My Emotiva XPA-3 review

Rich_Guy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the THX Ultra2 system with 3 KL650's across the front. I've had them for a little more than a month now running them with my old Denon3300 (105w/5 channels). Although the system sounds really sweet, I must admit it is not living up to some of the rave reviews that I'd read online. In fact, when playing at reference, I notice that the mids get muddy if not downright "splatty".

How confident is everyone that power is my issue?

I was considering a used MPS2, but am now thinking of doing it a less expensive way with an XPA5 for now and add an XPA2 a year or two from now. Seems like the latter option is preferred by most anyway.

I understand that us "nutty" home theater geeks can appreciate the difference in going with an outboard amp, but the true test is whether or not my wife will say, "OH WOW!". If I don't get that sort of response from her then it makes future purchases tougher. :) So what do you think?

Here's my experience regarding this subject...and I was a bit surprised at my findings and conclusions. I would guess that the biggest improvement in Wow factor you will make is in a new processor. I was using the THX U2 system in a fairly large room with a Denon AVR-4806, no slouch on processing or amplification. I just upgraded to a new AVC but used the amp section of the 4806 for my "seperate" amp. The sonic improvement was quite monumental. The list of SQ improvements is long, but I can summarize and conclude that the processing in the 4806 was the weak link. The Denon amp running in pure direct does a spectacular job. I have zero need to upgrade to the Emotiva or anything else for an amp.

Depending on the size of your room, your listening distance, and your volume preferences will affect your requirements for power; whether what you have is enough or not.

On the subject of a new processor (AVR or AVC), I have the highest praise for new technologies offered by Audyssey. After proper calibration, Dynamic EQ is an amazing accomplishment, and based on very well known and good science. You will find that you can listen at lower volume levels, if you wish, and enjoy a very rich experience due to Dynamic EQ. The wifey definately notices this and appreciates. She also likes the Audyssey feature, Dynamic Volume, to tame the volume of TV commercials. There are a number of products that now include these features at reasonable prices. I chose Onkyo, and am extremely pleased. The only thing I have not done with the new AVC is an Audyssey Pro calibration. The latest generation of user Audyssey MultEQxt is noticably more capable than older versions. I'm not sure if Audyssey Pro calibration could make a significant improvement in my room...because it already sounds terrific.

Edit: There would certainly be no downside to utilizing an Emotiva amp as part of an upgrade. I just didn't need it. Considering the original price of the 4806, I am thrilled to see it find a new life as a superb amplifier.

Good luck.

Joe, thanks for your thorough response. I definetely have a processor in my future, if for no other reason than I am missing out on the newer BluRay formats.

My Denon is 10 year old technology and about 50% less powerful than yours. So I don't think I will have the same success that you did in using the receiver for amplification. My immediate concern is the safety of my speakers, and if the sounds I've been hearing are in fact "clipping", then I want to address it asap.

By the way, my room is 30'x17.5'x9'ht. So 4700cf. Quite large.

My pleasure. Your have the right priorities regarding protecting your 650s...even though they are darn tough. I would say there is a strong case for more power in your room, even with the wonderful efficiency of the 650s. Is there any chance that you are running the 650s full range? If so, that could possibly push your amp into clipping quite easily. Even though they can perform in some rooms well below 80Hz, I'd recommend dumping that off to the sub(s) to give your amp more headroom.

If it's an encouragement, my room is about double the volume of yours, but a sitting distance of 15' with no stress on the amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my experience regarding this subject...and I was a bit surprised at my findings and conclusions. I would guess that the biggest improvement in Wow factor you will make is in a new processor. I was using the THX U2 system in a fairly large room with a Denon AVR-4806, no slouch on processing or amplification. I just upgraded to a new AVC but used the amp section of the 4806 for my "seperate" amp. The sonic improvement was quite monumental. The list of SQ improvements is long, but I can summarize and conclude that the processing in the 4806 was the weak link. The Denon amp running in pure direct does a spectacular job. I have zero need to upgrade to the Emotiva or anything else for an amp.

I am also surprised that you didn't like the processing in the Denon AVR 4806 and wonder if there could have been something wrong with your calibration....There are several settings that need to be changed after running Audyssey that aren't explained in the manual. Fwiw, I have been happy with mine running running HT listed below. It also got good reviews and numbers on the Secret's Benchmark test Here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/denon-avr-4806-receiver-12-2005-part-5.html

Hey, TK, thanks for the info. I wasn't dissatisfied with the 4806. The processing of what replaced it, including newer version of MultEQxt, is just superior to that in the 4806.

The calibration was not the issue. I am an Audyssey installer, THX Professional (Level 2), HAA-certified, ISF-certified, blah blah. [*-)] So, everything in sight is calibrated ad nauseum, and kept that way. [:D] Technology just marched on. That said, the 4806 makes a superb "separate" amp with the new AVC!

I am new to this forum... I have been thinking about upgrading to seperates and looking at Emotiva also. What I can't figure is the price. Every other amp I have looked at is twice the price. I kind of checked out ATI, B&K, Adcom, I have read all the reviews on all the various magazine sites. Tough call

I am missing the latest HDMI inputs and Bluray sound formats. I run my OPPO through the analog outs. I too am not sure about the processing of the Denon I have. I use to run a Sony DA4ES and have always felt it had more of a WOW factor than the Denon.

....That said, the 4806 makes a superb "separate" amp with the new AVC!

How do you convert it into a separate amp?

You just use the discrete 7.1 inputs, select Direct as the input on the 4806, and I also select Pure Direct. You set its volume at 0dB (reference), and then calibrate your AVC normally. Audyssey calibration will set the channel trims in the AVC accordingly. The 4806 is a THX Ultra2 amp, so setting it at 0dB and using a THX Ultra2 (or Ultra2 Plus) AVC will preserve the THX gain structure so that you get what your supposed to get at Reference (0dB on the AVC). Of course, almost none of us listen at that level, but it is essential that calibration is done at that level. New Audyssey and THX features such as Dynamic EQ and THX Loudness Plus do a terrific job of delivering the intended psychoacoustic affects of the surrounds and low frequency response at listening levels below Reference.