ProMedia Ultra 5.1 completely dead

sovereignty68

That I do not know about, but I know that you can go throguh who Klispch used to use (might still use) and they are www.sybesmas.com I have sent a few units to them in the past and they have a quick turn around time but what i don't like about them, is they don't tell you what went wrong or how they fixed it. I think generally it costs about $120 total, $30 for shipping there, another $30 for them to return ship and about $60 for the repair itself. But that may have changed.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I was on top of what was going on, people were shipping their systems to Indy for repair. If not for living in an apartment, I probably would have gotten it fixed, but the neighbors were always complaining about the bass, so I never did anything. Now I'm considering buying a house, and if I do I would definitely want to get the speakers repaired. I'm pretty sure it's the amp.

• 2 months later...

TO:

Re: Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Repair

Wednesday,

October 21, 2009 6:36 PM

"elliot-tronics.com"

<eliott4113@yahoo.com>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

"Chris & Charlene Homan"

<cchoman@verizon.net>

Hi, I

was not able to finish your amp by last Friday but is now ready and I

will take it to fedex by tomorrow, this will be your fedex shipping info

and can be tracked after tomorrow evening..

Thank you for shipping with FedEx.

Your tracking number:

Cheers,

Elliott

I had complained about slow service from Elliot in previous posts (in 2009) but I did eventually get my amp and it has worked well ever since. To be extra careful I mounted two slow speed electronics fans inside the subwoofer / amp and that might be helping as well.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Don't give up on the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra systems yet...use process of observation and elimination to find the problem areas.

Elliot took longer than expected to fix my amp, but it worked fine after his upgrade...he is the go-to guy for a solid fix. My amp ticked along fine after his repair until our whole block experienced power fluctuations(overvoltage); during which the fuse blew and the 14mm surge absorber nearby was compromised.

Replace the fuse with Radio Shack #270-1067 5 amp 125 volt slow blow or similar.

I replaced the ceramic disc surge absorber with Digikey part #P7188-ND (manufacturer #ERZ-V07D201) 7mm 200 volt 125 amp ZNR. This ups the voltage from 115 to 125 with similar clamping values. Line voltage here in Saint Paul is always above 120v, and may have weakened the surge absorber.

5.1's running fine and sounding fantastic.

If anyone is having problems with the surge absorber, I have 9 #P7188-ND's left, let me know and I'll mail one to you.

I would take one or two if you've got them still. I work as an electrician and noticed a week ago that our lights in our house were dim. So I checked the voltage at our service entrance. It read 98 on each phase and 198 across both. Called our power company and notified them of the problem. Power was soon shut off to ~500 of thier users within the next 5 minutes. Power didn't come on till 4 hours later. At any rate my Pro Media Ultra 5.1 system wouldn't turn on so I looked into it and the surge varistor (TVR 14181) was toast. I've been looking for a replacement this past week without much luck. Let me know if you've still got a couple. My email is knappb_85@hotmail.com.

• 2 weeks later...

. I sent my Amp to Elliot and it's been about 3 months now. I was getting response to e-mails, now nothing. I wouldn't care that it takes so long it's just in several e-mails he promised they would be shipped the next day or two with a tracking number..........and alas no.

I used him because of some recommendations I had through this site, but it should be a big BUYER BEWARE !!! Now I don't know if I'm out $118 and NO Amp or what.[bs]

I was promised my unit shipped back many times over 3 months and NOTHING. I'll take the old broken unit back and have it repaired somewhere else. I hope I have not been duped and am out $118 and NO Amp this sucks !!!!!!!!! [bs]

A BIG BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I to sent my Amp to Elliot and it's been about 3 months now. I was getting response to e-mails, now nothing. I wouldn't care that it takes so long it's just in several e-mails he promised they would be shipped the next day or two with a tracking number..........and alas no.

I used him because of some recommendations I had through this site, but it should be a big BUYER BEWARE !!! Now I don't know if I'm out $118 and NO Amp or what.[bs]

• 3 weeks later...

I also sent Elliott my amp. When I emailed him multiple times to inquire about service, shipping, payment he was immediately able to respond and give details. He told me the turnaround time on the amp repair would be 20 days from the time it was shipped. It is now past that allotted time and I've emailed elliott several times and have gotten no response. I would far greatly prefer to have a working amp than to have to go through the process of a dispute with pay pal and my credit card company. From what I read here, his promised 20 day turnaround doesn't seem to happen very often, but declining to reply to customers is very bad business. I found elliott through these forums and I will post my experience here as well.

Everything I've read seems to indicate the wait is much longer than 20 days (as long as 6 months in one report) and the communication post payment is zero to none.

If I didn't start school in 3 days with two multimedia online courses for which I desperately need to be able to HEAR the lectures and a good set of speakers for my projects, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it really is. If I'd been told the turnaround was months instead of weeks, I would have waited until I could afford to have a backup plan before shipping it!

I have to withdraw my recommendation to use Elliot. I really have to wonder if he isn't running a Ponzi like scheme after my experience. After sending my Ultra to him I heard nothing and had unanswered emails for over two months. Then the promises of shipment which failed to materialize for weeks. Then I finally got an amp after over four months which wasn't the one I sent him and didn't even work. My original was gently used with no signs of overheating while the one he sent looked as if it had been cooked in a microwave. Elliot claimed mine had been unrepairable and I find this to be complete BS. I bet he easily repaired mine and sent it to someone else. I had to pay the shipment to return this one to him which he finally returned saying there had been bad solder joints. It worked for less than a year and now the center and right channels cut out intermittently, very annoying. Not like it's been pushed either as all I do is listen to TV sound through the Ultras. It's damn sure not going back to Elliot Sanchez unless he is going to stand behind his work and fix it and pay the shipping both ways. To be honest I don't want him anywhere near it as I might never see it again!

I should have taken a clue when I followed his old Ebay blog for a while. He would have good and bad reviews in the blog but mysteriously the bad reviews and posts from people wondering where their amp was kept disappearing so that only good comments would remain. Talk about dishonest. Ebay apparently woke up to the fact Elliot wasn't going though them anymore for his repairs and took the blog down.

I have found another person doing repair/upgrade work and plan to send him my amp one of these days soon. Once I have it back for a while I'll give a report on how that goes.

Good luck to those of you with amps in Cedar Hill Texas limbo and sorry if my support for Elliot had a part in stranding them there.

I contributed to this message board back in March of 2009. I gave a positive review of my experience with Elliot. My system was returned to me in the time he said it would and it worked great. I am sorry to read of all this negative reviews and experiences from others over the last year and a half, but do believe in the subtstance of the complaints. My once repaired and great sounding 5.1 system has been sitting in my office collecting dust for the better part of 8 months. The repair did not even last a year. I am not going to blame anyone, but it seems to me that it is possibly a combination of a poor design by Klipsch and a poor repair by Elliot, or both. There are many speaker systems in this price range that go years without problems, but these speakers seem to be the exception. Repairing them does not seem to be the solution, unless you are an electronics expert who has the expertise to fix them yourself everytime they break. There are too few places to send them that will do the repair at a reasonable expense and in a reasonable time. After a repair is done, the electronics board (at least in my case) worked again for less than a year. So, I suggest you switch to a cheap pair of Sony bookshelves (like me, since I have a tin ear anyway) or you buy a new pair of 5.1s that have a better reputation of longevity, and do not bother sending these Klipsch Pro 5.1 boat anchors to any one for repair, not Elliot, not Klipsch themselves. Save your money. The repair probably won't last and the hassle is not worth it. My speakers will sit in the corner collecting dust until I get over the idea that these were once upon a time a good sounding speaker that I dream could one day be a contender again. That day is not far off, at which time I will drop them in my trash and not think about them ever again. Good luck all.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear of these frustrating experiences. If you do decide to get rid of your system, I would be interested in buying it in non-working condition. I've repaired hundreds of these, and have had great results. I believe cooling the ProMedia 5.1 amplifier's power supply (AC-DC converter) is key, and have seen the stark difference between ProMedia 5.1 circuits that had been cooled for the past few years, and those that had no airflow with sections sitting at 180+ degrees F (think "well-done steak"). It is not in the spirit of this forum to advertise here, (and I'm plenty busy already doing repairs--keeping my turn around time to 1 week is important to me), so I am just noting if you no longer want your panel or entire system, I'd offer to buy it (salvage and improve it), than rather than let it be trashed/destroyed.