since I went back to the original. But that was just by my subjective opinion.

I wondered if the change was related to closing the back of the bass horn.

• Like 1

LarryC,

As always, I appreciate your response...your descriptions of what you have heard mirror my own despite me listening more to Rock music...if this is something I could change out by just unhooking something and that is easily switched back should I also decide I prefer it as bought (AK-4), I might just give it a try...thanks for the information...

Bill

• 9 years later...
13 hours ago, Schu said:

Great for a ten year old thread.... :)

Is this the difference you saw when comparing your La Scala ii to the new 70th Anniversary model? I saw where you said one resistor was missing in the 70th model. 

They have been very successful in dialing the crossovers in.