Custom-2's...what am I doing wrong?

redtop

Just got some new Custom-2's and had very high expectations after reading reviews here and elsewhere. As you can see from my signature below, I love Klipsch and even have some Promedia 2.1's that sound great. Been a little disappointed with the custom-2's so far because of the following issues...so I figure it must be something I am doing wrong...here are the symptoms...

• When I plug the custom-2's into my laptop or my Sansa Clip MP3 player, they are WAY TOO LOUD. I have to turn down the master volume to one notch above Mute to get to a comfortable sound level. Also, I get a lot of "bump" noise from the headphone wires everytime they brush my clothing, neck, move my head back and forth, etc. I have tried positioning the wires in front and behind my head. No difference.

I have reset the equalizer in the MP3 player to it's lowest levels and that only bought me a extra couple of volume bars. I use KMplayer on my laptop to listen to music and watch movies. There doesn't seem to be any equalizer function to tweak there.

Most of all, I need to get rid of the "bump" noise from the wires. I own Klipsch speakers because they are clear, clean, and bring a realism not found in other speakers. I was hoping for the same in these headphones.

If I am being too picky, let me know. If you can offer any solutions...thanks in advance!

If you are complaining they are too loud and you have to keep your player turned down to enjoy them that is a good problem. As for the microphonics; I am at a loss my C3's do have this issue. Are you sure you have them positioned correctly and have a good seal? It takes a bit of trial and error to get a good fit but once you do I am sure you will be happy. Aside from the loudness issue are you satisfied with their tonal quality and presentation?

J,

Thanks for you response. I'm sorry to be such a purist, but based on the reviews, I expected a product that I could listen with and still be able to move my head, or use during a workout at the fitness center while still experiencing the great Klipsch sound. If you experience the same issue perhaps it's design thing with"in-ear" models.

The sound quality is great, so I don't think I have a seal problem. Very low lows and high, crisp highs...until I move...[;)]

I wonder if the "microphonics" is an issue with the Image headphones as well?

Any other thoughts appreciated...

Redtop,

First of all I want to thank you for supporting our company by buying our C2's.

It sounds like you have good news and bad news from your explaination.

The good news...You fitted the product to your ear properly. That's a big start in the right direction because learning to use the Custom series can be trying for a first time user. You may want to experiment with the eartips to see if the comfort and seal improve even further.

Then the bad news...Wow these are loud! Usually I get a compliment for this. Efficiency has been the trademark of Klipsch since it's conception. That being said, in never hurts to have more impedance on the load. You can take care of this easily with a passive volume control on the output to the phones. Then you can drive your line out as high as you want and adjust the level. Several companies make nice inlinve controls.

Secondarily I suspect you are listening at quite low levels to hear any cable noise or you are using music tracks that have low level areas to the music. Custom series IEM's have lower microphonics from the cable than Image series. Why? Because you can take advantage of the cynch behind your head. Tighten the cynch so that you isolate mechanical transmission up the cable before it gets to your ear pinna. This will help alot to alleviate any microphonics of the cable. All In Ear phone designs have some level of vibration conduction due to the fact that your ear is occluded (sealed). It is the same issues as when you plug your ears with your fingers. The sound of your voice shifts from the conduction of mechanical vibration via the bone and meatus of your skull and the fact that you are pressure coupled to this energy. After you use the product for a period of time you mind will adjust. So give it some time.

I wonder if the "microphonics" is an issue with the Image headphones as well?

Redtop,

Yes. I'm pretty sure Professor Thump already covered the cable noise issue but I'll add my 0.2 db as well....

In ear monitors are very sensitive to cable noise. It's one of the design trade-offs. I've been an owner of Custom 2 since they first came out and the way I've best gotten around it is to cinch the cable to the back of my head. It took me a while getting used to putting the cable behind my head but that did help, quite a bit actually even without cinching up the cable. Very little problem with cable noise though in all fariness 99.x% of my listening over the Custom 2 is sitting at my desk at work with a little bit while painting soccer field lines.

We've recently required a set of Image X10 and yes they also have an issue with cable noise. The Image are even more likely to have a problem with cable noise probably because they're in one's ear without the bendable wire. That's also why the Image have a smooth cable instead of cloth covered as the cloth is even more sensitive to cable noise. I can attest to the Image and cable noise. My first experience was with the IMAGE (as it was called then) prototype. Just sticking them in and letting the cables hang, simply tapping on one would cause a thump in the ear for lack of a better term. I've not really used our new Image X10 a lot yet but with the cable cinched at the back of my head I can flick the single cable with no issues (I may have been tapping the individual cable on the prototypes - I can't really remember other than being blown away at something so tiny producing the legendary sound of Klipsch.

For me, I never could get as good a seal with my Custom 2 as I can with the Image X10 - just stick 'em in and they seal pretty well. And sound even better than the Custom 2. I actually prefer the sound of the Image X5 but they're too big for our youngest daughter to use.

There's a lot of information in the Headphone section relating to getting a good seal and all kinds of things including cleaning. To see all the posts, when you're in Headphones, select the more options and select to display all. My profile keeps getting reset to show only the newest 2 months.

Sounds like you're getting a good start.

Enjoy!

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Professor Thump and Ben,

Thanks for your suggestions and let me apologize for not thanking you sooner for you repective inputs to my question. I've been away from the board for a couple of weeks and used that time to test your suggestions.

As big a a Klipsch fan as I am, it looks like in-ear headphones are not for me. LOVE the sound quality of the music, but can't get over the background "thump" (microphonics) every time I move my head. Tried cinching tha cable in multiple posistion, but no dice. For me, the noise is just too distracting. Guess I don't turn up the volume enough to drown it out...[:^)]

Well anyway, thanks again. Guess I'll be looking for a new home for my Custom-2s...if anyone here is interested, I'll give forum members the first shot ($125 including shipping to lower 48 states)

Redtop,

Sorry the Custom 2 aren't working out for you.

Cinching the cable at the back of the head works really well for me, the tighter it's cinched the less noise I get but I use my Custom 2 and Image X10 primarily sitting at a desk.

I do get kind of a thump while walking though not really from the cable but just hear the vibrations more through the body with the ear sealed up?

Received these in the mail the other day and have been enjoying them immensely! These are the best source of quality sound that I have until the amp to my right KSP-400 gets fixed. Been using them at the gym and at work. There was a learning curve to getting the ear-gels and the seals just right but after you figure it out, it's cake! Super phones!

Thanks Brad