Things I have learned on my hi-fi journey

Chicago_Pete

Do you have my panties on babe? Cause I got yours and they ain't doing the trick.

[apologies to Hitchiker's Guide...]

Your Zarkin Frood.

I have learned it is better to listen to your ears before public opinion. Sometimes they are right but sometimes they are just biasedand you miss a great audio opportunity. Trust your ears and a good system will follow.

How far apart? Mine are 118" apart C-C which makes for a 118" x 140" x 140" triangle to my head at my "preferred" listening position. I can move to get the 60 degree triangle, in that postion the center image is slightly crisper but the width is less impressive.

Then I can always turn on the Holography on the Carver which makes for some real spacey listening!

I have learned that I was a fool to have not bought those Heresy's back in 1984. I lost 25 years of great listening. If amortized the speakers were worth every freakin penny and then some. Who would have imagined that they'd still sound GREAT 25 years later? What an investment.

I have also learned that the $240 I just spent on a mint pair of CF-3s was the best money I have ever spent on anything....well short of that 50 bucks I dropped at the adult toy store for that battery operated gizmo for my GF!

And I learned that I am an idiot for selling my dads 25 year old Sansui DB9000 (or something like that) for 75 bucks! I see them on ebay now for over 400 bucks!!!!!!

How far apart? Mine are 118" apart C-C which makes for a 118" x 140" x 140" triangle to my head at my "preferred" listening position. I can move to get the 60 degree triangle, in that postion the center image is slightly crisper but the width is less impressive.

Then I can always turn on the Holography on the Carver which makes for some real spacey listening!

18 to 20 feet apart. Toe-in La Scalas at 45 degrees, as you would Klipschorns. That make the sweet spot half that from the front wall (9 to 10 feet).

18 to 20 feet apart. Toe-in La Scalas at 45 degrees, as you would Klipschorns. That make the sweet spot half that from the front wall (9 to 10 feet).

I'd need a sawzall for 20' & I don't think the missus would be very pleased with the missing home parts!

PSG knows what he is talking about. My brother in laws listening room is 24' by 32', and his Klipschorns are in the corners on the short wall. It takes the

experience to a complete whole nother level you never knew existed.

Roger

• Moderators

I have also learned that the $240 I just spent on a mint pair of CF-3s was the best money I have ever spent on anything....well short of that 50 bucks I dropped at the adult toy store for that battery operated gizmo for my GF!

Thats funny !

• Moderators

That's a very good idea, normally pic's always help around here but I don't think that will fly here, so just the details will have to do ! The pic's could always be sent to Oldtimer just for verification purposes only.

1. Timbre matters in an HT

2. I still love my La Scala's today as much as when I bought them about 24 years ago.

3. After 30+ years in this hobby I still get giddy when I hear a good sound.

4. Her opinion does matter but if you do things right it can be changed. [H]

5. Simple is good but bigger is betterer [Y]

6. Speaker cables only matter most when they are connected right.

7. When I first got my La Scala's and I said I'd back them up with a pair of Heresy's I was wrong, I back them up with 2 pair!

• I should have listened to my high school art teacher and gotten a good stereo before I got married, or before graduating college
  • Awesome sound is not as expensive as one might think
  • Speakers don't work too well without speaker wire
  • The voices don't go away no matter how much or how deeply you suppress them
  • Get your first pair of Klipsch while you're still young
  • Tube equipment looks cool
  • Little cubes make nice paperweights but not great speakers
  • Size does matter when it comes to speakers
  • Those who say horn speakers can't produce a good image are full of [bs]
  • Audio is not a spectator sport (with apologies to Dr Ramon Avila professor of mathematics at Ball State University who always told us that mathematics is not a spectator sport)
  • Great engineering always sounds better than great marketing
  • Klipschorns can sound wonderful in a small room
  • Klipschorns are still my dream speakers after 30 years or so - well sensible dream as Jubilee and MCM pops into mind - though I still think Belles or La Scalas would be a good compromise
  • Heresies are a good compromise
  • I can enjoy good music on decent to really crappy speakers, but it is so much more enjoyable on GOOD speakers
  • The music is what matters
  • We here are not nearly as insane as those who think little cube speakers are as good as it gets