Best Gear Change of '08

thebes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a Gear Change, more of an addition. Added a ELAC Miracord 40 TT just to see how vinyl would sound on my La Scala's and now I have over 1000 albums. [:P] I think I may be buying a"new" turntable in 09, as I am falling in love with the sound of Vinyl. I just may set up a dedicated 2 channel rig, as the LS's are hooked into my HT for now.

Dennie

Upgrading my La Scalas to 510 JubScalas for sure. It took a pair of 510/K-69 tweeters, a matching second power amp and an EV Dx38 processor and settings for the Dx from Roy Delgado. A significant upgrade that I enjoy every day!

2 major upgrades for me both accomplished through the Garage Sale section here on the Klipsch forums. Buying Cornwall II's from Preston Tom to swap out my Heresy II's. Cornwalls deserve the acclaim they get.

Buying a 40 year old McIntosh MC-2105 Amp and C-26 Pre amp from HVN, and shipping them of to Mr. Terry DeWick for sprucing up. Swapped these into my weekend house system replacing a venerable Onkyo receiver. Not fair to compare the gear but the McIntosh is really impressive, breathing new life into my Chorus II's. I thought my Chorus were ready for a crossover upgrade, but the improvement in the soundstage with the new/used equipment showed that there is life in the old girls yet. I find myself playing music just a little louder than before, a trend that McIntosh fans seem to have in common. [:D]

This year I will bring the Cornwalls out to the house as they are overwhelming in my small city apartment and deserve a chance to stretch out a bit. The Chorus will get a break after 19 years of faithfull service and perhaps I will use that opportunity to do some upgrades with Mr. Crites. I'll bring the Raw Oak Heresys back to the city after I stain them with Watco Natural stain.

Isn't this what January (Janus) is all about? Looking backwards on the year that has passed and forwards to the year that is to come? When I put my Garage Sale system together I will post pictures of my '08 purchases. All the best for the new year to the Klipschheads.

Geez, don't post a thread like this, it makes you actually realize just how much gear gets changed. I thought that I didn't do that much upgrading until this thread. Speakers, amps, tuner, power conditioner, turntable (2 times), phono preamp, step up transformer, RCA to XLR transformers, soundcard, stereo rack and finally built that CD/Record cabinet that I have wanted.

Best upgrade is a tie. 1st: For me it was the addition of a Technics Sl1210 with Denon DL160 cart, because that made me get into vinyl in a big way, which I then upgraded to a Rega P9. The Technics was the better upgrade because it got me and a good friend both listening to vinyl and buying vinyl a lot.

2nd: I also did a speaker upgrade that made my wife finally says that she likes in the family room (and I like them too). Who would have guessed? 275 lb speakers and she can live with them in the living room. I didn't know that this was possible.

With plans of retirement in 2009/10, I decided that I need to complete my system soon. I added the following:

Klipschorns - May

vintage Pioneer tuner - August

vintage Coral speakers - August

power meters - November

RG expander - December

McIntosh MA2275 integrated tube amplifier - December

For 2009 I will stop upgrades/additions, as I believe that my system is finished, with Khorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls and McIntosh. Excess equipmrnt will be used to assemble a bedroom sound system.

Resolution - to stop the madness.