Stereo stand above Cornwall II

kmill99

Hi everyone.

I would like to utilize the space above my 1985 Cornwall II for a receiver. It is in a a corner, and since I have a Pioneer SX-1980 (78lbs) I dont want to set it on top of my Cornwall, but I do want to utilize that space. It looks great, and all the wires hide nicely behind the speaker.

I need a stand that will go OVER the corwall, without blocking any sound or visual. I was leaning towards a rod iron stand (4 legged with flat platform on top) so it is strong enough. It is off to the left of my brick fireplace, so rod iron, or would match the fireplace utensils etc. I am afraid that wood would cover too much of the beauty of the speaker.forums Maybe I thick piece of fine wood on top of the speaker would suffice?

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. (See attached photo)

Thanks,
Kevin

post-17861-13819435774102_thumb.jpg

What about a corner tv wall mount? Something like this one, http://www.mountsandmore.com/Peerless-WB27T-PE0139.html.

Your other option might be a solid piece of wood on top of the Cornwall then you sit the receiver on that. Just to distribute the weight of the receiver and not leave any indents.

Last option is to get glass top for the speakers then you will have the felt pads, you can find them at Home Depot, in between the tops and the speakers. Then you can place the receiver on the glass tops and you have the protection for the speakers.

James

I have never had anything that heavy on my speakers before but I don't think you have to worry about bowing or warping.

Plus the glass tops will help protect the wood finish from marks. I have 2 pair of Cornwalls and have glass tops on both, in-fact I have glass tops on all my tower speakers.

James

Thanks James. Would you place multiple soft pads under the glass to help distribute the weight? Would the more pads under the glass be better, or would it be best to simply set the glass on top without pads? I am not an engineer so I don't know exactly which is the best method of weight distribution.

Thanks again everyone!

At the moment I only have (4) pads under the glass, one in each corner. But yes I would but more under if I were you, maybe (8) total, one in each corner then one at each mid-point so each edge would have (3). You want something under the glass to help air flow and the wood to breath.

James

Hi James. Out of my collection the Sansui G-9000db is my favorite, but I have not had a chance to put the Pioneer SX-1980 to the test yet.

As far as the 730 vs 930, I found the 930 to be a completely diffrent receiver. To me, the 930 was far superior and the sound quality was superb compared to the 730. The 730 (though nice) just did not have enought "oooomph" for the Cornwall's. The 930 was a much nicer fit. T

Now...... The Sansui G-9000db and the Cornwall II's. BUCKLE UP! It "thumps" like you would not believe! Like getting kicked in the gut when you crank it up, but low levels are just a sweet.

Kevin

James:

I'm not sure what your listening preference is, but if you really, really, really want to hear what Cornwall II's sound like........ Hook up a Sansui G9000 or a Pioneer SX-1980, or a Pioneer SX-1250 etc etc. Something with a bit more power.

I am still in awe years later. I love the low level listening but I like to crank them up too! And boy....... Can they kick! Whoaaaaaaa