Jumping into the 21st century with a Blu Ray Player w/ 7.1 analog outs for sound.

IndyKlipschFan

Here is an interesting read if you
have the time.

Signal
to Noise - Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA vs. Uncompressed PCM

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM?page=0%2C1

I'm surprised they left out the testing of something else - dynamic range. That's where I've noticed the biggest change between a 448kbps DD track, DTS, and something lossless like TrueHD.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on using the side surrounds AND backs for Blue ray 5.1 feed ? use a " Y " splitter so send the signal to both surrounds (side n back) in Blue Ray mode? So at least a 7.1 type sound experience comes back at you ? (Because there are very few 7.1 movies in blue ray.)

Or would you just send the surround info back to the backs anyhow? I know Colterphoto1 uses a good 5.1 set up with em behind him and it works very well. (OK, It sounds great) (Even though your supposed to have em on the side walls to the left n right of your seating position.)

I will experiement in a non scientific (reccomended) ways with various set ups and get back to you!

It still is awesome.

"use a " Y " splitter so send the signal to both surrounds (side n back) in Blue Ray mode?"

Plenty of those that use my bypass with the Lexicons do that. On the MC-4/8/12 when they are in the factory analog bypass mode (6 channel input) they send the signal to both sides and rears by default at reduced level to keep things balanced.

If you do this recalibrate your levels using the players output level menu. You will likely need to drop the surrounds by about 3dB to account for the two pairs of speakers playing.

The other thing you can do if desired is get something like the SMART CS3X Surround EX Decoder. There are a number of ways that could be used.

1) Feed it the two surround channels from your player. Feed its L/R output into your sides and its center out to your rear speakers. That will basically steer out any common material in the surround channels (from the source) into your rears.

2) If you had two of those boxes you can feed it left front and left rear and take its center output to your left side. Then use the other one to do the same thing on the right side.

3) Feed it the front L/R and takes it surround output and feed that to your rear speakers. In essense what would have imaged to the rear in your L/R in the first place would be steered there with this box.

Or keep it simple and use the Y cables.

Shawn

" Can you not use the Coaxial Audio Digital Output from the 550 to your
Sunfire & utilize the Dolby EX internal to the Sunfire for matrixed
7.1 sound??"

Yes but they you are listening to the lossy compressed DD/DTS soundtrack and not the lossless soundtracks available on BluRay. Sort of like the difference between MP3 and CD except over 6 (or 8) channels instead of 2.

Shawn

Roger, I think you hit a home run tonight with your Blu-Ray hook up. Using the Y cable to link the side surround outputs to the Sunfire inputs for side AND rear surround allowed us to engage your matching LSI rear speakers as well as the THX 525 side surrounds. They seemed pretty balanced to my ears, I think the height of your LSI HF sections coupled to the relative distances of each set to the listening position helped. To my ear the surrounds didn't have the amount of dramatic shift L to R but there was planty of surround information and it sounded more NATURAL to me. I think this is the key. Like your THX subwoofers that called attention to themselves until you finally got the additional control box, this application of surround is a little more gentle, a little more like the effect you'd hear in a large acoustic space like a real cinema. After all, isn't that what we're after?

Setting up the LCR to small and tweaking the balance of speakers within the Blu-Ray was another nice fine-tune. Since the signal is running via analog inputs to the Sunfire (which will have no further control over the sound), it is important to address as many of the balance issues as possible within the Blu-Ray.

I think this evenings session was very productive. The tracks from Cars, Dark Night, and your THX test disc sounded tremendous. I'm amazed at how familiar you'd become with the remote in like 36 hourse, man you were buzzing through the menus.

It was a good Christmas Eve, I was glad to spend it with good friends!

Michael

Here is an interesting read if you
have the time.

Signal
to Noise - Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA vs. Uncompressed PCM

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby_TrueHD_DTS-MA_versus_Uncompressed_PCM?page=0%2C1

I'm surprised they left out the testing of something else - dynamic range. That's where I've noticed the biggest change between a 448kbps DD track, DTS, and something lossless like TrueHD.

So... What's the bottom line ? Is the new HD sound worth it?

I plan to buy a BR player tomorrow. I don't have an HDMI receiver so need 7.1 analog outputs if I am to enjoy these codecs before I upgrade my receiver in a year or two. But then I'd have to occasionaly swap the analog connections between the BR player and the SACD player. My display is 720p.

Some choices are:

Sony S350 for C$200 (Cheapest; no analog outputs)

Sony S550 for C$300 (Has analog outputs)

Panasonic BD35 for C$300 (No analog outputs, but said to have nice upscaling of DVD)

Worth C$100 for HD sound? HD sound worth trading for better DVD upscaling of the Panasonic?

Thanks!

Agreed, that's why I am interested in the HK AVR-354. It has proprietary 7.1 logic (movie and music settings) which expands 5.1 to 7.1. I assume that you will use the 550 mostly for BD with HD audio which is 7.1.

Save your $300 and go with the AVR254 - The only real difference is the Ipod dock and a very modest increase in power, and the ipod interface is pathetic. I've had both.

Eskimo1, took your advice and bought the AVR254. Nice receiver. Very intuitive interface. Now, the only problem I see is that the receiver, in some audio formats, will not let me select logic 7.1. The receiver chooses the format selected on the BR player. If PCM is chosen, then logic 7 is availabe by default but if DTS or DD is selected, the option for 7.1 logic is not available. None of this is a problem since I really wanted the AVR254 for use as a preamp for listening to CD's in logic 7 and to pass the BR video to the monitor in HDMI. CD's sound great passing through the Aragon Stage One with the 7.1 logic processing. Their processing is interesting and there is discrete audio in all six speakers. Thanks for your advice.

So how do you like the HD sound ?

Is it a true upgrade over legacy DTS and Dolby Digital?

I like the HD sound... The side surrounds are clearer and seem to have more info.. or maybe I am just hearing it better!

Ok the Sunfire is an amazing pre amp.. And not saying this because I have it... It is. The HD formats are impressive but I am already starting in that + 90% I am happy already area to start with,,,, So yes, a true upgrade, but not like having a boom box in mono and going into a full 5.1 HT.

Older movies look fantastic and visually and sound wise sound great!

Michael and I agreed on one thing, as the formats get better and better with more info, you better have great speakers capable to handle it all too. On Blu Ray the movie "Dark Knight" on a sub par system unable to give you that HT experience just isn't worth it Your gonna blow speakers or be very dissapointed..

With the speakers I have, (look below) I am more than impressed they can, and do make my HT one heck of an experience. For those of you that have been here before... WOW are you in for a treat!!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...