tied of using a sub in 2ch!!!!!!

beelzebub

I have RF-83 running off a Crown XTI 1000, they can produce lots of bass as long as the amp can deliever down to 2-4 ohms as the amp you said you are getting can do. I am in a small room though 12X13 dorm room. Cornwalls are nice too but I never quite got to fully test them out.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder if the recommendations have actually been used with metal?

In my case, yes! I have RF-7s myself paired with B&K 200-watt per channel amp, and believe me, they will friggan kick *** on Metal. I've also managed to pump some metal through Cornwall IIs (never really got the chance to try the new IIIs, though). That is probably why I am trying to find a pair for my own two-channel rig.

However, my metal listening pretty much lies in the realm of power and progressive metal, as I like it a bit more melodic. All that cookie monster grunting and growling in death metal really irritates the hell out of me after awhile.

How do you reconcile that comment for your love of all things Moody Blues?

That's not Heavy Metal? :)

Yeah, I love The Moody Blues, The Beatles, and The Doors -- but I also listen to Korn, Disturbed, Deftones, Metallica, etc.

Cornwalls with the latter at about 100dB results in a nice case of earbleed.

Agreed. Having had Cornwalls and RF-7s with Dean's mod, the former will cause you to wince with metal. Also, the Corns' bass becomes flabby with certain of the hard stuff.

My vote is for modded RF-7s.

Carl.

"Cornwalls with the latter at about 100dB results in a nice case of earbleed. "

Nice to see the number dropping steadily - I seem to recall Dean used to be about 10 dB higher than that as a target.

OK - how about a pair of used KLF 30's - 4 12 inch woofers should pound out some serious base...

How do you reconcile that comment for your love of all things Moody Blues?

That's not Heavy Metal? :)

Yeah, I love The Moody Blues, The Beatles, and The Doors -- but I also listen to Korn, Disturbed, Deftones, Metallica, etc.

Cornwalls with the latter at about 100dB results in a nice case of earbleed.

Agreed. Having had Cornwalls and RF-7s with Dean's mod, the former will cause you to wince with metal. Also, the Corns' bass becomes flabby with certain of the hard stuff.

My vote is for modded RF-7s.

Carl.

where can you get dean's crossovers for the RF-7's?

...Cornwalls ... will cause you to wince with metal. Also, the Corns' bass becomes flabby with certain of the hard stuff.

Wow. You must have the famed 'GOLDEN EARS' or you simply refer to the original Cornwalls.

I'm playing a shedload of metal through Cornwall IIIs and the only ear bleeding happening is due to outrageous SPL. As for flabby bass, Cornwall IIIs have bass. Not flabby bass. Not shoddy bass. Not thin bass. Not weedy bass. Not inaccurate bass. Just B A S S. Period.

dean? you got a pm

i think i'm gonna go with the RF-7's. problem now is over spent xmas budget and product location. since the rf-7's are discontinued where am i gonna find some new ones. i might go for used if their in excellent condition. i don't trust buying used because i know how bad i abuse my drivers ;)

Here's a serious question, wht are you tired of using a subwoofer in 2 channel? A proper subwoofer will match your speakers well if you calibrate it.

I agree with Jay. You will be happy with RF-7's but you'll be happier implementing a sub........especially since you listen to agressive music.

My listening room consists of four RF-7's and three subs. After a heavy listening session.......I'm never left wanting more. Impressive. [Y]

Here's a serious question, wht are you tired of using a subwoofer in 2 channel? A proper subwoofer will match your speakers well if you calibrate it.

I agree with Jay. You will be happy with RF-7's but you'll be happier implementing a sub........especially since you listen to agressive music.

My listening room consists of four RF-7's and three subs. After a heavy listening session.......I'm never left wanting more. Impressive. Yes

i got a couple of people highly recommending a lascala ll paired up with a Danley DT20. i imagine this would be a very exspesive system. i've been informed that nothing on this earth can match this set-up

i don't trust buying used because i know how bad i abuse my drivers ;)

If you spot some that were used mostly in HT your good. Most RF-7's used in HT use also have a sub. The 7's really aren't worked that hard when crossed over at 80 or 60 Hz.

i got a couple of people highly recommending a lascala ll paired up with a Danley DT20. i imagine this would be a very exspesive system. i've been informed that nothing on this earth can match this set-up

How much money are you willing to spend?

The sky is the limit if you've got the bread.

How much money are you willing to spend?

The sky is the limit if you've got the bread.

No doubt. I'd even skip the DTS-20 and go straight to the TH-50 or even better a pair. That or DIY the bass section.

[bs]Whatever you get perhaps consider adding gargoyle sculpture's and scrawling incantations to the inside of the enclosures to ensure that they are metal enough. Add a mixture of Goat and lambs blood varnish for an immediate increase of 2-3db sensitivity with appropriately evil music of course. However the speakers will burst into flames if subjected to Neil Diamond, John Denver or the like after this modification. [bs]

No doubt, the more money you're willing to spend the better the choices.

RF-7's truly rock with that kind of music -- but if you're a bass freak you're going to need a couple of subs.

i would love to go with the rf-7's but i can't find any. went to one site but they sold out. the sales rep was like.... "huh, we sold out of the rf-7's, but we got the rf-83's.... their alot better than the rf-7's.... wanna get those instead?"

of course, i said hell no.

how money do i have? i got around $5000 for the totall system. i need to find a good preamp.... already have the emotiva mono blocks.