adding amp to onkyo 606?

shortstack31489

From what i've read when it comes to adding seperates it's about the processor more than the amp. For example you are going to get the same quality of sound from the onkyo almost regardless of what amp. Not to say that amps have no sound characteristic but the majority of the way the sound sounds is the processor. So if you like the onkyo's sound stick with the onkyo sound. If you want something different, which in my case, I was not satisfied with the sound of the onkyo, so I got a new setup.

Adding a seperate amp may give you better dynamics but I don't think it will change the sound. just my 2cents

If you check the forums there's a pretty active thread about the emotiva gear going on now. From what I've read they make a good product at a price that's heard to beat.

Whether or not you would benefit, it depends where you're looking to improve the sound. Is it overall quality of the sound, the low end, the mid range, the high end? Do you just want it to player louder? Dynamics from tiny quiet to BOOM Loud with out touching the dial? You may improve the the sound you may not. Think about what you are trying to achieve then ask the question.

You'd need outboard amplification if you're driving your receivers amp section to it's limits and causing distortion. I'm not familiar with your particular receiver, but as a rule, seperate outboard amps are usually stouter than the inboard amps on most of the mid to low line receivers.

A high-quality power amp should sound better than the mid-quality power amp in your receiver, as well as having more power in most cases. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm not familiar with Onkyo receivers, but there are a number of forum members using Yamaha AV receivers as preamp/processors with outboard power amps very successfully.

i have been reading a lot of posts about adding amps to their theater systems.

I don't think the Onkyo TX-SR606 has pre-outs to add an external amp. Turn it around and look. I wouldn't want you to purchase an amp if you can't use it with your receiver.

Bill

[i don't think the Onkyo TX-SR606 has pre-outs to add an external amp. Turn it around and look. I wouldn't want you to purchase an amp if you can't use it with your receiver.

Bill

Bill, it looks as if you are correct. I looked at a pic of the back on the Onkyo website and I didn't see any pre-outs in the pic or specs.