RS7 or RF5 for surrounds?

RockOn4Klipsch

Personally I would keep the RS-7's I think they are better suited for surround speakers. I think the RF-5's will be overkill as a surround speaker and also a little too dominant and easy to localize where the sound is coming from.

I think that the RS-7's will also provide a cleaner more theater look than having 4 tower floor standing speakers and also that the rear effects will benefit from a higher location than ear level floor standing speakers.

However if you want multichannel music I think the 4 RF-5's will definitely be superior to the RS-7's in that respect, however I prefer to listen to music in 2 channel myself.

If you have the money and can get them for a good price buy them and try them out, I am sure they won't be hard to resell if you decide you don't want them or maybe use them as fronts for a 2nd system.

Thanks Rich, I mostly listen to music in 2ch, and was afraid of the localization of the RF5s as surrounds. I can get the RF5 for cheaper than I can sell the RS 7s for that's what has me going.....HUH? I would only purchase after selling the RSs as I think the wife is tired of me spending money. I just bought the RS7's, an RC7 , an Aragon Stage One and an Aragon 2005. So i don't want to purchase them outright.

Having both systems (one with towers all around and one with surround speakers) I can tell you if you are listening mainly to music the towers would be your best choice, for HT movie experience go with the WDST type speaker.

For what it is worth, the all towers system still does a pretty good job in a Ht set up as well.

On my theater upstairs I have RF-3II's (awesome towers) but when I buit that system I was using alot of DVD-/SACD. Had I not I would have opted for the RS-7. I do have 1 RS-7 for my rear in the 6.2 set-up and am always amazed at how dang good it sounds when I listen to "all channels" music.

In my theater downstairs I'll be using verticle Cornwalls for mains, Academy center, Chorus II's, for surrounds, and forte II's for rear speakers....so yet again I'm opting for no real surround speakers.

Thanks Guys, any one have a pair of WDST type speakers and floorstanders wired in series with an A/B speaker selector so that you could switch for music and movies?Using both speaker types as "surrounds" of course,but changing with the "flick of a switch".

I did that for awhile on my RF 3 system. I had the pre outputs for the rear sent to an external amp with A and B selection. I just turned one or the other ON as needed. I later went to two amplifiers, one for the RS speakers and one for the towers.

I just bought the RS7's, an RC7 , an Aragon Stage One and an Aragon 2005.

Keep the RS7's with the RC7. They are a perfect match. I had that setup for several years with my Aragon equipment. Excellent sound. Place the RS7's on the left and right walls slightly above the listening area. When you're ready for 7.1, put some other reference speakers in the rear and pointing down. I tried forté I's, II's, Kg-4's and Heresy II and III's on the sides and I still have my RS7's. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Back again.... My listening habits are probably 50 50 split maybe with the edge to music. I listen to music when ever I have the chance and watch movies with the wife at night. I would say we watch 4 -6 movies a week, and I listen to music probably 6 hours a day right now (laid off and spending time with my son).

I have the option to get some super cheap RF5's, how "distracting" is having direct radiating speakers as surrounds due to localization? I mean with the RS7's when something comes from the right it comes from the right.

Does the large dispersion pattern of Horns actually aid in it ability to be a surround?

If you had the option to have the RF5's or RS7's as surrounds which would you choose?

IMO i want the RF5's mostly for the "that's cool" factor, I'm sure they'll sound great as surrounds. I've also recently read that with the ned HD audio codes that direct radiating speakers where the ideal for the new formats. Anyone have any thoughts.

IMO i want the RF5's mostly for the "that's cool" factor.

Very few people will actually admit that, but don't let it fool you because that is excatly why they do it most of the time.

I would say if you are watching TV with a stereo signal like most channels are and you are doing a lot music listening, go for the RF 5. The towers all around is well worth it for music

But if most of the movie watching is from DVD's Dolby digital/ blu ray stay with the RS 7

i had a really nice set of rf-5's i was going to use as rear surrounds in place of my rs-7's. my problem was is that where my towers would be positioned in the rear, they were not suited for surround duty either for movies or dvd-a and such. my couch and chair are on the back wall of my room. maybe if you had ample distance between the back wall and seating it would work. down the road i will probably have both to achieve that 'cool' factor you spoke of!![:P] i actually left my kg's in the rear corners just for that reason!

it would be nice to have a way to have both of them on an a/b switch...