What are the best cables for small tube amps and horns

Here's my situation. Im thinking about rewiring my system in a few months so right now Im the gathering information and opinion stage. currently I use MIT cables through out my whole system. Although I like the sound of MIT, sometimes I feel as if I'm missing out because of the capacitors inside of the boxes, and this would not be a problem but for the fact when I first put my system together I was using all solid state gear, now my system has evolved to all tube using a small 4 watt tube amp using 6v6gt tubes to power my Quartets.

Is anyone familiar with the cables from Alpha-core Goertz. They claim that their flat cables have lower resistance, and lower impedance than regular shielded cables, which logically one would think that it would result in a more efficient system and better sound overall especially when you're dealing with horns.

So if anyone has, or have heard these cables I sure would appreciate your responce. Thank you

Shan

jswillis73@aol.com

First of all, this is the WRONG place to come with this type of question. May I suggest you go to the Cable Asylum or the Tube Asylum. 60% or more of the responses in here will even question your ability to HEAR a difference in cable.... forget recommendations. You might receive a few but many more will be attempting to convince you that wire is wire and your persuit of such is a road not unlike the Magical Mystery Tour. Why have to endure it?

For what it's worth, I have had some of the Goertz wire in my system and I thought it was ok. It IS a very high capacitance wire so you will get raised eyebrows. IT is, however, a low inductance.

My recommendation is to ditch the MIT network cables if you are going with ultra low watt tube amps. I have the Transparent Wire that also has a version of the Networks (in fact, I thought it bettered the MIT). Still, the Transparent wire that worked wonders via my solid state and even higher powered tube amps did not do well at all via my 3.5 watt 2A3 Monoblocks, sounding slightly heavy and ponderous. They were too dark. I had to ditch them with the SET amps.

What I found that really floated my boat and worked wonders with the Cornwalls and low watt SET is the DIYCable wire. I have the Superlative, Fat Ones, and Twisted Cross Connect speaker wire. They work VERY VERY well with low watt tubes and Klipsch.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I hear your pain...

I actually loved the Transparent as well. I still use them on other systems. Many really have disdain for the Network cables but I did find they do wonders for the silence between notes giving a subjective increase in the blackness of the background and the foundation of the low end. The bass was improved more often that not. Even non Audio goons noticed the difference.

I just wish they worked with my SET amps. IF you ever take a tour down that path, you might find the MIT a bit dark via the low watt SET solution. I even found 75 cents worth of Radio Shack 18awg Solid Core to better the Transparent wire. It was the best wire I ever had with my B&K Monoblocks.

I imagine they will work well with your Bryston gear.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-08-2002 at 05:55 PM

I think ShantheMITmanowar does have a low power SET. I guess he didnt see my post, however. I know ole Deang is saying to keep the MIT (which would work in his application perhaps), but I am telling you that you might very well get a MUCH MORE OPEN and alive sound (almost POSITIVE about this) by NOT using the MIT with the networks with your low watt SET solution. And I have a SET with insanely good transformers.

Switching to something like the DIYCable "Twisted Cross Connect" speaker wire and the "Superlative" IC gave be a far more "alive" and OPEN sound.... much more unfettered and detailed. The NETWORK wire sounded darker and more closed in. It was a "buttoned up" type of sound that was ok...but once I switched, I saw what I was missing.

I dont think the use of NETWORK MIT wire is good with SET amplification. I also personally know of no one going this route with SET as well. I tried it for a few months but gave up.

kh

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

Tom, I guess I got tired of reading this type of response without really knowing and I decided to see for myself where it would compare since I had actually never plugged "Zip Cord" into my Cornwalls (I actually use generic zip cord with my little mono Harman Kardon pp EL-84 amp from ages ago).

I found some black zip cord I had on hand for some copper lamp projects I had on hold. I stripped the ends, trimmed to 8ft lengths, and inserted between Cornwalls and 2A3 monoblocks. What was coming out? An 8ft pair of Twisted Cross Connect ala John Risch via DIYCable. I let the system warm back up a bit and then settled for a listen.

Well, I will say this, zip cord seems to have a less detrimental affect on horns then on my normal speakers such as the ProAcs. It sounded pretty alive and quick. But alas, there were serious differences in the sonics, differences that Audrey noticed as well (she was working on her laptop in the same room). At the risk of offending all those that hate "audio-babble" I will continue...

The soundstage was just not as three dimensional. In other words, the feeling that each was a distinct instrument seperated from one another was diminished with the zip cord. Also, the highs seemed to have a bit more emphasis which led to a slightly more grainy affect. The sound was simply not as smooth and rich. The bass line was less distinct with the double bass. I was listening to an ECM recording of Paul Bley, Evan Parker, and Barre Phillips called Sankt Gerold Variations, which was a rather avant-garde, free jazz session recorded live in an Austrian mountain monastery ( http://www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/recordings/1609.html ). The sense of space in this large room is very evident when your system is set up correctly. The sound is a bit bright as it is direct to digital and the room has very little sound asorption properties. What it does have is a very live sounding presentation. And with the zip cord, there was a noticable reduction in ability to hear where this trio was. In addition, the grain introduced (this is subtle my friends...not like Peterbilt) was getting in the way. Audrey commented on this aspect immediately with the comment, "it doenst seem as smooth and clear." Somne of the definition and articulation was lost compared to the Risch cable.

What I WILL admit, is that this zip cord might ACTUALLY be more alive sounding that the Network cables in some systems. In that way, ole Tom might be correct. But in all honesty, the zip cord to Twisted Cross Connect was no comparison. The feeling of each individual instrument was diminished, a subtle layer of grain was added in the highs, and there was even a slight loss of that feeling of blackness to the silence.

After about two hours, Audrey said, "ok...have you had enough? When are you going to put it back the way it was?"

Note: This test was conducted with the 2A3 amps and not the Monarchy Audio SM-70 I have been listening to over the last few days.

Draw your own conclusions. Witchcraft...Sonic gobbledegook...loss of sanity. This is what was experienced here on 02/09/02. Of course, I wouldnt be honest if I didnt admit some Australian Lindemans Cabernet was involved...

kh

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-10-2002 at 12:00 PM