Model H date / serial number info...

thejohn

I think we found it....

Quoting "Malcolm"

The early K22s were indeed SP12Bs. There should be some scans of EV literature floating around in cyberspace describing how to build a ported cabinet for them. It covers box dimensions, port size and length, etc. So, you may not need the T/S parameters.

and quoting "CaptnBob"

It sounds like you've got the primeval Heresy there - the H-1000. It had the same midrange horn as the Shorthorn and first generation Cornwalls. Mine also have the SP12b with the whizzer cone. The H-1000 was intended as a center fill speaker, with a deliberately reduced bass response - the idea was the flanking Klipschorns would provide the low end, since they would have much less distortion. After PWK found folks with no corners or limited space were buying H-1000s in pairs, he deepened the cabinets and developed a wider range midrange horn. This let the Heresy (now the H-700) to develop more bass, and, since the woofer didn't need to go as high, dispense with the whizzer.

See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/90998.aspx by Eric Mandaville

That's them!

Ok so to recap. They're Model H 1963 or 4, Maple finish, Unknown what the '25' stands for- maybe grill? Designated as 12" with '-12' even though 8" was no longer available, EV SP12B cast basket woofer, Atlas Mid (V), EV K77?

Still dont know about the crossover marked Type 4...

Would you say the grill is what Klipsch refers to as Cane?

Regarding the serial numbers... as there are only 2 digits after the date code, is it logical to assume the digit before the date code is the lot of 100 rather than 1000. ie 7B03 is the 703rd speaker produced in that year?

Looks like that's it. As far as the crossover, I have no other information. Other than someone posting a photo of an early pre-64 Heresy... the only place I can think of to look would be in the Museum at Hope. They probably won't let me take apart the early Heresy's..... The grill cloth is not really "cane", it does look like the cloth on the "rarest Klipsch" Heresy in the Museum. The serial number refers to the total number produced, but not necessarily in that year. The year code only shows that 703 happened to be made in 1963-1964. The numbers increased sequentially as they were made regardless of the year code.

Here's the H-8 in the Museum.

Interesting. My crossovers are similar but there is only a single capacitor on the left where your pic shows 2 piggybacked and the transformer (3110A) has connections on tags marked '0', '1' and '5' which dont appear to be in the same places as the ones on your pic.

Indeed, well I had a look at the crossover values quickly and here's what I found -

'Input +' to 2.5mH inductor to 'woofer +'

'Input +' also to 1uF capacitor to 'Terminal 5' on autotransformer

'Input -' to 'Terminal 0' on autotransformer as well as 'woofer -', 'squawker -' and 'tweeter -'

'Terminal 1' on autotransformer to 0.5mH inductor to 'squawker +'

'Terminal 1' on autotransformer also to 2uF capacitor to 'Tweeter +'

...just for interest's sake

Yet another interesting fact... well to me anyway -

The woofers in my consecutive serial number boxes also have consecutive serial numbers as do the mids and tweeters!

Is this because they only apply the klipsch lables to the drivers at the time of box assembly?

Yet another interesting fact... well to me anyway -

The woofers in my consecutive serial number boxes also have consecutive serial numbers as do the mids and tweeters!

Is this because they only apply the klipsch lables to the drivers at the time of box assembly?

That's exactly what happened. For many years up to at least 1983, the tested drivers were taken on pallets directly from the testing booth to beside the final assembly table of the particular assembler, whereupon the assembler attachedthe driver labels, which were a match to the cabinet labels' numbers. Your particular speakers are by far not the only with matching driver numbers.

no, Mike... i don't remember, but when the changeover to K77M occurred, lots of the mud magneted K77s arrived with broken, chipped, and cracked mud magnets for a few months, the things got better. Some kind of proble with the ferrite slurry and the ceramic process, along with need for new packaging techniques o the pallets we received.

• 7 years later...

Hi I stumbled across this old post trying to date a pair of Klipsch I bought and I think that these are them. Not just the same model but the same pair of speakers.

I bought them in South Africa and have bought them back to London with me.  My intention was to clean them up externally and if need be see what I could so internally to restore them if needed.  After reading this thread I'm a little reticent to screw around with them too much.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on both the external and internal restoration I could undertake.

External - the speaker cloths are not in great shape (not disastrous) but I love the retro look of them.  Is it possible to get the this cloth anywhere?  I might look sand down the veneer a bit and re oil them.

Internal - I do not want to change these radically in anyway. Is there any suggestions in getting them back to original spec