2.0 vs 2.1 (RF-7s and AV123 MFW-15)

Groto

Hi. I realize this is the 2-Channel Audio forum, but I thought this question would fit best here. I currently have 2 RF-7s as my mains and 2 RB-75s as my rear speakers. I just purchased an AV123 MFW-15 subwoofer to keep up with the RF-7s. I listen to a lot of music and was wondering what your opinions are on whether or not I should cross the RF-7s over at 80hz and use the sub when I listen to music or just continue doing 2-channel for music. I calibrated my system with my receiver's built in functions and then fine tuned with AVIA and an SPL meter. Also, I like listening to a lot of Pipe Organ music because of the crazy low LFE which is one of the reasons I am debating using the sub for music.

I know a lot of people prefer just using the main speakers for music, but I am not sure what all the benefits of that would be. Thanks in advance and sorry if these questions do not belong here.

• Moderators

No expert here but I would do just what you said, use the sub, cross at 80 and try to get it to blend in as best you can with placement and phase. If you can't tell it's there except for the added depth you have done it right.

If listening to pipe organ music then a sub is a must as no full range speaker will dig deep enough.

As for the crossover point, it will all depend on the RF-7's abilities, room acoustics and sub itself. I tried 80Hz with my own system but this was way too high (CW III mains) with my sub (DD-18). Changing to 50Hz stopped me reaching for the sub remote to adjust the levels from track to track.

I run a SVS 20-39 PC Plus with my La Scalas. It sounds amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way. But, as others have said, play around with placement, crossover settings and phase. When it disapears.......you've got it right!

........and by all means, have fun and Enjoy the Music!

Dennie

I cross my subs at 60hz with my RF-7's........sometimes 40hz for that real deep "air" that pressurizes the room. Generally, 55-60hz works best for music with the 7's.

If they have a tendancy to get "boomy" that's a good thing...........that means you just need to turn down the gain. [:D]

Pipe organ music? Can you give me some examples of what this music is like? Sounds like it would be cool to check out with my SVS's.

Thanks for all of the responses! I will try playing with the crossover and see how it works.

Also SWL some real good examples for pipe organ music would be Felix Hell music or Pomps and Pipes/Crown Imperial cds from the Dallas Wind Symphony.

Thanks to all again.