Klispch RW-12d Sub (Hookup Assistance)

hamboneosu

Greetings Klipsch Owners,

I have recently purchased a Klipsch RW-12d subwoofer to integrate into my small home theater setup. My previous subwoofers were not as advanced as the Klipsch model and required only a single cable connection (Monster Ultra THX 1000 Subwoofer Cable) that ran from the receiver into the subwoofer. I have read additional materials regarding the LFE and other input / outputs of the sub, but am still a little confused on what a good, general-purpose hookup for this subwoofer should be (mostly non-BluRay movies & video games are used on this particular system).

The receiver is an Onkyo SR-806 and the accompanying speakers are Klipsch Reference series (RC-52, RF-62s, RS-52s). Having front speakers that can be wired for a bi-wire connection is also a little new to me--so, any assistance or recommendations on the 'best' connection method for the RW-12d sub is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help [8-|]

Best regards,

Hamboneosu

Welcome to the forum Hamboneosu,

I wouldn't worry about bi wiring your speakers and the best connection for your sub will be going from your AVR's SUBWOOFER OUT and get a y-splitter at the end of your subwoofer cable to connect to the RW 12d's L & R IN.

If you're connecting from the LFE/Subwooofer output, you do NOT need to split it. The R/L inputs on the sub are summed into one so it makes no damn difference!

Thank you to everyone who has offered help and advice for hooking up this particular sub and speaker combination. I look forward to trying out the suggested designs and enjoying some excellent low sounds. Please feel free to post any additional sub-related or wiring-related tips--and thanks again for the pointers and welcomed assistance.

/cheers

If you check  your manual, it usually says to use specifically either the right or left LFE input if you're only using one for that very reason....

The RW-12D says and/or both. This is basic electronics, when you split and connect to both inputs, you WILL get an increase in voltage, a decrease in resistance, and the current stays the same. So the signal will be a little stronger. I would recommend that you use the line inputs since the Onkyo has decent bass-management. Make sure you match the crossover frequencies in the sub and the receiver. Turn the LFE all the way up in the receiver and adjust level on the sub so you're sure to get a good clean input signal. When you get the sub and speaker levels matched up well, turn the parametric EQ off (0 attenuation) and run a low frequency sweep on Avia or a similar set-up disk. Turn the volume up high and listen for the frequency that makes your room rattle and buzz the worst. Thats the one you need to cut. Start out with a -3DB with mid Q and go down to -6DB if you need to; rechecking the sweep. Once the frequency no longer rattles and buzzes (any more than the rest), dial the Q tighter until you start to hear the buzz again and then go back a smidge until it's gone again. You definitely need good placement and a sound pressure meter to get your sub to sound its best, parametric EQ will help at loud volumes to keep your room from distorting the bass too much but is not absolutely necessary.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice until after that the Onkyo has a graphic EQ and not parametric. The same principle applies though, use a LFE sweep to find the offending frequency and cut it 3 or 6 DB. Don't try to boost frequencies or cut more than one unless your room has two VERY pronounced buzz/rattle frequencies.