Which amp?

Violar

Hi everybody,

I have two 1978 Klipschorns which i have been using with the same aplifier for as long as I rember, I was thining about buying a new amplifier as with the one I have only one speaker seems to work (I have tried troubleshooting and the problem is defintely the amplifier when i toggle the amp knob both speakers work but it only works if i actually hold it half way between CD and AUX - not really a way to fix the problem).

Does any of u have any brand/model to reccomend? I know this might sound like dumb question, but unfortunatley I don't know much abt amps and speakers and my friends don't seem to be very helpful, they're all scared of the khorns, nobody has seen them before - I grew up with them and I really wish they would sound as good as I remember when I was a child..

Thanks!

Welcome, I don't have the same speakers but I would think the thought process is the same.

Budget?

Receiver, intergrated amp/preamp or preamp & amp, solid state or tubes?

Now get your hands on as many different ones that you can and buy what sounds best to you.

Sorry no magic answer but sifting that a few thousand threads here will show some favorites within each type/cost level. Spend some time, enjoy the chase.

Buy the way it sounds like a bad input selector the way you describe it, can you plug the source into another input and try that. In other words, if you are using a CD player plugged into "CD IN" try putting it into aux 2 or tape 1, anything other than phono in.

Welcome to the forum!

Well as far as amps go the world is your oyster......It would help if we knew a little more about the rest of your system, your musical tastes, sources, and budget...

Lot's of ways you can go.....and it really depends on what you want out of an amp

do you have a preamp? if so which one...

are you looking for tube or Solid State? Vintage or Modern?

There is a synergy that goes into a whole system that makes it more than the sum of it's parts, and you don't need to mortgage the house to get it...

I could start rattling off brands and model numbers, but that would be moot at this point...some folks love say the warm, lush, Dare I say dark sound of vintage Mcintosh......others only want clear, transparent, revealing sound of say Pass Labs.....and there are a thousand in between....

Hi,

the amp has the same probem no matter what the input..

i guess ideally i'd buy an integrated amp - budget is tight... I guess btw 200 and 300 euros (i live in italy)

which should be around 300-400 dollars

Just saw your last post.......Keep an eye out for a vintage Sansui au 7700 or 7900......but as with any vintage gear...it works until it stops dead in it's tracks and will need to be serviced

have you looked into servicing what you have now?

I just noticed that you have used the word "AMP" when describing the problem. What exactly is the unit (amp, preamp, receiver, make/model?) If it is indeed a seperate amp then input should make no difference as this would be control by the preamp.

BUDGET is of primary importance before recomendations.

If you like the way the K Horns look it is like refurbishing your house; a great investment.

Do not go too cheap K Horns magnify poor quality equipment.

I would make a part of my budget crossover network capacitor replacement or network upgrade. My Belles are 1978 and the network change was very involving. Most of us make recomendations to reduce fatigue. Most people want to spend more time with their stereos but get bored and restless. I get consumed.

A Harmon Kardon receiver or integrated amp from the late 70s is a good amp for compatibility with Horns.

I started with a 1963 HH Scott tube amp on my Belles ( amp refurbished by a qualified technician of course)

Good Luck

Rick

Hello Violar,

I have no idea what they sell for in Italy, but as they are made there I imagine you could get a good deal on an used Pathos Classic One integrated amp, series II (I believe series III is out now). I have heard this amp (series II) on LaScalas and Forte IIs and it sounds great. It looks pretty good, too. Pathos' website is in English and Italiano: http://www.pathosacoustics.com/

-Phil