Jumping into the 21st century with a Blu Ray Player w/ 7.1 analog outs for sound.

IndyKlipschFan

I just walked into the door with the new SONY BDP 550 Blu Ray Player.

Through many discussions with a lot of you... It will hopefully will be a home run with 7.1 outs for sound to my older Sunfire Theater Grand IV. (No HDMI) But does have the 8 channel analog inputs. So please oh please let this work!!!!

If this proves to be a home run, it will delight a lot of you in here (And myself) this can be done. So I am letting the DVD player do the audio codecs. I am very happy with crystal clear 1080i / 720p HDTV but noticed below that video compatibility in my Infocus accepts 1080p as well? Am I reading this right? Maybe I will get that drop dead beautiful display as well? I say that but notice the Display technology at that time is 720p so will it scale it down or what happens here? Even at 720p it is awesome!

So do I set it at 1080p or 720p?

Specs For the Infocus 7210 Projector

Native Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Supported Aspect Ratio: 4:3, 16:9
Brightness: (max ANSI lumens) High Bright: 1100 Lumens
Eco Mode: 950 Lumens
Contrast Ratio: 2800 : 1 Full On/Full Off
Display Technology: 720p+ DarkChip3 DMD DLP by Texas Instruments
Data Compatibility:

VGA (640x480), SVGA (800x600), XGA (1024x768), SXGA (1280x1024), 720p (1280x720)

Video Compatibility:

Full NTSC, PAL, SECAM, 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1035i, 1080i, 1080p/24, 1080p/30

So does this mean I can use the full video send to this projector at 1080p for DVD's??

Color Wheel (DLP Only): 7-segment, 4x
Native Resolution: 1280x720
Projector Placement: Ceiling Projection, Rear Projection, Front Projection
SMPTE Brightness: Up to 132"/3.35m wide, 16:9 screen
Lamp Wattage: High Bright: 250 Watts
Eco Mode: 220 Watts
Lamp Life: High Bright: 2000 Hours
Eco Mode: 3000 Hours
Minimum Image Size: 2.8 ft (0.85 m)
Maximum Image Size: 17.6 ft (5.36 m)
Standard Lens Zoom: 1.3 : 1
Standard Lens Throw Ratio: 1.67 - 2.08:1 (Distance/Width)
Standard Lens Image Offset Ratio: 116% (16:9)
Standard Lens Projection Distance: 5 - 32 ft (1.52 - 9.75 m)
Digital Keystone Correction (Vertical): +/- 20°
Digital Keystone Correction (Horizontal): +/- 9°
Lens Shift: Not Available

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through many discussions with a lot of you... It will hopefully will be a home run with 7.1 outs for sound to my older Sunfire Theater Grand IV. (No HDMI) But does have the 8 channel analog inputs. So please oh please let this work!!!!

Should work fine. That's the reason Sony designed the 550 better than the 350. I know I won't give up my Aragon Stage One just to listen to HD audio. Just the ticket for those of us with older pre/pro's. Enjoy!!

SUCCESS

So far, 720p is just awessome... on a 106" screen! 1080i works.. But, 1080p does not..[:(]

The only problem so far is I am not to sure what I need to do to get the back 2 surrounds working, when movies shot in 5.1 I will re read info tomorrow.

Everything does sound clearer..I am hearing things in the surrounds I never really noticed before. The video is just outstanding, (Sent DVI) even for 720p.

So far a home run with little difficulty out of the box. SONY had very good set up material in the manual.

I will ask Michael (Colterphoto1) and others what they think later as well.

Older regular DVD's sound and look great upsampled.

I think we found a great bridge product for those of us with older Pre Amps with analog ins!!

List was 399.. bought it from Greg at Ovation in Indy for 349.00

They said the analog outs have been a HUGE home run for this unit. (For people just like me.)

LG and Samsung have units like this..with various benefits. All about the same price I went with Cnet, Picky, and the salesman's thoughts and insights.

I am not even tired, it is 3:45 AM, and I never looked at the time. LOL I better get some sleep sometime soon, the kids will want to see it all tomorrow.

Only thing left, is to see if I can get info to the back surrounds, and to re program the remote.

Home Run!!!

"The only problem so far is I am not to sure what I need to do to get the back 2 surrounds working, when movies shot in 5.1 "

You can't. Your processors processing is being bypassed in the analog bypass mode. It basically becomes an 8 channel analog pre-amp. So you can't apply DPLIIx to expand out to 7.1 or use the Sunfires bass management and so on. All that has to be done in the player.

Shawn

Everything does sound clearer..I am hearing things in the surrounds I never really noticed before. The video is just outstanding, (Sent DVI) even for 720p

Roger,

I can't image how it sounds now since it was unbelievable when I heard it before the Pilgrimage. My gf still talks about the sound for the setup. I will have to inform her that it sounds even better.

James

"The only problem so far is I am not to sure what I need to do to get the back 2 surrounds working, when movies shot in 5.1 "

You can't. Your processors processing is being bypassed in the analog bypass mode. It basically becomes an 8 channel analog pre-amp. So you can't apply DPLIIx to expand out to 7.1 or use the Sunfires bass management and so on. All that has to be done in the player.

Shawn

Agreed, that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1 logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1. You can use your other DVD player as you have for standard DVD's and still get the same processing as before.

Shawn

Agreed, that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1 logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1. You can use your other DVD player as you have for standard DVD's and still get the same processing as before.

When I make the jump to Blu I DO NOT plan to bypass my Lexicon Logic 7. I plan to input COAX or TOSLINK standard DTS or DD into my trusty old MC1 until I can afford an MC-12HD or whatever model is available at that time.

Every once in a while I turn off Logic7 and turn on basic DTS or dolby digital just to play and quickly realize Logic7 is what makes my HT sound so good.

In Logic7 besides the standard imaging between my rears and sides, once you get it dialed in just right, you get some amazing imaging between the sides and fronts. All the speakers disapear in Logic7.

That is why I would have a real hard time bypassing Logic7 and using my processor as a preamp for native signal.

JM

Agreed, that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1 logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1.

Save your $300 and go with the AVR254 - The only real difference is the Ipod dock and a very modest increase in power, and the ipod interface is pathetic. I've had both.

"that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1
logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume
that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1."

Can the H/K apply that to its 6 channel analog input? My MC-12HD can do that but not everything has the ability to process on its 5.1 channel input. It may or may not be able to. Most BD audio is still just 5.1 at this point.

Shawn

"that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1 logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1."

Can the H/K apply that to its 6 channel analog input? My MC-12HD can do that but not everything has the ability to process on its 5.1 channel input. It may or may not be able to. Most BD audio is still just 5.1 at this point.

Shawn

I'm only interested in the preamp 7.1 output portion of the HK. I plan to use it for BR HD audio and pass it to the 7.1 inputs on the Stage One, then to the Aragon 2008. I don't expect much difference in video between the Toshiba and the Sony HD players. Most of the time I listen to music in two channel but sometimes I like to pass the audio to the surrounds too and I could use the HK for that, using the logic 7 of the HK. I haven't had time to compare the Sony 350 to the Toshiba HD-A2 for video but I still like the audio sound of the Toshiba for stereo CD's.

Yes, if the movie is in 5.1, all I will get is 5.1 true.. IS there a current Blue Ray movie in 7.1 everyone loves?

(I might cheat later or at least experiment with even if not correct to do so with a "Y" adaptor lol.. But that might not sound good? Take the left n right side info and send it to the back left and right channels.)

In Blu Ray there seems to be a LOT more info in the side surrounds and it is crystal clear too.. To be honest, I do not miss anything to feel it sucks.. Just wondering if there are Blu Ray movies with 7.1 info? Let me know.

So far I have watched

Dark Knight, Cars, Rattatoui, National Treasure, in Blue Ray....All fantastic!

That said... The DPL II EX for movies in the Sunfire is pretty nice... I will still use it for all HDTV content.

Maybe the solution is using on the Blue Ray machine a optical or digital out for older DVD movies..?? That way, the Sunfire can do the processing for the older movies.

Or keep the older machine in the rack for older DVD's. If so, I will need a switcher for the DVI cable.

It still is all good! Thanks everyone!

Joe Shmoe , It starts up pretty fast.

I hit intuitively the wrong keys on the remote sometimes and have to start over.. Need to re teach myself..Grrrrr

That said, I am happy with the results.

rockbobmel<< Thank you for that list. So for all the hype.. Blue ray is basically a 5.1 system..(With some exceptions) Interesting... Time to experiment with side vs behind vs side back corner variations.... LOL......

Here is an interesting read if you
have the time.

Signal
to Noise - Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA vs. Uncompressed PCM

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM?page=0%2C1

The Sunfire TG is a very nice
piece, just because it's a little older than some of the new flashy gear does
not make it any less capable.

I am seriously considering yanking
out my TrueHD/DTS-MA capable receiver that I use as a pre amp in my main
HT and going back to either an MC-1, MC-4 or MC-8 with Shawn Fogg 8 channel
analog bypass upgrade.

Yikes what's with the formatting? I
tried to edit it out but it won't let me, Mozilla bug?

"that I use as a pre amp in my main HT and going back to either an MC-1, MC-4 or MC-8 with Shawn Fogg 8 channel analog bypass upgrade."

The MC-4 and 8 have a 6 channel bypass in them stock from Lexicon. I could expand that to an 8 channel bypass if desired.

The bypass upgrade for the MC-1 (and DC-2/DC-1) is very useful since those don't have any sort of bypass at all stock.

If you can swing it a used MC-12 gives you the option of a 6 channel analog bypass or you can redigitize the 6 channel input (at 96/24) to allow full processing of the signal including Logic 7, bass management, room EQ (if equipped) and so on. The used price on some MC-12s at this point is crazy low depending upon software/hardware level.

Shawn