Billie Holiday Rules!

Batmans Robin

To me the first Robin was the only one worth a damn: Dick Grayson. Although I was moved much later by Carrie Kelly, in Frank Miller's Dark Knight series. I channel both of them, in a 95% - 5% ratio. Just a touch of Carrie (keeping in touch with the feminine aspect of my masculinity).

Burt Ward: DON'T EVEN GO THERE!!!!

That Japanese Verve set it pretty cool. I bought one new back in the 80's. I think I'm going to sell in on ebay next week along with the Charlie Parker set and a mess of Mosaic sets that I never open or play.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not one to keep something around when I've lost interest in it and moved on, either.

A young new singer MADELEINE PEYROUX some say has Holiday,s style ,,, In her CD Careless Love,,Listen how she sings,,, She sings " Your gonna make me lonesome" I think of Holiday with that one

I hope you're just pulling my chain. There is no point, no point at all, in listening to some dime a dozen copycat ****, when you can listen to the real thing. "Accept No Substitute" as they say.

That Japanese Verve set it pretty cool. I bought one new back in the 80's. I think I'm going to sell in on ebay next week along with the Charlie Parker set and a mess of Mosaic sets that I never open or play.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not one to keep something around when I've lost interest in it and moved on, either.

I bought most of the Mosiaics because I kinda got caught up in buying them as they were released. SOME of them are really something--unreleased stuff that is jaw-dropping (the Sonny Clark/Grant Green and the Tina Brooks sets for instance), while others are just a whole bunch of stuff I already have original pressings of. The ones I don't listen to are going.

The Japanese Billie and Bird sets I bought brand new, but again I have all of the original LPs (and some of the 78s too) and I prefer to listen to the originals.

A young new singer MADELEINE PEYROUX some say has Holiday,s style  ,,, In  her CD Careless Love,,Listen how she sings,,, She sings " Your gonna make me lonesome"  I think of Holiday with that one

I hope you're just pulling my chain. There is no point, no point at all, in listening to some dime a dozen copycat ***, when you can listen to the real thing. "Accept No Substitute" as they say.

Hey now....Madeleine's got the goods!!!! Don't listen if you don't want to ........things evolve....What ,you don't listen to Lee Morgan, because he studied under Dizzy?

The female jazz voice is a very personal thing and for me, at least, preferences change back and forth over time. For now, I care to listen to and enjoy Billie Holiday about once or twice a year. It’s about the same for Peggy Lee, Nina Simone, Diana Krall or even Ella. On the other hand, I can and do listen to Helen Merrill quite often. I also enjoy Helen O’Connell and Martha Tilton on the BB side.

Michael - I’d say Lee Morgan was a quick study! I just finished spinnin’ “Minor Move” and his performance on “The Way You Look Tonight” would suggest he graduated with honors!

Michael - I’d say Lee Morgan was a quick study! I just finished spinnin’ “Minor Move” and his performance on “The Way You Look Tonight” would suggest he graduated with honors!

Yeah, Lee pretty much showed everything he had at age 22 on that solo. Still don't understand why Blue Note recorded this record and then left it in the vaults for over 20 years. Speculation is that the ensemble blowing was a little "loose" by Blue Note standards, but I dunno--Minor Move is one kickass hardbop record. I remember hearing this one for the first time when I was still living in San Francisco--bought the Japanese LP for some sort of insane price and literally RAN home to play it. Still have the same LP and it still hits me right in the gut, even after 25+ years. It might not be the masterpiece True Blue is, having much more of a "50's" feel and definately looser in every way (blowing and composition), but it remains one of my all-time favorite records.

e14922zh2ls.jpg

+2

Minor move is a very very nice album!!!...Who knows what the politics at Blue Note were at the time....just glad they released it Makes you wonder how many other jewels were recorded and never released???...... Actually, thats one I need to find a better copy of...mine is a garage sale find thats only about VG