Things I have learned on my hi-fi journey

Chicago_Pete

There is a "golden ratio" for applying capital investiments to you system: Spend 50% on source material. Spend 25% on speakers. Spend 25% on every thing else.

If you have a system that gives you great satification, it is a shame to not have enough music to appreciate it.

Valves sound better to my ear.

You don't have to spend mega $ to get great sound.

Listen to music new to your ear. Worst case, you don't listen to it again. Best case you have a new genre or artist you enjoy. I scored a T. Monk album last week. There will be more to follow.

The chances of frying a tweeter or blowing a speaker fuse are directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed before a listening session...

Not if you have an MCM stack, where you get 110 db per watt in any room of a house. You'll blow your ears first.

Oldtimer,

The album is Misterisos, which is several tracks recorded live. Besides the artist, it was produced by Teo Macero, who got the best out of Miles. I don't like to use hyperbole, but Monk is a genious. The album had a pretty bad scratch on one side, but when I played it on the stores turntable you could barely make it out. Best $6 spent this month.

Can you recommend other albums? Many thanks.

- Mike