Best horn speaker I've ever heard?

russ69

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear this one

At first I was thinking...where's the bass? But then I looked a bit closer.....that's gotta sound awesome.

Is there more info available on it?

Without a lot of EQ (none in my case), 4-way seems to be the result of the limitations of horns in terms of efficiency-bandwidth product.

I love Klipsch bass horns. To me that is where they stand apart from other speaker companies. The direct driver is nice but everyone does that..

I have been trying to locate a pair of Tannoy Westminster speakers to demo. Dual concentric back loaded horns. If anyone knows of a pair availablefor demo in the south let me know. The history of the speaker is inspiring.

Westminster_cutaway.jpgtannoy-westminster%20royal%20se-0_116976

In Atlanta there is an audio dealer called, "Audio Atlanta" which is actually in Marietta(North West Side of Atlanta) that has Tannoy speakers and they had some large ones in there several years ago. I recently emailed them about which models they have but got no reply. Try your luck with contacting them. I went several weeks ago and listened to some 15" Concenntric Tannoys that are in the 36" tall cabiniets-standard ported design, but something was amiss in the system and there was too much audible distortion in the sound. So I don't know what the root of the problem was, just didn't blow me away like I was expecting.

http://audioatlanta.com/Rogue_Audio/Home/Speakers/speakers.html

Surprised no one has mentionned the JBL Hartsfield... (which so many seem to rave about... though i have never seen or heard a pair...)

At first I was thinking...where's the bass? But then I looked a bit closer.....that's gotta sound awesome.

and those are just his rear surrounds... [:P]

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out a local guy found a set of Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers at Goodwill for $ 45.00

There is a set on Ebay in Louisville, Ky for 999.00 this week.....sure would like to hear those before I die.,

Here is a question for ya,,, would you rather buy a set of Voice of the Theatre speakers for 1k or have a set of Jubilees? Which would have more uumph?

".....

Here is a question for ya,,, would you rather buy a set of Voice of the Theatre speakers for 1k or have a set of Jubilees? Which would have more uumph?

......"

Sometimes folks use the term VOTT to cover many different models done by Altec. Not all are necessarily VOTT. So be watchful about which models are actually being discussed.

That said, I have never been especially fond of the bass on the VOTTs (it is not their strong point). I think other cabinets (in that price range) do it better. Certainly a Klipschorn or Jubilee has a better bass response. Just my opinion etc.

Some of the cabinets mentioned above (by Maron) are extraordinarily expensive.

That said, I have never been especially fond of the bass on the VOTTs (it is not there strong point). I think other cabinets (in that price range) do it better. Certainly a Klipschorn or Jubilee has a better bass response. Just my opinion etc.

that settles that then....no VOTT speakers for me. I still need little to remind myself how tight and punchy the bass was at Coytees house, I guess it will be hard to top that experience. Welll.....that is until I have 4 Jubilee bass bins in my house.

Try a TANNOY WESTMINSTER,,Awsome,,, No i have never been shy about spending money.

Last pair on Audiogon was priced at 12k used, I need to save my money so that I can go back to the British Virgin Islands in May when my daughter gets married.....this is a shot from last August.

Posted Image

There is more to life than speakers....( did I actually say that?)[*-)]

"....

that settles that then....no VOTT speakers for me. I still need little to remind myself how tight and punchy the bass was at Coytees house, I guess it will be hard to top that experience. Welll.....that is until I have 4 Jubilee bass bins in my house.

...."

There are plenty of VOTTs out there to listen to for yourself. Have a listen and see what you think. Besides my cynical view is that you can take a cabinet with a superb bass response, bring it home and put it in the "wrong" room and lose all the benefits anyway.

On another note, it looks like Coytee got you into this mess. Maybe it is up to him to get you out. Why not offer to trade your current system to him in exchange for his Jubilees. It is the least he could do to make up for things.

Just a thought ...

Try a TANNOY WESTMINSTER,,Awsome,,, No i have never been shy about spending money.

Last pair on Audiogon was priced at 12k used, I need to save my money so that I can go back to the British Virgin Islands in May when my daughter gets married.....this is a shot from last August.

P1000435.jpg

There is more to life than speakers....( did I actually say that?)Confused

Amen. I spent 10 in St.Lucia and it was the best vacation of my life. Best chunk of money I have ever spent. Gotta get back. Have you noticed that Island music is always so good from Calypso to Balinese purcussion... Hell yeah! Island mon.

I haven't located a demo pair of Westminsters yet.

I have to chime in here for my old friend Dr. Bruce Edgar. Who, btw, had a fairly close relationship with PWK. His Edgarhorn Titan system, including the Seismic Sub is the single best sounding system I've ever heard. Coming in #2 is Josh's (forum member) modified Belle based system with Dr. Edgars modified K-Horn's coming in third.

The Edgarhorn system was powered by a pair of very expensive, custom made amps. The sound was amazing!

post-7667-1381944692425_thumb.jpg