forte' woofer

Samac

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker and a relatively new member. I'm also the original owner of a sweet pair of WO forte's, '88 vintage. Bought 'em because I wanted some real HiFi speakers to replace my Pioneers that came with the sweet Pioneer rack system I scored for barely graduating from high school.[:P] I've loved them from day one. Even way before I knew what HiFi really was and way, way before I knew what an audiophile was. I'm glad to say that I'm a recovering audiophile and that I'm very grateful that during the six odd years that I pursued everything that was supposed to be better than my forte's that they were never in jeopardy of leaving my possession[;)].

Anyway, I was listening to some James Taylor today while repositioning my speakers when I noticed during a deep bass note that there was a muted rattle coming from the speaker. I've always noticed this during the song "Up From Your Life" off JT's album "Hourglass" and have always attributed it to someting in the room getting excited from the low bass notes(not me but something actually part of the room). BTW, if you want to know how low your speakers go, throw on "Hourglass" and find out.[:D]

So, what is it? The woofer, the brace......? Hope I've provided the right info. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

You could always check to see if the woofer is screwed down tightly and the gasket is seated properly.... If you tap on the woofer it should sound tight light a drum skin.....

I believe the backs come off the Forte's (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and just unscrew the woofer....safest to go skip sides and cross un-tighten leaving 12:00 last......pop the woofer reseat the gasket and screw the woofer back down tightly...again cross tightening

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in

fenderbender,thanks for the reply. I've had the tweeter and mid horns out a few years ago to check contact on the wire but I'm scared to death to mess with the woofer or the PR which have never been touched. It's interesting, Iv'e only heard the rattle while playing the particular JT track I mentioned. Even when I play pipe organ music I've never noticed it. The speakers sound great. The rattle just has me very curious.

Cheers,

Hey guys,

fenderbender and others gave me some hlpful advice. Just curious if any of the many forte' owners here have experienced what I have(see original post). I doubt I'll take the woofer or the PR out untill I they sound bad. Right now everything sounds great but I may be used to listening to a woofer that's not optimal. Any more thoughts? Just trying to keep my forte's at there best.

They won't sound their best until you modify the crossover and

replace the tweeter diaphragm with Bob Crites's titanium one.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the post. I've wondered what my forte's would sound like with the crossovers overhualed or replaced. But since I've never used a soldering iron that's probably never going to happen. I may drop Ti dia. in some day since I have replaced the tweet dia. before. But I wonder if that's a case of something being more different than better. The CW III has Ti dia. so I'm sure they are good but the LS II and the K-horn both use the phenloic dia. like my forte'. I wonder why Klipsch hasn't changed those over to Ti? Anybody in SW Ohio or east central Indiana that has tricked out forte's that I could hear?

Anybody have anymore thoughts on the woofer rattle I've heard from my forte's?

Is it coming out of one speaker or both?

If it is only coming out of one side, reverse the speaker leads (power off first!) and listem to the same track again. If it switches sides, it could still be the speaker, but perhaps it is something on the track itself. Have you played
this same cut on another good system and had a listen? I've had that
happen before. Maybe something rattling in the studio.

The testing it free.

Bruce

EDIT: Wow... I just listened to that track and right at 4:00 min into the song there is some impressively low bass. I think it might make most speakers rattle. [:|]