Nakamichi BX-300

lshannon

Hello,

My NAD cassette deck died. At a local shop, I picked up a Nakamichi BX-300 that had been

serviced for $95.00 to transfer some tapes to CDR. I have been unable to locate a Users Manual on the web. By any chance,

does anyone have a pdf of one that they could share?

- Lee

Lee,

I have a BX-300 purchased new lo these many years ago. This is a well-made three motor deck with a dual capstan transport. One capstan shaft is slightly smaller diameter-wise and the tape is gently stretched as it passes over the three heads.

One transport problem you may encounter is the friction idler wheels will slip in FFWD and RWD. Nakamichi's fix was to change to a gear-driven system. If you are experiencing FFWD or RWD problems and your deck doesn't have the mod, just let the tape "play" to the end or try to find some rubber cleaner/rejuvenator such as Rogersol.

Here is a link to the service manual.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/25051/NAKAMICHI_BX-300.html

Lee

• 5 years later...

Yes! The RX series definitely wins for the COOL factor! I loved watching that tape reverse!

I picked up a Dragon via a member on forum. I didn't play it much before sending it in to Perryinva on audiokarma. He did a fantastic job and would suggest him for any Nak service! This Dragon sat in a cabinet for its entire life and was in mint condition. He said the heads looked like they only had 40 hours of play or so.

I bought one of the BX series new. 5 or so years ago it needed the idler tire replaced so I replaced the belts too. Not a big deal but also needed. The tire was a little tricky... I have instructions around somewhere if someone needs them.

Perry spelled out my options very clearly and was actually pretty humble about his abilities but proved himself to be extremely capable. I basically wanted it restored to a level that would give many years of service. Among the upgrades were LEDs for the counter bulbs, replacement for the original 4066 cmos switches, and replacement of the common failure parts. He cleaned and lubed everything necessary. All belts were replaced. He has the alignment and Nakamichi calibration tools. He also provided a calibration tape when he was done. I'm sorry I don't remember the amount but remember it being very reasonable for the work done.

I got pictures of the process which was pretty scary to see all those guts and wires hanging out! No worries though... Works like a champ now!

PM sent...

You can contact Perry on the Audiokarma.org forum. His user name is "Perryinva".

He didn't check his messages everyday so don't be concerned if he doesn't respond immediately. If you start a conversation with him he might move it to email.

I wouldn't beat him up asking for a lot of free advice out of respect for his time. If you browse around on the forum you will find he has given out a lot of advice.

He did fantastic work for me and at a fair price!