Best horn speaker I've ever heard?

russ69

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With passive networks.

Better things to come . . . Wink

Greg, that speaker design really clicks with me. It looks balanced and not being overpowered by the big mid/treble horn on top. That's a design issue I have with the popular version of the Jubilee doing the rounds at the moment...

"Best horns I've ever heard"...hm...OK, how about klipschorns, 1976, The House Of Sound in Springfield, MO. The music was the LP "Sailboat" by Jonathan Edwards, which btw is an overlooked classic of the country/rock era (imho, of course). No wait, the best horns ever heard would have to be the klipschorns I heard at Flip's Stereo in St. Louis in about 1986, playing "Graceland" by Paul Simon. Wow. I'll never forget that experience!

But for the best horn sound I've ever heard in my house, my LS2's (with subs) hold that honor!

With passive networks.

Better things to come . . . Wink

Greg, that speaker design really clicks with me. It looks balanced and not being overpowered by the big mid/treble horn on top. That's a design issue I have with the popular version of the Jubilee doing the rounds at the moment...

Same size bass bin as the Jubilee.

I'm interested in exploring a higher crossover point and a smaller wood horn with a higher quality driver.

Kinda like this, but different.

post-11090-13819436835914_thumb.jpg

For home use, modified Khorns.

For a concert system, Showco Prism with Prism subs.

Since the Showco name has been officially retired by Clair I think I can divulge all! Only the upper mids in the Prism are horn loaded, everything else is front mounted except of course the bullet tweeters. Not a critiscm, still one of the most fun systems to mix on I agree.

The more I read about these, the less impressed I am. Sounds like they have been hyped by some people.

I was concerned about them being over hyped by some people. that all changed when I heard them. I heard Bill's Jub setup powered by Crown XTIs. I was blown away by the sound. Though, his may be set up better than most. I believe Roy had some input in setting Bill's up, especially with the EQ on the XTIs. Having said all of this, I have a limited exposure to non-Klipsch horns... so, take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks,

Daniel

I believe Roy had some input in setting Bill's up, especially with the EQ on the XTIs

That is one of the reasons many are using the XTIs. Roy has provided settings for different combinations of the bass bin andtop horn/driver, i.e., 402/K-69, 510/K-69, 402/TAD. He even came up with a no holds barred passive. I think they ended up about 18x24 inches... [:|]

I have heard Khorns, Jubes, Avant Garde Duo's and Magico Ultimates.

I would say the Ultimates are by far and away the best horn speakers I have ever heard, the best speakers I have ever heard period. However, they are not very practical and unrealistically expensive.

Next woud be the Jubes, and then the Avantgarde's, followed by the K-horns.

I was saving my pennies for a pair of Jubilees, but now it looks like I need to save my thousand-dollar bills for a pair of Ultimates... [:P]

full range horn speakers i woulld have to say avantegarde duo's, then oris horn ultra system using aer drivers, then avantgarde uno's , and then k-horns i would like to hear altec but have not found any close enough yet

now if you wanna go bang for the buck thats another story, the oris would take top honors with the k-horns second

just my opinion though

Joe

I'm interested in exploring a higher crossover point and a smaller wood horn with a higher quality driver.

I might be a bit out of bounds since I'm not sure if you're talking about the bins you built... if so, then I THINK one of the reasons they went with two 12" drivers in the Jubilees (as opposed to two 15's) was to help get to a higher xover point (as well as I'm sure other parameters) Perhaps if I misunderstand, Doc Who or someone else can correct me.

Just a for "what it's worth" kind of comment.

I believe the Jub went from a single 15 to dual 12's. I don't know of any other bassbins that do 40Hz to 800Hz, let alone even higher?

So what's the big black thing on top of the Magico Ultimates? One of the pics makes it look like it's just aesthetic? But then it might be a midbass horn?

I believe the Jub went from a single 15 to dual 12's

Ahh grasshopper... but why?

I thought I was told by BerryBoy, and perhaps I'm using faulty memory, the reason they went from one 15 to two 12's was more surface area (or was it "more motor"?) less excursion (less distortion) and the 12's would play higher (higher xover point)

If that's accurate, then Greg might want to at least contemplate that prior to a build rather than "doh! why didn't anyone tell me that BEFORE I spent 3 months building these huge things"

This was a long, LONG time ago . . .

When I was a young pup I used to hang out at "Henry Radio" and check out all of their really high-end stuff--we're talking early 1970's. They had a pair of HUGE Tannoy folded horn speakers--they were each the size of a small refrigerator--that were absolutely amazing--it's been 30+ years since I've heard or seen these (at the time they were at least 10 years old and had never left the store), but they were the best darn thing I'd ever heard. I have no idea if they would sound as good to me today, but there was a pair on ebay a couple of years ago and I toyed with the idea of trying to buy them--that is until the bidding went over $10,000. If I remember correctly they were THIS model:

big_speaker.gifhttp://www.ominous-valve.com/images/big_speaker.gif'>