Heresys on $20,000 tube rig?

russ69

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a pair for my second system but I'm having some doubts lately. I would like to hear from the hardcore audio tweakers. Sorry to say this but if you are running a pair with a 1970's receiver and lamp cord I don't want to hear from you. I would like to hear opinions from the guys that have put them on their main rigs and tried to extract the very best from Heresy III's. Anybody done it? How were the results?

Thanx, Russ

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your request that lamp cord guys not repsond has caused me to delete something twice. I've got the equal to lamp cord going to both halves of my (biamped) speakers. I DID however, cut the oxidized part off a while back... [:P]

Since no one has yet responded, I'll let it happen this time.

My main question/curiosity is... what is the final goal that you want to achieve?

Do you already have this $20K amp? If so, are you just curious how it might sound on Heresy's?

What kind of amp? How big is your room? How loud do you like to have it? Do you like to "feel" it?

All that because I'm thinking if someone mates $20K amps with Heresy's, they could have probably achieved a more dramatic sound had they gone with Cornwalls, LaScalas, Khorns and the like, with even perhaps, a less expensive amp.

If though, for some reason, you already have the 20K amp and are beholden to it, I suppose telling us what kind of amp it is, would be of more help than the cost of the amp. After all, a 20K amp COULD be a tiny flea amp with .02385 watts of gold plated power or it could be a tubed monster amp with 500 watts.

(My assumption here is that you are talking about the sound quality and not simply the loudness of the speaker, or the ability to blow out candles at 20 paces etc. )

Your assumption really gave me a laugh...

I'm curious if you had the angled risers on the Heresy's you were using? tilting them back really helps the sound stage without hindering the already lacking bass response ... I used original Heresy's for a couple years early on with great results but found they really sounded best with not so honest to the source modern electronics driving them (vintage integrated tube amps). They need that kind of vintage softer/warm presentation is what I found. I revisted my Heresy's with my now much improved tube electronics (high end to me) a year or so ago in my livingroom and found them to be really nasty beasts with a more transparent/hi rez gear driving them. I heard the Heresy III's in hope a few years ago not sure how they would do...

Russ,

What exactly are you doing, buying Heresy III's for a main system as a back up pair or are they going into a second system that cost $20K?

If it is a second system is there a space limitation where you cannot fit larger speakers?

I can't speak directly to the Heresys in a high end system but I do not subscribe to the "spend all of your budget on speakers" theory. I have heard a 25 year old pair of speakers in a $50,000 system in place of the $20,000 main speakers (so I guess $30,000 of front end) and they sounded fantastic, way better than I ever imagined. The 25 year old speakers were pricy back then (about $2500 of $3000) but this system really sounded great with the lesser speakers (I'm talking about the audiophile stuff, imaging, voices, soundstage, etc.). Now, the "regular" speakers are much better but you get the idea.

So I am saying the same thing as Mark. If you are building a second system this does not make sense as you can use much less in front end gear, but if you have the gear lying around and have a space limitation and want Heritage, sure, go for it.

Your request that lamp cord guys not repsond has caused me to delete something twice. I've got the equal to lamp cord going to both halves of my (biamped) speakers. I DID however, cut the oxidized part off a while back... Stick out tongue

I had to do that myself. I have spent the last several minutes cuddling my lamp cords so they wouldn't feel bad.

Your request that lamp cord guys not repsond has caused me to delete something twice. I've got the equal to lamp cord going to both halves of my (biamped) speakers. I DID however, cut the oxidized part off a while back... Stick out tongue

I had to do that myself. I have spent the last several minutes cuddling my lamp cords so they wouldn't feel bad.

Boy! My amps' feeling are hurt. I talked to them though and they're ok for the moment. They understand that they are not in the serious tweakers part of town and can live with that. They also promised not to go out on any dates with the Lamp Cord section of stereo town...[:D]

"....

Sorry to say this but if you are running a pair with a 1970's receiver and lamp cord I don't want to hear from you.

...."

Gee Russ,

Right now I am listening to a Heresy driven by an old Nakamichi SR (Stasis) receiver using what you would call lamp cord. It actually sounds pretty good.

I guess my point is that the best sound comes from sensible decisions. My own view is that you should spend the big dollars on the speakers and then spend your effort on setting them up properly in the room (geometry, location etc). Those are the decisions that make the biggest impact. Electronics is not at the top of the list, in my humble opinion...

Unfortunately, you will probably see that I use a beat up Nakamichi receiver and ignore the advice from such an obvious cretin such as myself.

Good Luck anyway,

-Tom

I have 2 pairs of Hersey I's and have powered them with my lamp cord system comprised of 2 MC-2000's, 1 C-1000T/C-1000P, MDA-1000, MS-300, and monster sigma retro cables.

I have also ran them on Marshal, Carvin, Peavey, Dynaco tube amp gear.

The results were that the Hersey, while a nice system, does not stand on it's own in the bass area, and is a little lacking in the mid bass area. You basically need a sub woofer to fair them out.

Boy! My amps' feeling are hurt. I talked to them though and they're ok for the moment. They understand that they are not in the serious tweakers part of town and can live with that. They also promised not to go out on any dates with the Lamp Cord section of stereo town...Big Smile

You just keep your high flauting, amplifying thingy ma bobs on you own side of the tracks. If I catch'em any where around my lamp cords it's shotgun wedding time, hear me shipmate!?

mdeneen, NOSvalves, tigerwoodKhorn,

Thanks for the replys, all very insightful. I wanted to get opinions from what I call the "red wine" audiophiles. The guys that can sit and savour the nuances of a system and have the kind of budget that they are not limited in their selection of gear. I wanted to hear from the guys that have no trouble paying 300 bucks for an interconnect cable (or way more), if that what it takes to get the system just perfect. The guys that spend the time and money to get a system just so.

I have 2 very modest systems but they are very much over-achievers, in their price range. I value all the opinions here on this website but I want to hear from guys that are closer to my experience and sensibilities. Please chime in if you have something to add.

Thanx, Russ

Coytee, et all,

I'm sure your Jubs are just awsome and I'm sure the others systems are fine as well. Don't take what I said as a knock, heck I used lamp cord for 30 years and thought it just right, it just doesn't work in the systems I have presently.

Though I most certainly fall somewhere near the lamp cord group, and by transitive property, shouldn't speak, I find it difficult to feel intimidated by somebody whose avatar features a scooter.

Is it just me, or would you have been beaten up at most high schools riding that thing? Hard to explain about great gas mileage while the captain of the girls' basketball team is stomping you in the parking lot.

No harm meant or taken - I freely admit my scooter bias.

• Moderators

I remember that song,..... red red wine [8]

Ok KDcarroll don't be giving him a hard time about a scooter that's not right, it's not like he posed with it or anything..........oh never mind I take that back. [:$]

Russ69, just joking with you don't take it personal, I try to give everyone a hard time equally, stick around we need someone who can hear differences in wire, we are mostly old dudes around here with hard heads, did I say old, ok just wanted to make sure ! [;)]

I DID ride a scooter in High School! Never had any trouble at 6 foot 3, although at 165lbs I wasn't that impossing. My other bike until recently was a Hayabusa if that is butch enough for you (replaced by a Ducati)! You have to be secure in your manhood to ride a scooter, it's like a boy named Sue kinda thing.

Thanks, Russ

Dtel, Look closer at the avatar, that's no kid in that picture. High school ended in '72 for me (The last 3 senior years were the hardest!) .

• Moderators

I DID ride a scooter in High School! Never had any trouble at 6 foot 3, although at 165lbs I wasn't that impossing. My other bike until recently was a Hayabusa if that is butch enough for you (replaced by a Ducati)! You have to be secure in your manhood to ride a scooter, it's like a boy named Sue kinda thing.

Thanks, Russ

Dtel, Look closer at the avatar, that's no kid in that picture. High school ended in '72 for me (The last 3 senior years were the hardest!) .

That's funny, your going to fit in just fine around here. [Y] I would think a Hayabusa and Ducati are plenty butch enough, I guess, but it takes a real man to ride a scooter !...........I almost killed myself on a scooter, they do NOT turn like a real bike, you have to be a little more careful.

At 51 It's a little hard to see everything in those little pic's, it looked like someone in front of a blue scooter, they should make them where you can click and see a bigger pic.

" The last three senior years were the hardest " funny,... my wife says they let me out because they got tired of looking at me !

They sound great. Use the risers. And lamp cord.

Yes I've owned a pair. Heads above the H or H II. Nearly up to snuff with the CW III, just lacking the deep LF.

I have to seriously question the thinking of owning such a prestigious amp rig and skimping on the speakers, but they're just the thingie in the audio chain that takes all those electrons and turns them into moving air for your ears. Go CW III at least unless space is at absolute premium or Mrs. Scooter-boy won't let you bring your toys in the house (jk, really).

But then I'm not an audiophile. I just listen to music on Klipsch speakers, that's all.

btw, if the lamp cord 'just don't work', you're pluggin it in wrong mate.[;)]

'red wine' pffffffft [:P]

Michael

The red wine got me to thinking about the wine I had while bow hunting in northern Michigan near Atlanta. (not that anyone would know where that is)

My cousin thought he would impress the city folk which were his guests at the cabin, with his wine selection at the finest grocery store in Atlanta. So he bought a bottle of "red wine" (Wild Cherry) and get this... a bottle of blue whine (no I spelled that correctly) which tasted more like a pina colada. See the review:

http://www.boonesfarm.net/reviews.html

It had a nose like a bloodhound in pepper factory with a hint of coconuts and pinapple. Mmmmm Yum!

The red wine was the clear winner in the cabin as several people had more than one sampler taste. The blue was my preference because it reminded me of being in Hawaii on the catamaran having mai tai's. And isn't what any good blue whine should remind you of? But enough of this hyjack...