The old tube radio in my 56 Packard

Jeff Matthews

Here's a question for all you guys who understand tube radios. I have a tube AM radio in my 56 Packard. I get crackles and pops, not incessantly, but regularly. The radio is still very "listenable," but it would be nice if there were no crackles and pops.

Is this an issue with tubes or something else? I have doubts it's reception problems because the antenna is connected, and it raises about 5 feet. It's a huge antenna.

Those radios go for big dollars ($1000.00) even if they don't work worth a dam. The IF can slugs also cause problems sometimes. I was weened on those babies and 50% of the time the inverter vibrator dingus went bad and the other 50% was tubes when they were new. They had a very good sound however with usually an 8" speaker in the dash.

JJK

Is it a Clipper, a Patrician or a something really cool like a 400 or Carribean? Personally, I'd love to get my hands on an "Executive" and make a real hotrod out of it--all Packard drivetrain of course, but with disc brakes, etc.

I've owned a couple of V8 Packards, a '55 Clipper with a 320 and a '56 400 that we put a dual quad 374 inch motor in with a T85 3 speed stick/OD set up in. But this was over 20 years ago.

Great cars! If they had been able to keep it together for a couple more years they would have really sorted that motor out. Instead they bought Studebaker and stopped making Packards.

I have a buddy up in WA that has a 374 inch SUPERCHARGED (Paxton) Packard V8 in a '56 Studebaker pickup truck.