Art Pepper Vinyl/ Any Information

billybob

Besides what I am finding on YouTube!

Acquaintance has maybe 3 or 4 LP's with some personal note/letter attached to or written on 2 of the covers. Looking to possibly sale after value research.

Sounds similar to Charlie Parker story/Alto Sax.

TIA!

Fini and I each have autographed albums of that amazing ukulele legend, Eddie Bush. They're probably worth thousands by now.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

BTW - I'm sure Allan will chime in. He's the expert when it comes to everything Art Pepper or any jazz for that matter. I have about 20 Art Pepper LPs and many of his early originals are fairly valuable. In fact, I just sold my copy of "Playboys" for over $200 on Ebay a couple weeks ago. I have no idea if the personal notes add to the value or take away which can happen in some cases.

It all depends on what record and what pressing. The most valuable Art Pepper records are the Jazz West and Intro LPs--they are both $1000 records in dead stone mint condition. It they are signed it MIGHT detract from the value a bit, but not a lot. The early Contemporary pressings are generally $100-$200 reconds in mint shape EXCEPT "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section" which often fetches 4 or 5 times that. The 10" LPs on Discovery can also sell for huge money, but are really REALLY scarce.

Any of the records from the 70's and 80's are worth $10-$20 in mint condition, but might be worth 3 times that if signed.

Here is an excerpt from the description given in an e-mail: I have a NOT for Sle Demo album.. "Atr Pepper 'Living Legend'.. 1975... Cover is in ok shape.No plasitc tho.. It's got a note and is signed...Remember it belonged to his friend, so it was taken out and listend to until she finally got them on tape...

Next.Art Lives..in Great shapt plastic on and not torn..Last release he made.. just before he died.. 1983

Next.. 'Modern Art', the art *epper Quartet. It's again in ok shape.. but tape on the bottom in the back.. released in 1951

Then..'The way it was'..Long letter written by Art on the cover..and signed.. 1972 decent shape for the age.

I also have the origional 1959 'Unforgettable album .. Nat King Cole.. a VERY young Nat on the cover.. Buddy rich from the 70's...

* I am asking for pics.....we'll see!

;

The only record there of any great value would be the "Modern Art" LP, IF it is the original "Intro" pressing. By the way, it was released in '56, not 1951.

If it's the later (1959) pressing on SCORE records, it is still worth about $100 on a good day.

If it's the 1970's reissue, it's worth about $8-$10 on ebay.

The only record there of any great value would be the "Modern Art" LP, IF it is the original "Intro" pressing. By the way, it was released in '56, not 1951.

If it's the later (1959) pressing on SCORE records, it is still worth about $100 on a good day.

If it's the 1970's reissue, it's worth about $8-$10 on ebay.

Almost begs the question, if Art did any Blue Note recording sessions.

Ok, I'll start letting her down some. I'll probably advise doing a package deal on e-bay, but I am expecting some pics from her that i want to post here first. Thought the unsealed Demo would be one.

Thanks for every input!

OK. That's the original pressing. The jacket is VG- at best, so unless the LP itself is dead stone mint and not in a similar state, you're looking at about $200-$300 on ebay on a good day or as little as $125 on a bad day. This is an $800-$1200 record in NM shape these days. That tape CAN be removed, which would help in selling the record, but DON'T ATTEMPT IT unless you know what you're doing!!!!

By the way, these INTRO pressings are really bad--I have a MINT copy of the Paul Chambers disc that I bought STILL SEALED about 25 years ago and it was noisy when new. I have the Pepper disc but I play the Japanese pressing because the sound of the original is pretty terrible. GREAT music, however and this has ALWAYS been one of the 2 or 3 most collectible "West Coast" jazz records.

OK, I have sent the owner of these records listed above an e-mail. Party may do a package/individual item sale here if, to see if any interest or, to E-Bay. If going to e-bay I will try to give a heads up. Party has now taken several pics of items as reuested by me.

***By Acquaintance I define it as casual from another forum, as I do not personally know owner***.

You say this Album of mine. that's my pic . $800.00 on a good day?

I think not. I got a message from the LA Jazz museum.com ...that THAT Album and Cover.. Tape and all is worth between (00.00

and 1200.00 on an Average Day!.. Mint, starts at 1500.00!

I have the rest of the collection, with Signed notes an Autograps

'The Way it Waqs and 'Living Legend' both Signed with notes and provenance from the one's he wrote to.L original!

Asking for the entire collection.. starting from $650.00.

This is my first time posting, so i have no idea where this post will show...

I am the one with the collection. And thank you BillyBob for your teaching me about this site.

I recieved a message from LAJAZZMUSEUM.com.. and Even with the tape on the Modern living album..

It's Worth between $700.00 and $800.00 on ANY day.I have the provenance as to who the letters and

nots Art wrote to on the albums are all about. Quite Historic actually, and way before Laurie met him.

The Notes to 'Ann', are to a friend that traveled with him form the 40's until the early 60's.

She became David O. Selznick's Personal Accountant.. and Dear Friends with Jennifer Jones-Selznick.

I have it all down, and still have some 35 milm. of them on tour in the early 50's.

JustMusic

You say this Album of mine. that's my pic . $800.00 on a good day?

I think not. I got a message from the LA Jazz museum.com ...that THAT Album and Cover.. Tape and all is worth between (00.00

and 1200.00 on an Average Day!.. Mint, starts at 1500.00!

I have the rest of the collection, with Signed notes an Autograps

'The Way it Waqs and 'Living Legend' both Signed with notes and provenance from the one's he wrote to.L original!

Asking for the entire collection.. starting from $650.00.

This is my first time posting, so i have no idea where this post will show...

The record price for that album on ebay is $3300 for a mint, sealed copy. This was an aberration, as the previous record price for a dead, stone mint copy was $1580, with $1225 being the third highest price bid-- AGAIN--these were DEAD STONE MINT COPIES!!! And there have been really, REALLY nice VG++' copies that have sold for $600-$800. I personally sold a spare copy of this record only two months ago that was in FAR better condion than yours--a SOLID VG, borderline VG+ copy-- for $415:

In looking at the "VG-" (read: BEAT) copies sold on ebay over the last 6 years, the lowest price I could find was $172 and the highest was $405, with the vast majority of these copies selling in the $250-$350 range. Again, I wouldn't pay more than $75-$100 for it AS A DEALER/SELLER/COLLECTOR. I suppose you could argue that your beat to death copy is worth $400 based on the highest price paid, but thinking it worth $800 is delusional. Go ahead and put it up on ebay with an $800 reserve with a $800 "Buy It Now" and see for yourself.

It's not like this is a record that there were only 500 copies pressed--there have been nearly 100 copies sold on ebay alone in the last 6 years. I have owned somewhere between 8 and 10 copies over the last 25 years.

And the "autograph" would actually REDUCE the value of a truly mint record for the vast majority of collectors, but not to all.

GOOD LUCK!!

You also must realize that ebay is now THE SITE THAT DETERMINES VALUE! Not the LA jazz Museum. Did they make you an offer? If not, their opinion is just that, an opinion! Are you a regular ebay seller of jazz records? There are a few top notch jazz record dealers on ebay and they get about 25% or more for their records than other regular sellers and most of the high paying customers are overseas (primarily Japanese collectors).

Go for it. I'll be interested to watch! I do wish you luck but be prepared.