Heresys on $20,000 tube rig?

russ69

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my heresy 2s in the shop with lamp cord to an old pioneer reciever. The plugs are still on the lamp cord with one spade twisted 90 degress to fit into the old pioneer speaker sockets.

On the other hand, I recently put my heresy 1s on speaker stands in my main room and I like them with my nordost cables and tube amp.

They can be dressed up or dressed down without a problem. Wine or moonshine will still get you drunk.

Corona? That's just mexican Budweiser...........

Yes Mr. Hanky, you are correct. But 18 packs of Miller long necks go on sale for $12 and 30 packs of Tecate cans go on sale for $18. A 12 pack of Corona is about $12, so, splurging. Mexican Budweiser is expensive round these parts.

Side story. We travel to Utah several times a year and I use to buy Corona's there. I remember my wife asking me how many I had drank one night. I had about 4 and was not really feeling a buzz. I read the bottle and they make special beer in Utah that has less alcohol. I now bring good old Las Vegas beer with me and 2 or 3 do me just fine (vacation quantity, I am not much of a drinker as I get older).

So what was this thread about, rewiring lamps? I rewired one last year, used a 12' plain old lamp cord and it works just fine. No extension cord needed now.

I wanted to get opinions from what I call the "red wine" audiophiles. ... I wanted to hear from the guys that have no trouble paying 300 bucks for an interconnect cable (or way more)...

Do you mean the kind of audiophile that needs red wine to be able to convince themselves that the $300+ (or way more) that they spent on a single interconnect makes any difference? I sort of qualify. If I have enough red wine I can think all sorts of strange stuff.

OK, OK! I am convinced that the lamp cord was wrong. I rewired all the lamps in my house with Shunyata Diamondback Platinum supported by Research Dark Field Cable Elevators. Each is plugged into a Hydra V-Ray to a dedicated circuit.

You know, even the wife mentioned how the lights seem to have more definition without even a hint of shadow or veiled light. The bulbs burn so much more consistently, and have a much tighter pattern.

I think I may just eliminate lamps all together and plug in a bunch of Mac tube amps for light. What platform should I use?

Thanks for all the help guys; wish I had listened sooner.

OK, OK! I am convinced that the lamp cord was wrong. I rewired all the lamps in my house with Shunyata Diamondback Platinum supported by Research Dark Field Cable Elevators. Each is plugged into a Hydra V-Ray to a dedicated circuit.

You know, even the wife mentioned how the lights seem to have more definition without even a hint of shadow or veiled light. The bulbs burn so much more consistently, and have a much tighter pattern.

I think I may just eliminate lamps all together and plug in a bunch of Mac tube amps for light. What platform should I use?

Thanks for all the help guys; wish I had listened sooner.

I changed out my light bulbs recently. I tried the new energy saving twisted flourescent bulbs. The light was very bright and harsh. I then tried the new diode bulbs. The harshness was gone but the light seemed sterile and didn't have a nice glow. I went back to teh Home Depot and bought some filament bulbs from China. The ligth was much better, and had a decent glow but not quite right. Then I found some vintage 1955 German issue GE filament bulbs on Illumination-gon.com. They were really expensive but man, they glow really nicely and warm up the room. Perfect. So now that I'm done I just turn them off and watch TV.

I tried the new energy saving twisted flourescent bulbs. The light was very bright and harsh.

You should have tried the triple plait style now available at the in-the-know places. 200 times more expensive than the el cheapo consumer variety twisted fluoros. The light would have been more balanced for you and you would have been able to drink a little red wine to reassure yourself of their merit.

<<never really been hard core red wine afficianado, but for new years eve will be sippin' on nice eiswein, for the handful of those on this forum who know what EISWEIN is! I got hooked on this late season grape wine when I was stationed near Neiderheimbach am Rhein during the 1970's. Only in the last few years has eiswein been readily available stateside, thanks to vintners catering to this specialty white rhine wine the last few years or so. Try it,you'll like it!

If you are going to test your setup either after drinking wine or drinking beer, make sure you wait a while since it has been reported on this forum that the cold air coming out of the frig, when opened, changes the air density and has an influence on sound (denser air=better sound theory). So you would not know if it was the lamp cord, the beer/wine, or just the cold air. This kinda makes sense...there's a lot of frig door opening during tweaking acktivities, so there may be control issues with improvements that could be related to the cold air vs the specified tweaks. All these tweaks for the most parts have advocaters of positive improvement (tube vs ss, lamp cord vs monster wire, mdf vs ply, new capacitors vs old ones, new tubes vs NOS, etc)

On the other hand, this brings up the questions as to what effect the hot air from the oven has.....new house rule..no baking while I am tweaking.

Methinks the hot air generated between listening selections by the audiophools in the listening room would be more likely to cause speaker discrepancies than hot air generated by something baking way out in the kitchen, but I could be mistaken since this is based solely upon my experience at Klipschhead gatherings.[;)]