ProMedia Ultra 5.1 completely dead

sovereignty68

I had a power outage in my house, after the power has restored, I turned on the klipsch, the LED on control module flickered and then went dead completely. Now I couldn't power on the the speakers. Does that mean the control module is dead? If yes, does anyone know where I can get them besides from Klipsch (it's always backordered on Klipsch's)? If no, what could be the problem? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bash amp is notorius for burning out amp components. They are repairable by either Klipsch or elliot-tronics.com. Cost is about $125. You remove the amp from the subwoofer and ship for less than $20.

Do some trouble shooting to determine if it is just the control unit they are available for $30-40. Look in the support FAQ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am going to ship to Elliott for the repair. For about $130 round trip with repair and upgrade (from Houston) it is cheaper than a new 5.1 speaker system and as expensive as a good 2.0 - 2.1 system. If my Ultra 5.1s hold up for another 3+ years it will be worth the fix.

Thank you for the suggestion Satchel.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update to my reply entered March 26, 2009. I just received my Promedia 5.1 AMP back from elliot-tronics in Cedar Hill Texas. The speakers are once again working and sounding great. Elliot took about 22 business days to complete the repair/upgrade. I had to prepay through paypal $115 before he would do the work. I then shipped him the AMP. He did what he said he would do in the time he said he would do it. If the speakers hold up for a few years (which they should) it will have been money well spent. Guy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Five minutes after posting this complaint I got a note from Elliot saying he was sending my amp today and provided a tracking number. I've edited out the details and will report back on repair after I receive it.

I also had a failing Promedia Ultra 5.1 sub and based on recommendations in this message board contracted with elliot-tronics to get repair/upgrade. For whatever reason, I had trouble getting him to complete the repair and return the amp and he was intermittent at best with communications. After a couple of missed commitments, he shipped it back to me 7 weeks after he received it. If he has issues (lack of parts, lack of time) with repairs, he needs to give better estimates and then let customers know when there will be delays.

I did the same thing you did: created a user ID and posted in hopes that it would escalate a response. It seemed to work for Taman, who had similar problems. I sent Elliot a note with a deadline, after which I was going to work with paypal and credit card company to get a refund. Elliot sent the amp on the deadline date. I haven't received it yet so I can't comment on quality of repair. Good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to contact Elliot since he emailed me on 9/8/09 the amp would be sent back that week. His phone does not work and he does not answer his e-mails (eliott4113@yahoo.com). I paid the $117.05 on 7/27/09 via Paypal and am in no big hurry to get this back but would like to know what is going on and when it will actually come. If I don't hear something in the next few days I am going to contact Ebay and Paypal and file complaints.

Update --

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:46 PM
To: Chris & Charlene Homan
Subject: Re: Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Repair
Hi, sorry for the delay but your amp failed while I was testing it and had to order another part for it that should be here Thursday, after this I will test it again and if all goes well I will send it back by this Friday..

Regards,
Elliott

• 3 months later...

I too have been having issues with Elliott. I paid $117 through PayPal and sent him my Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 amp. He recieved it on November 13th. Here it is January 17th and I have not recieved my repaired amp back. I have sent him two e-mails with no reply. Elliott, I see others have had the same issue. Please respond.