Custom 3 cables

gmg888

When storing in the provided large case, I hold the headsets in the palm of one hand and wrap my Image or Custom 3 wires loosely around two fingers. This creates a soft coil that fits neatly into the receptacle in the lower right quadrant of the case. There is no chance for kinks with such care. I never use any type of wire tie device on my headphone cables.

When storing in the provided large case, I hold the headsets in the palm of one hand and wrap my Image or Custom 3 wires loosely around two fingers. This creates a soft coil that fits neatly into the receptacle in the lower right quadrant of the case. There is no chance for kinks with such care. I never use any type of wire tie device on my headphone cables.

The fact you have to go to such lengths to avoid a problem that simply does not occur when a different insulator material is used adds further credence to this being a mfr/design defect. As with most, my problems existed right out of the box. The insulator used, if in fact it is Teflon, resists chaffing, and is primarily used in applications where the wire is under some tension. There needs to be a bit more disclosure on this issue as a lot of folks are making very public complaints about this. There is no doubt the sound of the C3's is remarkable, it is why I did not initially return them but there should be a recall of sorts to correct this problem. I for one will take a touch extra weight added to the IEM's via a different insulator in order to abate this problem.

I wouldn't call it going to great lengths, just taking some care with thin wires on a fairly expensive piece of gear.

But then as a roadie type I'm naturally picky about cable handling. The average consumer might think they can just wad them up and they'll last forever. That's not how wire works.

I have been reading this post and keeping track of what is being said because I am concerened about my own Custom 3's. I have been reading about how it is everyone else's fault but Klipsch that the cables are bending and think that Klipsch should admit to the problem and stop trying to put it in our laps.

I think we all understand "how wire works" and are being very careful with a set of earphones in the $300.00 dollar range.

The "cold climate" reason is absolute crap. I have mine in the house (of course), where it is WARM and the cable is WAY too ridgid and, like other's have said came out of the package with kinks in the cable.

I am a huge Klipsch fan and I actually take offense to them telling everyone that it's our fault and that we should be more careful with our stuff. I am a 39 year old man and have been around long enough to know how to take care of things. I don't abuse my vehicles or my lawn tractor or my tools or my wife or my microwave oven or my son.

The problem is clearly with the product and not how it is being handled.

Mine are carefully wrapped up in an old container that a set of Sony earphones came in. The container is ridgid plastic and rotates so that the cable is pulled into the container and kept in a nice neat coil and protected from damage and actually "hold their shape" after being removed from the container. I have never seen another set of headphones do this.

After reading this and many other posts about the Custom 3 cables, I wrapped some electrical tape around the jack in an attempt to keep mine in good condition. I hope it helps because I do enjoy the IEM's but do feel that they require too much "care" when being handled. They just don't feel strudy enough for everyday use.

And after reading the many complaints about them, I take even further care when handling them then I did before.

I wouldn't call it going to great lengths, just taking some care with thin wires on a fairly expensive piece of gear.

But then as a roadie type I'm naturally picky about cable handling. The average consumer might think they can just wad them up and they'll last forever. That's not how wire works.

OK Lets define rough cable handling. For a set of $300 headphones designed for the average Joe consumer to use, the insulator chosen should have some degree of malleability to it. Can you abuse them no of course not, but normal wear and tear should not cause damage over a very short period (we're talking days here, they came out of the box kinked). These things were designed to be wound up and stored in a small enclosure. They should stand up to the design limits. The design in this case fell short of reasonable consumer expectations. Waaay short. These cables are being harshly critiqued on other web sites. The simple fact is that is bad for business. It is a quality control issue. People like myself are not just wadding them up. Making a comment like that while trying defend Klipsch is simply taking an uninformed position. Poppin off with "that not how wire works" is a dog that simply won't hunt here. Look at the evidence it continues to mount. I tried to keep my grievance private but the dialogue went dead. I enjoy and exhibit a pretty defined loyalty to Klipsch products but some people seem to overzealously defend this company as if it cannot be at fault. That approach is ridiculous. Normally Klipsch’ customer service is first rate, but that is not so in this case. They are at fault here and should make good complaints in order to restore their credibility in this market. They need to keep communication open. They have been very tight lipped other than to try to find fault in the consumer, the folks keeping them in business. Their mobile music products have had a good number of complaints here. iGrooves with repeated remote issues, headphones with cable problems, there is clear evidence the product line needs more attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread closely, and hoping that I'd see solutions being offered. Unfortunately haven't seen any yet, so I guess I'll have to add my voice to the unhappy ones already here.

I got my Custom-3s at Christmas 2008. Cables were stiff right out of the box, so explanations like skin oils and cold weather don't seem to stack up. I have always been very careful with them, as I am with all my gear.

Here it is 3 months later, and the cable has developed one very nasty kink where the flexible earpiece ends, and the insulation has worn off - see the photo.

I have had MANY different types and brands of headphones and earphones without EVER experiencing a problem like this. I expected these to last a lifetime, and am getting very worried about whether they'll make it through the next few weeks/months.

Please don't say to take them back to where I bought them, they were from Amazon.com and I'm now living in France. How can I get this sorted out?

post-23199-13819454893148_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On top of the cables kinking all the time, my cables started to burst after less than a WEEK of casual use. I, like many others, take excellent care of my equipment and go to great lengths to keep them from getting tossed around carelessly.

2v1w2f7.jpg

wi697o.jpg

Here is my review with pictures:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/my-klipsch-custom-3-review-pics-included-cable-bursting-connector-after-7-days-411549/

I missed the deadline to return them to the apple store, so now I'm only left with sending them to Klipsch to have them "repair" these, or send me a new set that will probably have the same terrible cable and will probably burst too. :( Although they sound good I regret buying them more and more every day. I can't believe Klipsch will offer a 2-year warranty on their new cheapy S4 and only a 1-year on their top of the line Custom 3.

I waned on this situation for a while. I was one of two people to be the first to get the new Custom 3 even before they really came out. I had won them in 2007 when I attended the Klipsch Annual Pilgrimage. It took about a year for them to reach production, at the time we heard prototypes. I received mine probably February of 2008. The cable on that was supple, I at the time had a 4g 60 gig ipod that I did not use that much since it is a brick to today's standards. So the Custom 3 were barely used for half a year or more. I then got a 16 gig 4g nano in October and started to use it more. Around February I had the same reoccuring problem with the cable right at the 90 degree mini stereo connection and wire meet. If I pushed the wire in the music would stop, If tugged on it the music would start, which is weird I thought. After about 2 weeks of that it finally gave in, the midbass was gone but the highs were still there. This made me wonder if there are 4 wires in there instead of two since this is a dual driver headphone. I guess it has to because of that. Well I graciously sent a replacement and low and behold, The wire was stiff out of the box. The kinks are just like the ones shown on the photos. I believe the supplier whoever they are changed the material. I counter the action of the skin oil since the older one was used and developed no kinks overtime. The cold debate may be true to an extent but I have on occasion left the headphones and ipod in the case in my car's trunk during the winter where sometimes the temperature has dipped to 15 degress F. The waterbottles I had in my car literally froze solid. But that cable developed no kinking tendancies. I am not sure but I feel that it is necessary to speak out about the headphone now. Also I am not sure if people have noticed but the 1/8 ministereo connection gold plating is less "golden" on the new one versus the current. It looks almost brass like while the original one had a deeper golden hue.

My original pair of custom 3's purchased from klipsch (2/08) came with cables that were fairly supple. they hung loosely and I could roll them around my hand and place them in thier case. Later when I retrieved them they would unroll without any real kinking. I had to RMA them 11/08 due a short in the boot covering the jack. The (replacement?) pair i recieved have cables like those mentioned in previous posts. Hard, kinky, constantly getting tied up in hard angles. I wonder, did klipsch change the cable material? i thought maybe this was refurb materials but now since reading posts here , i'm thinking klipsch went with some less effective material. i will be calling them in the morning to try and find out more. this new cabling has completely detracted from my enjoyment of these great sounding headphones. Sadly, if some suitable arrangement can't be made, this will be my last pair from klipsch.

So was it my imagination, or did others have really nice cables on thier Custom 3's????

george

I am having the same problem. I demo'd a pair of Custom 3's that I ordered directly from Klipsch last year. The cables were soft and plyable, and I never had any kinking problems. I ended up returning them for a pair of Image. I forgot them on the train one day, so I decided to go back to the Custom 3's this time. I ordered them from Amazon this time, since I had $300's in GC's and the new pair I got is quite different from the first pair. The cables are stiff and not even close to being as plyable as the first pair. The wire on my first pair straightened out almost immediately, but this second pair never has. All of the kinks that were their from the original packaging are still there. The inner portion of the cable started coming out of the braiding within a day or two right next to the memory wire. Now it is coming out right next to the housing by the 1/8 connector. I have had these headphones for 1 - 1.5 months, and I always put them in the case and coil the wire up like others have shown in their pictures.

I am so disappointed, and I am starting to question the build quality of these headphones. The rubber stress relief portion next to the metal housing started ripping on my Image headphones. I only had those headphones for around 6 months, and they started ripping at least a month or two before then.

If this is the type of quality Klipsch is going to put into their headphones from now on, then I want nothing to do with them. Right now I can't help but feel some buyer's remorse for not spending the additional money on the Westone 3's. Hopefully my replacement Custom 3's will be better. If they are not, I will likely sell them and buy something else instead. Too bad they don't have replaceable wires, or I would just buy a better quality 3rd party wire.

Before anyone flames me for this being my first post. I came on here to try and find out where to find the serial number, and then I saw the OP. I felt compelled to add my own experience, and I don't see how it is possible that the materials haven't changed from that first pair to the second pair I have now.

I purchased my set of Custom 3s in July 08. Out of the box, the cable was kinked because of the very tight wrapping by the packager.

I had given it time to try to unkink itself, but I too am not very happy with the fact that I paid $300 plus local taxes for a set of headphones that have a permanently kinked cable which is leading to premature wear.

If I was a Klipsch Quality Assurance manager, I would visit the Custom 3 packaging warehouse to correct this problem before they get indunuated with RMAs for worn/broken cables.

On a positive note, these headphones are like manna from heaven. I never thought I would find a set of in-ear phones that actually sound better than my MB Quart QP-240 open air monitors (bearing in mind I'm comparing these things without a headphone amplifier on my portable player versus plugged into my home audio setup).

Noise isolation is excellent, and the over the ear design has been what I have been waiting for. As a motorcyclist, I have tried all manner of earphones, and when I discovered the Custom 3s, it was almost as if the designers were reading my mind!

• 1 month later...

There is s noted issue with the cable chosen for these IEM's. The complaints have continued but it seems nothing is being done to rectify this situation. I really wish Klipsch would open up and explain how they are going to make good on the customer complaints/concerns for those who received these things kinked out of the box. My wife and I have his issue and we received them within a week of one another. This is a mfr defect IMO. I would love to buy a set of X5/10's to use for travel but I am hesitant due to the problem cable chosen for the C3's. This is really a frustrating and disappointing situation.

My left channel was actually cutting in and out right out of the box, but then it was good for a few months. The last couple of months it has been about half volume with no highs. So is Klipsch allowing you to send them back and will they fix them? I can't remember how long the warranty is.

On a side note, I just bought the S4's for my girlfriends bday, but haven't received them yet.

Even better?

As a Canadian, after completing a support request through promedia@klipsch.com, I was redirected to www.microncanada.ca whom never even responded to my request for assistance.

Needless to say, if no one gets back to me before the warranty period expires, I will be boycotting Klipsch and dissuading anyone in all of the online/local communities I frequent to support Klipsch at all.

I personally don't feel like I have unrealistic expectations, and so far, it has been an extremely disappointing ownership experience.
I hope if anyone on this board actually has pull within the Klipsch organization, that s/he will find the time to bring our concerns to the attention of someone who can do something for us.

A very dissatisfied customer,
Michael

My left channel was actually cutting in and out right out of the box, but then it was good for a few months. The last couple of months it has been about half volume with no highs. So is Klipsch allowing you to send them back and will they fix them? I can't remember how long the warranty is.

On a side note, I just bought the S4's for my girlfriends bday, but haven't received them yet.

3 years

• Moderators

Even better?

As a Canadian, after completing a support request through promedia@klipsch.com, I was redirected to www.microncanada.ca whom never even responded to my request for assistance.

Please forward me your email, and I'll make sure someone takes care of this for you.

The warranty on these is for 2 years. Please contact us directly with any questions or concerns about your warranty.

Side note: we have redesigned the packaging for the headphones.

Thank you!