The "Listening Chair"

mikebse2a3

Many of my forum buds have sat in this chair. Even one person (who shall remain nameless) tumbled backwards as the bed risers gave way.Surprise You can see from the picture that I elevate the chair in an attempt to sit level with the mid horn. The risers, stolen from my daughter's dorm room, actually serve their purpose rather well.

I was also one of the lucky few that have gotten to sit in this so called "pitiful" chair, and I can gurantee that it is anything but! To be honost, I never really noticed how the chair itself looked as I was way more interested in what was at the other end of the room, or more precisely, what was coming out of what was at the other end of the room.

For what it's worth, here are my listening "chairs":

For the upstairs "HT" setup:

ListeningChair001Medium.jpg

And for my downstairs "two-channel" rig:

ListeningChair002Medium.jpg

Now, I'll admit that is pitiful, but like that famous quote out of that one movie - "Frankly my dear, I don't give a d[A]mn".

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is pitiful. Sorry to have to say it, dude, but it is.

It may look pitiful to you, dude, but if I wanted to impress you I would have taken a picture of the $4,000 leather sofa in my Cornwall room which, by the way, is not nearly as comfortable as my pitiful chair. I promise you will never have the opportunity to stoop so low as to have to see it in person.

I've seen much better looking furniture refused by the Salvation Army as a donation. Why you would buy a couch, even if it was only $4K, without sitting in it first, who knows, go figure.

Peace, bro. I used to sit in a bean bag chair before I got class.

Now, I'll admit that is pitiful, but like that famous quote out of that one movie - "Frankly my dear, I don't give a dAngelmn".

Steve,

Love the 1x bracing. And it is a bit pitiful looking. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a bean bag?

Now, I'll admit that is pitiful, but like that famous quote out of that one movie - "Frankly my dear, I don't give a dAngelmn".

Steve,

Love the 1x bracing. And it is a bit pitiful looking. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a bean bag?

That chair was part of my original dinning room set that I bought when I first moved to the area some 15 years ago. It was some cheap Wally-World special that I only paid around $120 or so for the complete set. Sad that I still have the complete set down here in the basement. That bracing is a fine piece of engineering there, using only the finest Popular that I could find. [:D]. I guess one of these days, I'll have to scrounge up something a bit better, but hey, it works, so what can I say.

Many of my forum buds have sat in this chair. Even one person (who shall remain nameless) tumbled backwards as the bed risers gave way.Surprise You can see from the picture that I elevate the chair in an attempt to sit level with the mid horn. The risers, stolen from my daughter's dorm room, actually serve their purpose rather well.

I was thinking about raising my couch about 15 inches off the ground. I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking like this.

Way too dangerous. Didn't you read about Colter's mishap? I think this might be the way to go:

2262994916_ca6a5d38d8.jpg

Oh my gosh Fini, I think I busted my speen laughing at that!

Truth be told, for the most part, I dont just sit and listen. When I do it's on the couch that faces the speakers that you can just see the edge of here. Most of the time I put the music on and just wander about!

Fantastic room... love the architecture! Tell us about the piano... do you play?

Rob

OK... I am way out of my league, but here goes anyway...

CIMG1868.jpg

And from the other direction (you can just barely make out he back of the chair)

CIMG1902.jpg

Stay warm!

Rob

Could you post a pic of your khorn top hats? I remember you were talking about finishing them but I missed thefinished product.

Sure, Seti... here's a couple of shots of the "finished product" (gee it feels great to actually finish something!)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here are the links to my description of the project(s)... earlier posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the beginning of the project... complete rebuilding of the "top hats" and other upgrades...
And I made some corner absorbers for above the Klipschorns... they turned out really nice!
All the best!
Rob

OK... I am way out of my league, but here goes anyway...

CIMG1868.jpg

And from the other direction (you can just barely make out he back of the chair)

CIMG1902.jpg

Stay warm!

Rob

Could you post a pic of your khorn top hats? I remember you were talking about finishing them but I missed thefinished product.

Sure, Seti... here's a couple of shots of the "finished product" (gee it feels great to actually finish something!)...

CIMG1578.jpg

CIMG1579.jpg

And here are the links to my description of the project(s)... earlier posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the beginning of the project... complete rebuilding of the "top hats" and other upgrades...
And I made some corner absorbers for above the Klipschorns... they turned out really nice!
All the best!
Rob

Nicest top hats I've ever seen.

Truth be told, for the most part, I dont just sit and listen. When I do it's on the couch that faces the speakers that you can just see the edge of here. Most of the time I put the music on and just wander about!

DSCN3177.jpg

This is such a gorgeous, inviting room!!! Just beautiful. If you need someone to house-sit, just ask [:)] [A]

Sitting down in one place is for gearheads. Those who love music have to get up and move, at least now and then. That's where they came up with the term "moving," as in that music was very moving.

Thanks Rob,

Your room is pretty spectacular as well. My Piano is a 6'10" Schimmel. I love it. And yes I do play although not as much I used to.What is the piano in your room looks to a 7 footer.

Josh

Josh... A 6'10" Schimmel is a magnificent instrument, indeed... how fortunate you are to have such a superb piano!!

The piano in our Music Room is a Yamaha 7'6" "C7" Conservatory Grand." My wife is the only pianist is this place, though...

Rob