Best horn speaker I've ever heard?

russ69

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever hear the Meyer Sound X-10 (X-10T for home use) horn studio monitor?

I read a lot of possitive comments on this one but don't have a chance to hear here in Taiwan.

Here is the link: http://www.meyersound.com/products/studioseries/x-10/

I vote for X-10T even I own a pair of mixed / mod Khorn and mod La Scala both with ALK xover and TAD ET-703 replacing orig tweeter, and Genesis G900 sub.

I hear several sets of Avantgarde Due Omega and Mezzo, and Grosso here. I got to say, my mod Khorn and La Scala beat them all if correctly set up.

No, but I've used their other products (studio & live) extensively. The great thing about Meyer (and other top grade studio monitors) is that on the right source material they will sound fantastic. The bad thing is that on the wrong source material they will make you want to rip the arm off your turntable. In otherwords, complete transparancy, phase response & accuracy are not always advanges in a home system!

No, but I've used their other products (studio & live) extensively. The great thing about Meyer (and other top grade studio monitors) is that on the right source material they will sound fantastic. The bad thing is that on the wrong source material they will make you want to rip the arm off your turntable. In otherwords, complete transparancy, phase response & accuracy are not always advanges in a home system!

Thanks, so it needs a warm tube pre-amplifier to calm it down a little bit... [*-)]

Have you ever use the famous Meyer CQ-1? How is it compare to Jubilee in actual listening? (Though the size and LF is different, I found these two are comparable on "energy", "polar response" / "dispersion pattern".)

Thanks again.

Have you ever use the famous Meyer CQ-1? How is it compare to Jubilee in actual listening? (Though the size and LF is different, I found these two are comparable on "energy", "polar response" / "dispersion pattern".)

Thanks again.

I used to own 6 CQ-2s (slightly different horn pattern). Very sweet sounding speaker with a nice vocal clarity & probably the only live speaker you could live with at the house. I can't compare to the Jubilees as I've never heard them. Drop your off at my house & I'll let you know! The CQ series horns were "reverse engineered." John Meyer felt that theoretical horn design had reached its limit and started fabricating by eye & experince. The outcome was a huge pile of rejected horns (at $20K each as Helen said pointing ruefully to them) and the CQ series. The succesful designs were then measured on Meyer's custom SIM system (they have a large anachoic chamber) and the math nailed down.

Meyer are a very interesting company, their attention to detail & QC process is almost without parallelis an industry obsessed with both. A visit to their sprawling facility in Berkeley is a treat & I highly recommend their SIM school for anyone who really wants to get into the whys & wherefores of professional sound reinforcement.

Thanks again.

I used to own 6 CQ-2s (slightly different horn pattern). Very sweet sounding speaker with a nice vocal clarity & probably the only live speaker you could live with at the house. I can't compare to the Jubilees as I've never heard them. Drop your off at my house & I'll let you know! The CQ series horns were "reverse engineered." John Meyer felt that theoretical horn design had reached its limit and started fabricating by eye & experince. The outcome was a huge pile of rejected horns (at $20K each as Helen said pointing ruefully to them) and the CQ series. The succesful designs were then measured on Meyer's custom SIM system (they have a large anachoic chamber) and the math nailed down.

Meyer are a very interesting company, their attention to detail & QC process is almost without parallelis an industry obsessed with both. A visit to their sprawling facility in Berkeley is a treat & I highly recommend their SIM school for anyone who really wants to get into the whys & wherefores of professional sound reinforcement.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I wish I can go to your place to see and listen to CQ speakers. However, I'm in Taiwan [:'(]

I'm seriously consider to buy one set of CQ-1 (x-10t is too expensive) rather than the big Jub due to limited space. (Ha Ha, I have khorn and La Scala already, just wanted to change my taste a little bit. And maybe sell out khorn for CQ-1) Any one hear both that can compare them a little bit?

I wish I can go to your place to see and listen to CQ speakers. However, I'm in Taiwan [:'(]

I'm seriously consider to buy one set of CQ-1 (x-10t is too expensive) rather than the big Jub due to limited space. (Ha Ha, I have khorn and La Scala already, just wanted to change my taste a little bit. And maybe sell out khorn for CQ-1) Any one hear both that can compare them a little bit?

Wish you could too - I sold them! Got out of the Gear Rental Business to focus on the Me Rental Business! Here's the dealer in Taipei, you might give them a call. If you're looking to buy they should certainly let you demo.

Winley Production Service

No.2, Lane 50, Sec. 3

Nan-Kang Road

Taipei

Taiwan

(+)886 2 2788 3375

Wish you could too - I sold them! Got out of the Gear Rental Business to focus on the Me Rental Business! Here's the dealer in Taipei, you might give them a call. If you're looking to buy they should certainly let you demo.

Winley Production Service

No.2, Lane 50, Sec. 3

Nan-Kang Road

Taipei

Taiwan

(+)886 2 2788 3375

Thanks, I've contacted them already. Now arranging CQ-1 and upm-1p + ums-1p sub.

BTW, upm-1p is a really small speaker that with one 1 inch metal dome horn tweeter and two 5 inch woofer that can produce sound pressure level higher than La Scala / khorn .... incredible !!!

BTW, upm-1p is a really small speaker that with one 1 inch metal dome horn tweeter and two 5 inch woofer that can produce sound pressure level higher than La Scala / khorn .... incredible !!!

I'm looking at 6 of them right now! That speaker (in it's previous non-powered version) has been in production for over 20 years. You can find many of the the oldies still working daily with their original drivers intact. Meyer builds for longevity!

Let us know how you liked the CQs, remember they require +4 pro-level to drive properly.

I'm looking at 6 of them right now! That speaker (in it's previous non-powered version) has been in production for over 20 years. You can find many of the the oldies still working daily with their original drivers intact. Meyer builds for longevity!

Let us know how you liked the CQs, remember they require +4 pro-level to drive properly.

Winlypro is a PA renting and pro equipment dealer here in Taiwan.

I went to their place and auditioned Meyer upm-1p, upa-1p, studio monitor hd-1, K&H active studio monitor 100, 300 models. They don't have CQ-1 at this moment (Rented out).

They are placed in a PA practice place with all these speakers spread over on big PA transportation boxes. These speakers are connected through Mackie control with a pretty basic pioneer CD player.
The following are my short comments based on a not very healthy set up:
K&H are very good studio monitors. I didn't spent much time on these. They are simply not my target.

Meyer mid-range on upm-1p & upa-1p are very clean, transparent and sweet with smooth and detailed high. Hardly to believe a very big and loud sound is from this small speaker. The width and height of upm-1p is jusk like the mid-range horn of La Scala .... The max SPL of upm-1p is even higher than La Scala .......

Since it is not a good setup, I'm gonna talk to the dealer asking to borrow upm-1p for few days so that I can listen at home comparing to my mod La Scala (with ALK xover and TAD ET-703 as tweeter). This must be a very interesting comparison.

BTW, the grill cover of upm-1p looks very very ugly .....
Others are not good but however, acceptable.

I've never thought of UPM-1Ps for home use. They generally spend their lives under balconies or on the stage edge (time aligned to the main system of course). Since, in these applications they are fairly heavily hi-passed (18db/octave at around 250Hz in my case) I've never really thought much about their low end. The complimentary sub is the USW-1P double 15".

Let us know your impressions against the La Scalas (I have Crites mod'd LS). Remember again that the Meyer's inputs are looking for +4dB to drive them, unbalanced is fine though.

I've never thought of UPM-1Ps for home use. They generally spend their lives under balconies or on the stage edge (time aligned to the main system of course). Since, in these applications they are fairly heavily hi-passed (18db/octave at around 250Hz in my case) I've never really thought much about their low end. The complimentary sub is the USW-1P double 15".

Let us know your impressions against the La Scalas (I have Crites mod'd LS). Remember again that the Meyer's inputs are looking for +4dB to drive them, unbalanced is fine though.

I went through several comparisons then found maybe upm-1p with ums-1p (2 x 10 inch) can do pretty well at home with LD-2 xovered at 160hz. (Either two upm-1p with one or two ums-1p.) Furtunately, the dealer have two sets of upm-1p just coming back from Cirque Du Soleil and therefore I can audition them at their place.