Will I hurt this Quadrophonic Record....

thebes

...by playing it on my 2 Channel rig.

It's a German Pressing of Emi's Quadrophonie (german) release of Tschaikowsky's 1812 Overture by the London Symphony. In perfect condtion, ie. MN plus, plus, plus.

I'd hate to grind off the extra two channels or something.

You won't do it any good but the quad records used a different shaped diamond tip so you are probably playing in a different part of the groove. They carry the the rear channel information in the 20,000 hertz to 40,000 hertz band so just about any play will knock off the carrier signals. I never went with quad and it didn't last too long. Is anybody left using a true quad system anymore?

Thanx, Russ

To clarify Russ' statement, that only applies to CD-4/DISCRETE quad vinyl recordings. There are also two other quad formats, SQ-matrix and QS-matrix, but in these formats a carrier signal tells a matrix decoder which front left and right signals to send to left and right rear channels, and how strongthose signals will be.

Either way, playing a quad album in stereo wil not likely do any harm to it.

CD-4/Discrete requires a CD-4 demodulator in the preamp and a record cartridge which will have a Shibata nude stylus installed and also have a frequency response form 20-40k Hz or even up to 60k Hz.

Thanks, guys, another world of audio of which I have no knowledge. It's a SQ, but I'm thinking I might better leave it alone. There might be a quad freek here I could give it to. Of course, it could have been already played without a quad system, but it sure is minty visually.

It would be cool though to compare to my Telarc. Oh,hell maybe I'll just listen to the cannons blasting.

On second thought, (a rarity in the world of Thebes)...

No harm whatsoever, Marty. Matrix quad is identical to regular 2 channel except for the phaseing of the rear channels. This info is simply played through the front without a passive (Hafler) or active decoder and the sound is fine. If you have Dolby ProLogic II available any matrix quad album will sound better than it did with an SQ or QS. I have a number of them and play them that way.

Dave

Ya might rabbit, ya might.

I beg to differ JB....You are quoting the Irish cop in "Bugs and Thugs" who answers BB after BB say's " Now look, would I turn on this gas if my friend Rocky was in there?"

Your cell was from "Falling Hare" and the proper caption should be....:Shh. These blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them *just* right" ( Ok wrong caption but right cartoon)

now for your assignment I want you to watch a 20 hour marathon of looney toons [:P][:P][:P][:P][:P][:P]

OK I have really lost my mind.......

I was refering to true quad/CD-4 records. The others aren't damaged anymore than playing a regular stereo record or in my experience about 10 good plays before the noise floor starts to raise. I still can't quite picture a needle moving at 40,000 hz but they went far past that point with CD-4!

Thanx, Russ

Marty,

If you think you might have hurt it already then the best thing to do is to take it out and buy it dinner.

Everybody thinks I have a sense of humor.[:D]

OT, the sun came out yesterday for a few moments and I got a much closer look at the lp and it's got a couple of small scratches and is probably closer to VG+++/NM than NM+++.

It does sorta seem I could get away with playing a brief passage without undue harm, and unless you really think I shouldn't, I'll just send it along unplayed by me.

Now as the giftee of this rare and valuable pressing which cost me the lordly sum of 50 cents, I would think it would be incumbent upon the recipient to forward said mailing address. It's a power trip, dontcha know.

Ya might rabbit, ya might.

I beg to differ JB....You are quoting the Irish cop in "Bugs and Thugs" who answers BB after BB say's " Now look, would I turn on this gas if my friend Rocky was in there?"

Your cell was from "Falling Hare" and the proper caption should be....:Shh. These blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them *just* right" ( Ok wrong caption but right cartoon)

now for your assignment I want you to watch a 20 hour marathon of looney toons Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongue

OK I have really lost my mind.......

Dang you're good.

Now as the giftee of this rare and valuable pressing which cost me the lordly sum of 50 cents, I would think it would be incumbent upon the recipient to forward said mailing address. It's a power trip, dontcha know.

Why are you worried about a 50 cent record for?

Ok I'll play dickweed.

It's really pretty simple. I bought a Marantz8b for $50. Since then, hell before then, I've valued every stereo related purchase against that standard. So let's take a 50 cent record which works out to one, one hundreth (am I speaking slow enough for you) of a Marantz8b.

Ok, so what?

Well, say I play music 10 hours a week and listen to 10 albums, and every week for 20 weeks I play 10 different albums each week.

Let's say I bought all of them for 50 cents apiece. So after 20 weeks I've played the monetary equivalent of my 8B purchase (Hopefully, math ain't my strong suite).

Yeah?

Guess what. For all of those weeks those albums have been played on, I'm sure you've figured it out by now, my Marantz8b.

Ultimately price don't matter. If you paid a dime or $100 and it's minty and sounds real, real good, you're ahead of the game anyways.

OK, I'm sure your are thinking to yourself, "hah, I'm the one whose ahead of the game, I got this dude to respond to a pointless piece of bait."

Sorry Nancy, I'm a subscriber to the "Dirty Word of the Day" and today's word is dickweed.

(God, I miss that fowled feather fiend, the intelligent and alway provocative, Paul Parrot.)