Passive Preamps

Deang

Colin did you right by pointing you to an interesting take on passive units. Nice points made. In addition, there are many other passive units out there and it is damn easy (just about the easiest thing) to make on your own.

My take on passives has changed back and forth many times over the years and with varying systems and components. I still have a passive and I have had passive unit of some sort since the early 80s. In fact, I dont think I have ever been without one in one form or another.

The bottom line is a passive is a great little piece of gear to have under the right conditions and I have cycled mind in and out of my system many times. I currently own a Creek OBH-12 which is a neat little unit that actually has remote control which is totally switched out of the circuit when listening.

Indeed, I am using my Creek Passive as I type as it is currently plugged into a hot and bothered Monarchy Audio SM-70. The SM-70 is a perfect candidate as it is a very sensitive amplifier, actually more sensitive than most.

Basically, the passive option is just about as transparent as you can get for the money; in fact, it can be shockingly transparent as most that are used to mediocre mid-fi receivers and integrateds will be bowled over by this aspect. Most active line stages are poorly done and tend to add grain to the signal. Unfortunately, you DO need shot interconnects, perferably no longer than a meter to keep from rolloff. AND your source components must put out at least 2V or so (a standard for most CD players) and have a GOOD power supply. I found the CDP's power supply quality to actually make a difference in this.

What do you lose with a passive? Well, if in a perfect situation, not much. On the other hand, compared to a good tube preamp, a passive can sound slightly less dynamic through the midrange; this might also be perceived as a loss of midrange warmth or drive. Sometimes you lose a bit of the pacing.

Still, I recommend one to have as an option to try and they are so inexpensive, it is a no-brainer. It is the cheapest way to top quality sound if the parameters are right. Ultimately, if I had a choice, I would chose a good tube preamp with SET. But sometimes the passive option is extremely appealing. And the little Creek unit "used" brings the cheapest and best sounding remote control option I have ever heard (see pic and description of it in my "alternate components link).

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-09-2002 at 04:37 AM

Speaking of Creek Audio. One would think folks here would be big fans of their integrated units with passive preamps and MOSFETs - but I don't recall ever hearing them mentioned here.

About every couple of months I'm tempted to try one out.

------------------

deanG

I love the little Creek units. Very clean design and it does have nice buttoned up sound. Unfortunately, in that price range, a good tube integrated wipes it out. But if you are in the need for a neat SS integrated, the little Creek 4330 and 4330se are great amps...used that is. I just wouldnt come NEAR to paying what they want new.

kh