Best horn speaker I've ever heard?

russ69

I don't have a vote, I haven't heard that many horn systems. Except maybe the Altec Voice of the Theater that was in every movie house in the 60's. I have heard Avantguard in a limited demo, very nice. I'm sure Khorn will be right up there but lets hear about them all.

Thanx, Russ

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the Juliee, ALtec Voice of the Theater, Klipschorn, Patrician IV, and a few others.

The Altec Voice of the Theater is probally the least expensive to find used. Since they don't look like much to start with, there're aren't to many grades between beater and minty....but they do sound nice.

The Klipschorn is an almost complete system. My beef with it is the hole it has in the mid bass area. Folks have tried to over come this with direct radiators, wooden horns, etc.

The Jubilee is so overwleming with the highs, mid band, that it leaves me feeling something is missing at the lower end. It's probally a fine speaker for large venues if you add a subwoofer to it like a few folks have done.

The best sounding horn speaker I've heard is the Patrician IV. The Patrician IV is basically a 4 way version of the Klipschorn. It has excellent mid bass due to a large wooden 200hz horn. It's easy on the eyes as well. It's a little bigger than the Klipschorn. It seems to have a deeper low end as well. Most have t-350 tweeters which run circles around the T-35/K-77.

But before I close the book, I would like to hear some MCM Grand IV's. In studing the design and the componets, I think it has all the right elements to be right at the top.

The Jubilee is so overwleming with the highs, mid band, that it leaves me feeling something is missing at the lower end. It's probally a fine speaker for large venues if you add a subwoofer to it like a few folks have done.

Which version did you hear? The 3-way used for theaters? I can't help but wonder if you had the passive xover designed for shooting through a screen (which cranks up the highs quite a bit).

I don't care too much for the Altec speakers, and I only like the very latest Khorn which has EQ in the xover for toning down the tubbiness in the bassbin.

I've always enjoyed every Tannoy speaker I've heard, but the best of that list doesn't seem to be advertised on their website anymore (I'll have to do some more research). I've not heard the Westminster Royale or any of their oldschool huge designs.

Does the Palladium count as a horn loaded speaker? The mids and highs are amazing smooth.

I'd have to say the 2-way Jubilee with active xovers done right is my favorite all-horn system. I think it'd be fun to do a blind shootout someday between all the speakers people list as being the best.

Malcolm Hill M3s & M2s. Odd combinations of ATC (9" I believe) and Tannoy co-ax drivers. Amazing low end & a fine box all around, rumor has it that the original UK Live Aid had 52 a side. Anyway, here they are on a Saxon tour in a type of configuration we used to affectionately refer to as "a flying junkyard!" I'd be one nervous drummer on that stage!

First picture is Hammersmith Odeon, one of the greatest rock venues ever. Load in, hit the pub next door, come back for sound check, hit the pub again, then back for the show then load out.

SAXONHAMMERSMITH.jpg

M3SaxonBrighton.jpg

• Moderators

I have heard Khorns, Jubes, Avant Garde Duo's and Magico Ultimates.

I would say the Ultimates are by far and away the best horn speakers I have ever heard, the best speakers I have ever heard period. However, they are not very practical and unrealistically expensive.

Next woud be the Jubes, and then the Avantgarde's, followed by the K-horns.

Travis

I have heard Khorns, Jubes, Avant Garde Duo's and Magico Ultimates.

I would say the Ultimates are by far and away the best horn speakers I have ever heard, the best speakers I have ever heard period. However, they are not very practical and unrealistically expensive.

$329,000 for the Ultimates may seem high at first, but that is for the pair. Most speaker firms list their prices for a single speaker.

The Jamboree is better than the Jubilee, right? Are Jamborees supposedly in theaters too?

The Jamboree is NOT a Klipsch designed speaker. It was designed by Dana Moore (mostly), a former forum member. He lives in Seattle, WA. He has applied for patents on some of his designs. He has also been accused of stealing ideas from other forum members.

So, to answer your first question - no one knows. The answer to your second question is 'no'. He doesn't have a company to build or market his speakers. Klipsch, however, does have a real company and marketing department. A great wood shop - I think all the pro stuff is still made in Hope, AR, the original HQ for Klipsch. For sure, all the Heritage line is made there (Khorn, LaScala, Cornwall and Heresy lines)

Bruce

The Jamboree is better than the Jubilee, right? Are Jamborees supposedly in theaters too?

The Jamboree is NOT a Klipsch designed speaker. It was designed by Dana Moore (mostly), a former forum member. He lives in Seattle, WA. He has applied for patents on some of his designs. He has also been accused of stealing ideas from other forum members.

So, to answer your first question - no one knows. The answer to your second question is 'no'. He doesn't have a company to build or market his speakers. Klipsch, however, does have a real company and marketing department. A great wood shop - I think all the pro stuff is still made in Hope, AR, the original HQ for Klipsch. For sure, all the Heritage line is made there (Khorn, LaScala, Cornwall and Heresy lines)

Bruce

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I had wrongly assumed it was a Klipsch product. In another thread Greg has one he built (?) that he likes better than the Jubilee that he also has.

The more I read about these, the less impressed I am. Sounds like they have been hyped by some people.

But before I close the book, I would like to hear some MCM Grand IV's. In studing the design and the componets, I think it has all the right elements to be right at the top.

Fritz, ifyou look at my Avatar, you will see that I have done just that...............a poor man's MCM-4T. I have owned all of the Heritage series and a few Choruses and KG4's. Nothing touches the sound of what I have now, recently upgraded with HR960 horn lenses on my 2" throat drivers. The Peavey Midbass blows away the Khorn and LaScala (no 180 Hz. hump) because it's flat from 150 to 1.2 Khz.

So yeah, I think you would find the current MCM Grand 4T to be THE Mac Daddy of the Klipsch line. I have been saying this to deaf ears for a long time. It would trounce the Paladiums and the Jubes when set up right.

So yeah, I think you would find the current MCM Grand 4T to be THE Mac Daddy of the Klipsch line. I have been saying this to deaf ears for a long time. It would trounce the Paladiums and the Jubes when set up right.

I've heard the MCM Grand....doesn't touch the Pals or Jubs for home use. Now for PA....heck ya, bring it on. Though I would love a version that was solid down to 30Hz.