MaxG-TV!!

fini

And that's just a 20-minute clip from the actual movie. Haven't had a chance to see the whole thing yet myself.

All I've ever seen is this 20 minute video when it first aired back in '06...if there is a full-length version, I've never heard anything about it (and I don't recall ever hearing Max mention a longer version). Guess Ken Barnes would know for sure...

This is a 20 minute clip from the DVD - which is just over an hour all in I think.

The DVD does contain footage from other places (not just aca) with loonies talking about magic cables and special woods and the like. It has to be said I also have a larger role in the main thing - I think these can be ordered from Ken himself but I am not sure - mine was a complementary copy.

AS mentioned above - this was done some time ago - and covered on this forum and just about every other audio forum on the planet. Its had a lot of hits - as I recall when we had it on the ACA servers it brought the whole thing to its knees and we had to move it.

I am now putting on my dark glasses and heavy disguise to go out - I will sign autographs if I have to - and I am available for weddings and Barmitzvahs...

Well, for some odd reason this was my first experience with it. I thought it was brilliant (especially the shots of the wives. It made me feel not so alone...). And Max, for what it's worth, you seemed the most sane among them. Ah, but I know better...[;)]

http://www.savagebeanfilms.com/movies/

The above link will take you to Ken's own website, where a 60 minute DVD of the ACA's 20 minute clip is derived from. Also includes other audio related short clips (40 minutes worth)...and it's yours for a small donation when you order the full length DVD from his site. Guess it pays to do a little research first! And thanks, Max, for the head's up.

Very nicely done film, very interesting. I like the portraits reflected on the tubes and other nice shots. I like the guy with the $250++K system.

I kept thinking, one speck of dust on an LP, you might as well have a $20K system with normal electricity and rack.

So is this stuff the real "high end" or are these guys putting together sensible buget versions of the real "high end" by making their own rims for LPs etc. and doing their own mods ? Is there a club somewhere featuring guys with the million dollar and above systems? The Athen's guys somehow seemed practical to me, very sensible systems for music lovers, its just that, as we all know, it ends up costing more than we think or like to admit. Well maybe 48 different amps in a year was a bit over the top.

C&S

OT,

Remember that much of the numbers quoting and so on is done for dramatic effect. We have members with sytems ranging from about 7 to 500 thousand euros - notice the ones that did not get mentioned. The sight of a Rega or a Project is not what the filmmaker was looking for.

Sweet, this was also my first chance at this clip and outside of the WAF's expressions the best part for me was the insane laugh of the gentleman with the feather duster in the back of his rack[:o] That mad scientist laugh is priceless[;)]

Used to check out the Turkish adiophile site years ago, not too different than the Greek Squad[H]

Wake up and read your post again. What was that about sensible?

Well he did confess to owning a cheap car as the trade off.

and the platter ring was a diy.

I like these guys, they really love their music.

I learned some possibly important things:

The sound quality could be:

50% clear electriciy

20% rack

25% speaker cables (also nice if you can see your own reflection mirrored on your tubes).

3% motor being absolutely isolated from table, the further away the better.

1% stylus/cartridge perpendicular to grooves at all time. eg. same angle.

The rest are some small factors we already know about.

(I'm just having fun here.....I'll bet the sound is out of this world....)

C&S

Good one Gregg.

Actually there was a big debate at some time in the club as to how far a motor actually should be from the TT as I remember. The problem is that as the belts get longer you get stretching of the belt - and/or slippage as a bigger and bigger issue. This is why Chritos runs, I think, 5 between the motor and the platter (via the flywheel of course).