Cornwall questions?

PhilMays

Last night I played a few CD's and I noticed these CW's were VERY boomy...I couldn't seem to calm them down. The room is totally untreated and is basically cider block walls...this is the room I'm working on....my impression last night was that they simply are not as "tight" as my RF-7's.

Will accoustical treatment help this? I was using a Marantz 2385 to power them. I am using a Technics EQ to calm them down somewhat.

Any help much appreciated!

Phil

I wonder if I should but some extra batt in the speakers? Of course the room is a work in progress and will have treatments, etc...I'm going to change out the system to see if that helps...Of course I've not taken my RF-7's down stairs, and will not, but this was my impression and I think it may simply be the lack of ...anything in the room.

Try putting the Cornwalls into the corners on the floor (yep, that's right), and put bass traps in the other two corners.

Chris

Try putting the Cornwalls into the corners on the floor (yep, that's right), and put bass traps in the other two corners.

Chris

Yes, and try them out of the corners up against the wall, and then away from the wall. Probably your room is exciting the offending low frequencies.

My Cornwalls sound boomy in my living room in the corners (which is the only place I have for them), but if I move them over from the corners just a little, the sound changes for the better. I find that I like SS power on the Cornwalls better than tubes.

Greg

In the interim until you do other "stuff" to the room, you can always hang some "el cheapo" blankets on the side walls and on the rear wall if space allows. Not WAF approved, but could diffuse the offending bass and give you an idea of where the problems are located. How bout a throw rug on the floor?

Back in 2007, when I was enclosing the rear porch for the "man cave", I had a number of conversations and "consultation" sessions with MAS (Mark Sweazy). Several cost effective (as in cheap to do it now...) things were decided on. First thing was leave the ceiling "splayed" or angled up from the "wall of voodoo" to the rear of the room. Second thing we knew we would have to do was make sure that the space behind the drywall was insulated with at least R-13 or greater, and that the "space" separating the insulation from either the drywall or the exterior wall should be next to the exterior wall. This put the insulation (as in dampening material) directly behind the drywall. The other thing we did was "splay" the walls about 3 degrees. It's not noticeable, but the difference is about 4" from the "voodoo" corners to the rear of the room. Since it's very slight, the K'horns still seal into the corners.

And... on the side walls, the bookshelves were designed as little "boxes". Each "cubby" contains some books, arrayed from tall to short, wide and narrow, and in a random arrangement. These act as a diffuser to limit the bass bouncing around. Up in the corners, are the "field expedient" corner trap "blankees", etc. The far wall (the entrance to the main living area) has the audio equipment rack which also traps bass to some degree.

I've attached some photos that show the bookshelf design.

Exuse the "mess", but the A/C guy (and me...) are putting in the final vents in the ceiling today, and everything is scattered all over the place. After the vents are installed and I clean up the mess, the sound absorption "squares" will go up along the top of the rear wall, and on and behind the entrance door to the "man cave". The emergency wall unit A/C shown in the photo is "fixin" to leave (no longer required by code as I upgraded and replaced the A/C compressor and handler last year).

Just some ideas that I used to stop "boominess". It worked very well, and while the K'horns are in the corners, there's either Belles or Cornwalls, Heresy's and Forte's in the room.

I suggest doing some real reading on the subject, not that the members here aren't well intentioned.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

New Quick & Dirty Recipe

Thanks to my less motivated friends, I have a new recipe:
buy three rolls of 15" wide fiberglass (virtually any thickness, as the rolls are longer for the thinner stuff, and the total diameter ends up about the same, it can be faced or unfaced) insulation, stack them on top of one another, leaving them in the plastic bags, and wrap burlap or grill cloth around them. For better HF absorption, wrap polyester batting around one side or the entire sides. You can use something like duct tape to hold the three bags of fiberglass together, and to tape the polyester batting into place, etc. How invloved you wish to get is up to you. They should be placed in the corners, as for all bass traps.

This will work almost as well as the wire fence version in my recipe, at perhaps 70-80% of the bass absortion, with no resonances, or problems.

BTW, a reminder that I now have pics of a cylindrical bass trap at my web site.

Phil,

Sorry to hear about the sound that you are getting... Looks like they are not going to work out for you, so just ship them at to me and I will try them out... [:P]

I think everyone here already gave you some great information, I hope they settle down for you.

James

my impression last night was that they simply are not as "tight" as my RF-7's.

They never will be. Tight isn't there strong point IMHO. I still contest that these aren't great rock and roll speakers but astounding Jazz speakers. Now excuse me while I take cover!