Reference series or the THX-system

jha

I am building a dedicated home theater system, and was wondering which of the above systems would be best and by what margin? I am only concentrating on the sound of the speakers in the systems and NOT the subs. The two systems I am thinking about is:

The thx-ultra 2 system.

2xRF63 + RC64 and matching rears.

The thx-ultra system is much more expensive, but will the sound quality be worth the difference?

Best regards,
Jonas, Denmark.

I think the room is about 3x4 metres. (1 meter = 3.2 feet). A little sketch of the room below :)

---------------------
| |
| |
---------------------

Front speakers are places at the 3 metre-wall.

I have acoustically treatened the room with Rockfon on front wall, rear wall and side walls.

I read the thread which linked above and can't seem to figure out what conclusion is made :) It would be nice if anyone has actually heard both systems. Unfortunately, no stores actuallty have the thx-system for demonstration. So if I want to hear it, I have to buy it :-)

Hi Jonas,

I am only concentrating on the sound of the speakers in the systems and NOT the subs.

If only comparing the RF63 to the KL-650, the 63 is rated to go lower than the 650.

The advantage to the THX is that all three front speakers are exactly the same. The Ref will have a slightly different center.

The THX was really designed to work as a system with the subs. To exclude subs from your analysis may be omitting important design elements. The THX is really an outstanding system.

Welcome to the forum. Go with the the RF-63 system. Plenty of sound for your room. With the money saved(50--60% less than the THX system) you could really buy a quality preamp/amp, projector/screen, or HT furniture or all. I have the RF-63's in my family room(16ft x 30ft with 12ft ceiling) and my system really rocks the room.

Bill

It's not that i'm not gonna use a sub with the speakers. I will split at 80hz no matter which speakers I get.So how deep the speakers go, doesn't matter.
But it sounds like the general opinion is, that the difference in sound quality is not worth the difference in price? :)